Define a John Williams "dust collector" and your listening habits

Unlucky Bastard

Most fans of a certain composer might feel so committed to collecting every single work they've penned, but they can't possibly love every last one of them equally.

I've often heard the phrase "dust collector" thrown around as a pejorative towards those particlar soundtracks that people bought, listened to maybe once or twice and rarely ever revisited it.

In my observation of John Williams land, his scores that are made for intimate dramas or small scale thrillers tend to be the biggest target for the old "dust collector" stamp. But is this the case for everyone? Is it the other way around for others where they tend to reach for smaller, dramatic scores more than the franchisey blockbusters? Is it more complex than that?

Or is this thread's preoccupation with dust make it pointless because half of you dumped your CDs in the trash and you just source your music from Cloud City?

The John Williams CD I own that I've listened to the least - not counting the ones I haven't listened to yet at all - is probably Munich

Probably one of the zany 1960s comedies like John Goldfarb, Please Come Home or A Guide For the Married Man which I have not listened to all that much.

Well technically all my CDs gather dust after they have been ripped onto my computer. :P

Well filmmusic's dust collector is highly surprising but let us not search for pitchforks and torches my good man. He is entitled to his opinion as delusional as it may be.

Well filmmusic's dust collector is highly surprising but let us not search for pitchforks and torches my good man. He is entitled to his opinion as delusional as it may be.

I think large part of it is that I don't like extensive percussive writing in general..

I stopped buying newer Williams scores I know I won't listen to.

Good man!

The only Williams since 1993 I own are Jurassic Park, Indy 4, Stepmom, Minority Report, Episode I, Episode III, Angela's Ashes, Amistad, Rosewood, Seven Years, and Memoirs.

I'm surprised you like Indy 4 but not Harry Potter or Tintin. They are all cut from the same cloth, in a way

I'm surprised you like Indy 4 but not Harry Potter or Tintin. They are all cut from the same cloth, in a way

Except that the Potter scores and Tintin are great scores.

Don't often revisit the 60s stuff. Nor a good number of the small-scale dramas/Americana stuff from the 80s and 90s. E.T. is an infrequent listen and Hook is all but unheard. I think I've only heard Tintin straight through once. The opening is enough for me.

Why not?

Because I've yet to wake up one day and think it's missing from my life. I've yet to see if in a store shelf and try to sneak it out in my cost. I've yet to log into Amazon and see it appear in my cart.