What's the best sounding recording of a John Williams score?

Sharkissimo

While we're talking about sound...

Is it just me or does the commercial album for War Horse sound relatively poor? It sounds very fuzzy and indistinct. The MP3-like distortions in the french horn section in "The Reunion" don't help its case.

The recording quality for The Book Thief leaves a lot to be desired too. There's a lot of hissing in that one and the ensemble feels thin.

That's weird, because I think every single title mentioned after my post sounds great -- in fact, some of them sound spectacular!

I think they talk about the mp3 they found on torrents.

While we're talking about sound...

Is it just me or does the commercial album for War Horse sound relatively poor? It sounds very fuzzy and indistinct. The MP3-like distortions in the french horn section in "The Reunion" don't help its case.

The recording quality for The Book Thief leaves a lot to be desired too. There's a lot of hissing in that one and the ensemble feels thin.

War Horse and Tintin both suffer from those mp3-like artifacts at times. Very strange. I'm disappointed with the sound quality of anything Williams post-ROTS, perhaps with the exception of Lincoln. Lincoln sounds pretty decent, if not spectacular.

SpaceCamp sounds a bit limp and The Witches of Eastwick sounds "hairy".

The forbidden version of The Witches Of Eastwick sounds pretty good and does away with the faulty sound of the official OST.

In what way?

The original CD of E.T. has a very digital brittle sound.

Nope!

Hate coughing too ... or anything that takes me out of it.

However, it does humanize it, I admit to that (but it doesn't make a recording 'superior')

You can hear coughing in concert recording, but not on studio recordings. The occasional creak, turning page or breathing noise can give life to a recording.

A lot of modern filmscore recordings sound too clinical and sterile, like the music isnt played by human beings anymore.

Btw, for me creaking chairs and intakes of air = superior sound.

Agreed. Right up there with audible page turns.

It's not a score, but I think the "Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams" is one of the true best in terms of sound quality. The dynamic range of that album is just impressive, especially the Cello Concerto.

Indeed. It's part of what makes Heartwood John's most sublime piece.

I like Hook (complete) and 1941 (complete), Close Encounters (expanded), ET (20th anniversary) all of which I think sound amazing considering their age. So what do you consider to be a score with "great sound quality"?

Hook always sounded great (that's Murphy at his best). But the 20th anniversary release of E.T.? That's a horrid sounding remix done by Murphy during his bad years. By far the worst of the three CD versions.

Also, none of these are all that old. There are fantastic sounding recordings from the 60s and early 70s - just usually not in the soundtrack world, because nobody cared about preserving the masters.

In terms of film scores, I think Prisoner of Azkaban is particularly detailed and crisp-sounding.

Yes, that marked Murphy's return to form - for Williams, that is. Curiously enough, he kept doing great recordings for Horner and JNH while nearly ruining several Williams recordings. I wonder if Williams is to blame?

Who mixed Jerry Goldsmith's later scores? Those sound absolutely fantastic!

Most Goldsmith starting with (I think) STTMP was done by the amazing Bruce Botnick. (Side note: He was also involved in The Rolling Stones' Let it Bleed and the last album by The Doors, as well as remastering the entire Doors catalogue for a box set a couple of years back).

The last radio recording of Marion's theme we got was almost perfect save for a single cough in the first note

Who mixed Jerry Goldsmith's later scores? Those sound absolutely fantastic!

Most Goldsmith starting with (I think) STTMP was done by the amazing Bruce Botnick.

the 3 c.d. set partly destroy the original mix though . The Sony anniversary set is still the standard for "End Credits" because you can hear the little twinkly electronic noises absent from the 3 c.d. set

Memoirs of a Geisha has a pretty fantastic recording and E.T. is another excellent one.

Jurassic Park has always sounded great! Class leading recording.

Agreed!