Did Munich rob John Williams of his last chance for an Oscar?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Did Munich rob John Williams of his last chance for an Oscar?

There's nothing in Memoirs of a Geisha even remotely close to being on the level of Lament, Moving Things Along, Anakin's Dark Deeds, It Can't Be or The Boys Continue. Revenge of the Sith didn't even get a nomination...

Because ROTS was ineligible, I believe. If any prequel score should have been nominated, it's TPM.

There's nothing in Memoirs of a Geisha even remotely close to being on the level of Lament, Moving Things Along, Anakin's Dark Deeds, It Can't Be or The Boys Continue. Revenge of the Sith didn't even get a nomination...

And rightly so. One of John's weakest scores this century. War Horse Tin Tin Book Thief all are better.

Munich is ordinary and unmemorable.

MUNICH > MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA.

I might just have to listen to Munich now.

Very good score. But Sharky just confused the lesser than sign for the greater than sign. Poor chap ;)

I don't think Munich had any chance to win Best Score

Was still rooting for him though

The last true shot JW had was HPSS, because the themes have become iconic

It probably came down to how many Academy members were Potter fans vs LotR fans

And the one time where a double nom for JW really hurt his chances

MUNICH > MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA.

I might just have to listen to Munich now.

Very good score. But Sharky just confused the lesser than sign for the greater than sign. Poor chap ;)

I love Sayuri's Theme and End Credits but I find the rest of the score dull. MUNICH is incredibly rich.

Munich has a lot of neat textural things going on.

But there's a multi-facetedness to Memoirs that you can't help but admire. Whether it be that ripe culmination of Williams developing minimalist structures, the virutuoso soloist writing or the ethnic colours, there's an undeniably fresh sound to the score, especially at that point of his career.

And aside from the two sublime cues you've mentioned Sharky, there are lots of great cues in the score:

And of course, the concert suite deserves special mention for it's brilliance. I assume you've heard it Sharky?

Williams went on the Tonight Show? Damn, he must have really wanted that Oscar eh?

And yes, that theme is beautiful. Really brings out that sense of the surreal and spiritual in the score.

Munich robbed me of all joy. I really haven't been quite the same since. It's taken about 600,000 consecutive plays of E.T., Star Wars, Indy, Jaws, Close Encounters, Superman, Amazing Stories, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and the NBC News music, but they're just placebo. Munich ruined everything,

Munich robbed me of all joy. I really haven't been quite the same since. It's taken about 600,000 consecutive plays of E.T., Star Wars, Indy, Jaws, Close Encounters, Superman, Amazing Stories, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and the NBC News music, but they're just placebo. Munich ruined everything,

And just when I thought you were starting to broaden your horizons...

Or maybe he is and just doesn't like Munich?

Or maybe he is and just doesn't like Munich?

By liking more boring scores, you are demonstrating a diverse and eclectic taste as well as a high tolerance for the mind numbingly dull.