The Gerhardt Star Wars Recordings

MrScratch

So is any version of the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra. Yet we don't complain about that!

I would blame lack of rehearsal time on any performance flubs that might excist.

I ask again, could the Utah orchestra nail Total Recall?

We don't complain about the Hollywood Studio Symphony because they do explicitly this sort of work for a LIVING. They are trained and used to performing at their best at a moment's notice, with little to no rehearsal. These players in the National Philharmonic may be among "the best" in London, but they make their main living by playing in normal season orchestras that have more rehearsal time available. They aren't as good at sight-reading or getting a cohesive sound with others as the members of the Hollywood Symphony are. Being the best at one's instrument doesn't automatically mean you are the best in a pick-up ensemble scenario. And it shows in these recordings.

A friend of mine is a regular member of the Hollywood Studio Symphony, and I can honestly say that while he is a great player, he has not "won a big gig" (i.e. Principal or a tenured section position of a major orchestra). Yet the soundtrack recordings he plays in, still sound overall more flawless than recordings of the "big name" orchestras. It's simply a matter of how one is used to making one's living. He is better accustomed to learning on the fly and playing his best in a studio setting than even the best symphony player in the world. Yet the best symphony player in the world is the best at turning out meaningful, moving classical performances weekly, year-round.

If you have the old Polydor TESB CD.

Compare the beginning of "Han Solo And The Princess" on the Polydor-CD with the same Track on the 4-CD-Box or the Special Edition-CD.

I promise, you don´t believe it.

The Utah Symphony Orchestra version of The Imperial March is fantastic. It does have its problems that could be improved for me though. Tempo is notibly too fast, the trombones could be a lot stronger within the piece and the bass drum could be a little quieter.

It does have its problems that could be improved for me though. Tempo is notibly too fast, the trombones could be a lot stronger within the piece and the bass drum could be a little quieter.

Why are these "problems"though? there are part of what makes those performances unique and therefore worthwhile.

Why do so many soundtrack fans expect a re-recording to "sound just like the OST's".

What would be the point of that?

I like the short Star-Wars-Saga-Suite on this Album:

UMOB_3188__34306__08122011105434-9122.jp

It is a digital recording from 1985.

Main Title

Princess Leia´s Theme

The Imperial March

Yoda´s Theme

Han Solo And The Princess

Parade Of The Ewoks

That's a recording that has had quite a few releases though the years. Under lots of names and from lots of obscure labels.

My CD hasn't even have track markers for a lot of these cues.

It is however the only known LSO performance of the Han Solo & The Princess concert version.

That's a recording that has had quite a few releases though the years. Under lots of names and from lots of obscure labels.

Yes, but the MFSL (that i have) is the original-release.

It is however the only known LSO performance of the Han Solo & The Princess concert version.

Yes, that´s right.

Very true. The Skywalker Symphony album is extremely clean and revealing - but somewhat sterile-sounding, with very little reverb. Also, most of the instruments/sections were too closely miked, IMO. For me, hearing the the individual parts so easily detracts from the overall impact of the music.

The album was recorded in was what then the brand-new Skywalker Ranch recording studio, so the album was a test-run (of sorts) for the studio and its engineers.

Thankfully, the musicians performed admirably.

The Skywalker Symphony CD can be completely ignored!

For me it has the best Throne Room recording and Here They Come.

The best performances of THRONE ROOM AND FINALE are on these two albums:

MI0001090810.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

51CK16xIVML._SY300_.jpg

The best HERE THEY COME is on the Kojan/Utah album.

The album was recorded in was what then the brand-new Skywalker Ranch recording studio, so the album was a test-run (of sorts) for the studio and its engineers.

And it probably needed to be a calling card for the studio.

Is the Skywalker Symphony really regarded as a leading soundtrack orchestra? They don't seem to do that much in the way of movies and if anything I know them more for their Halo recordings these days.

The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra (SSO) is "a confederation of freelance musicians from around the San Francisco Bay Area" and is the "house band of Skywalker Sound."

When he was first assembling the orchestra, I'm sure George Lucas got the word out to the San Fransisco Symphony (and other orchestras in the area) in order to widen the applicant pool.

No, the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra is comprised entirely of musicians under contract with LucasFilm. Other musicians/orchestras can record at Skywalker Sound... for a fee, of course.

The Skywalker Symphony CD can be completely ignored!

For me it has the best Throne Room recording and Here They Come.

The best performances of THRONE ROOM AND FINALE are on these two albums:

MI0001090810.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

51CK16xIVML._SY300_.jpg

The best HERE THEY COME is on the Kojan/Utah album.

I agree these contain awesome performances. I'm partial to the Zubin Mehta version. I love the faster tempo for the end titles.