The Office (US Version)

indy4

The Office is back, so I figured it deserved its own thread.

The one last night was pretty good. I was a bit dissapointed at how it seemed a bit too dramatic for The Office, but it was still filled with tons of hilarious scenes.

Angela: "Don't joke about that!" laugh.gif

The newest episode was pretty good. Unfortunately, I don't think anything can top Season 2 for me. I think just about every episode was perfect. Maybe that had to do with the fact Jim and Pam weren't together. That was what gave the emotional edge to the show. Of course, they couldn't delay that much longer (I thought the delay in Season 3 was a bit of a stretch).

Don't get me wrong, I think the episodes have been pretty solid, but Season 2 was definitely its peak and convinced me that this show had the advantage over the original.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything can top Season 2 for me. I think just about every episode was perfect. Maybe that had to do with the fact Jim and Pam weren't together. That was what gave the emotional edge to the show.

Agree 100% - Season 2 was consistently hilarious and poignant, a standard which I've come to realize probably won't be reached again. Though as you say, it's still a good show.

I liked Season 3 the best, though I wish Jim was in Scranton the entire time. But I still want the addition of all those new characters (Andy and Karen).

"Seriously guys, I need to know who did this, or I'm gonna loose MY FREAKIN' MIND!"

I loved the "I guess I'm the devil!" / "Ahh, I'm in hell!" exchange between Michael and Jan...so much truth coming through the antics. :lol:

Indeed! Jan was even wearing red!

And we got some classic Jim in the Tom Cruise scene.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody catch the episode last week?

"Pam, will you...wait for me while I tie my shoe?"

Yeah, classic. Good laughs, but I'm getting tired of 'Michael-centric' episodes.

I thought the most recent was a great semi-return to the classic episodes that actually took place in the office. And Jim pulling out the ring gave me goosebumps!

I'm glad Michael and Jan broke up, that relationship was depressing me. Although I don't think it'll last....

I must say that this one didn't seem to be as packed with hilarious jokes as the others. I still like it more than the episode before it, which was too dramatic for my taste.

Oh, and it was nice to see Kevin's soft side for once.

This new one was not very good, IMO. Sure, there were some funny jokes, but it was way too depressing and dramatic (much like the dinner party). They could have at least ended with some sort of conclusion to all these sad subplots.

Yeah, I liked it a lot for a while, then it turned a bit strange with Ryan on drugs and everything. Again, I wish they would stay in the frickin' office every once in a while. That's where the subtle, true-to-life yet hilarious magic happens. The lockout storyline was funny, though.

Yeah, that seemed promising. But once Toby put his hand on Pam's leg, it go too dramatic. I guess it wouldn't have been as bad if Ryan wasn't high--I mean, a little drama is OK. But the combination of those two events was just...weird.

I don't mind if the storyline is outside of the office, as long as it's funny. For example, "A Benihana Christmas" had some pretty great material outside the office.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my God, that last one was great! Totally hilarious, with just the right amount of drama so that it was not overbearing or overwhelming at all.

Here's what I think will happen:

Pam's thinking about taking a Photo Shop class in New York. Corporate is in New York. Ryan was taking drugs. Jim was a probable candidate for Jan's job when she was about to be fired. So, if Ryan is fired for drug use, in addition to saving his job, Jim may get a promotion. IF that happens, Pam will probably move with him to NY to take those classes.

I guess we'll find out more in the season finale next week.

Oh, and Ray, I know you hate it when they go out of the office, but that wasn't as big a concern for me as the heavy drama in the last couple of episodes was (though the one before this wasn't dramatic or depressing, but it wasn't that funny either).

I agree, I thought both this week and last were great. And I don't hate it when they go out of the office, it just seemed like they forgot what made the show so funny for a while last season and into this season by making it more about big gags rather than the subtle workplace humor. But yeah, that's a plausible theory about Jim and Pam...the tension between Ryan and Jim is interesting, and something I wasn't expecting. The show is definitely heading in a good direction, and next week's finale is supposed to be a big one!

The actress that plays Pam was on Jay Leno, and she said that in the season finale

one of the cast memebers will leave.

I then looked up "The Office" on imdb.com and and final episode was called (spoiler gives away the identity of the person in the previous spoiler bar)

"Goodbye, Toby." I'm thinking that may be a throw off, however, because all it takes for somebody to be spoiled is to press the "info" button on their remote control, and they'll see the title of the episode. My money's on Ryan.

The season finale was AWESOME!!!

So many hilarious laughs. The whole Kevin/the new girl (forget her name) subplot was hilarious.

And the cliffhangers were great, too.

I'm glad there's still hope for Dwight and Angela, could Angela and Andy be the new Pam and Roy?

I'm also glad Ryan's out of power, I was getting sick of him as soon as I found out he was taking drugs. BTW, I wonder if that will tie into anything in the future (the drugs).

Man, a real shame that Jim didn't have a chance to propose, but there'll still be tons of opportunity in the future.

I was sorta hoping for Michael and Toby to get on good terms with each other, some sort of emotional farewell between them (or at least have Toby get revenge on Michael for all that cruel stuff Michael did). But this is just a minor complaint, the episode as a whole was brilliant!

Man, Michael's back with Jan. Ah, I guess we got rid of Ryan, so now we're one down, two to go. Still, though, I wish Michael and Jan would split up for good.

Wow, I never thought I'd be so interested in other people's relationships! ;)

Anyways, I'm really really glad The Office I enjoyed is back on track (starting with the episode before this one). Can't wait for Season 5!

Yep, great finale! The last moment was shocking/great/gross, and I agree that the Kevin being "slow" storyline was hilarious. Poor Jim...but I'm sure he'll get his chance.

Toby said he was leaving for Costa Rica in the episode where they were locked in the building, so this wasn't really a surprise. As for the ending with Dwight and Angela=priceless.

Great episode, although I really do think the whole

Ryan getting busted

thing was going a bit too extreme for a show that's meant to be fairly light hearted.

And that ending was a real moment, and given how Angela reacted earlier, not entirely unexpected, and the Kevin storyline was just cute.

Didn't realise it was the season finale though until those things appeared on screen :P

I like Holly. I hope she comes back next season.

Me too, and I imagine she will since she's Toby's replacement. Could Michael finally have a willing and non-psychotic love interest??

Any woman who'll return your Yoda impression is one to keep!

I wish they had put these deleted scenes in especially the first. Meredith is a bad$$!

Deleted Scene #1

Deleted Scene #2

Holy crap that first one was great! Loved the peanut butter sandwhich bit.

Anyway, I agree with what most of you have said here and I loved the finale. As I've said before, Season 2 was perfection for me and Season 3 was good. Season 4 was a bit hit or miss. I think it felt a little too forced in the beginning (those hour episodes weren't too hot) and unfortunately the strike came into play (man, how I look forward to the Christmas episodes too . . .). But when the show came back I think it came back with a vengeance. This episode was a great example. Nothing felt forced. They didn't try to bust a joke every few seconds and they didn't have to, because you want to know what's going on with the characters. I loved the twists and the only one you could really see coming, I didn't mind 'cause I thought it was kind of a lame place to propose to Pam (c'mon, really wow us with something). Ah well, next season finale!

And in the first time since the end of Season 2, I'm really itching to see what's going to happen with these characters. There were times I felt things were getting old but these last episodes really proved to me that this show is so worth sticking around.

• 4 months later...

This episode was pretty good. I didn't find myself laughing out loud at all, but it had a couple pretty funny bits. And

Jim's proposal

was easily the best part.

Also, it was interesting how

Ryan came back, and how Toby's story might not be over quite yet.

I laughed out very loudly when Ryan was making his excuses to Kelly. "I think I never really processed 9/11." Oh he's such a horrible person.

A great season opener. A little dense for The Office, there was less jokes and more events but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Can't wait to see where this goes. And I love Holly. She's adorable.

I thought it was pretty great, a better start than last year when the hour-long episodes felt like they were spread too thin. And I never expected the gas station "incident"...I really thought they might create more tension with Pam at school, maybe meeting someone there. But in any case, yay!

Holly and Michael rapping was completely hilarious and unexpected. She really is a perfect match for Michael. Too bad he is too idiotic to realize it.

• 1 month later...

I think it's been the strongest and most consistent season since the second, so far. And I'm so sad that Holly left! Incredibly, she was both extremely likeable and a perfect match for Michael. Great character...I hope she returns from time to time. For someone like Michael, there's probably only one person out there like that.

Last week's episode "Customer Survey" was great, unlike the previous one "Employee Transfer". It wasn't bad, just not great.

I think it's been the strongest and most consistent season since the second, so far. And I'm so sad that Holly left! Incredibly, she was both extremely likeable and a perfect match for Michael. Great character...I hope she returns from time to time. For someone like Michael, there's probably only one person out there like that.

I agree about Holly, but I wouldn't say Season 5 is the strongest or most consistent. In fact, I'd say it's the weakest. They're still churning out good/great episodes, but they've been lacking something.

I still enjoy them a ton.

I've been liking this season a lot. Just thought I'd say that. I think the show's quality has been remarkably solid. No episodes I didn't like, although I must admit that there are also almost none that stand out particularly, either. A very dependable pastime.

I watched a couple of episodes from the British version, and they didn't really do it for me.

Of course, the first few episodes of the American version aren't up to par with the ones that follow, so that could be an unfair judgement.

The American version of THE OFFICE isn't a patch on the original British version.

But Carell is so much more pathetic than Gervais...they're very different shows. The UK version is more satiric in nature. The US is more concerned with character. I love a lot of them both, but Gervais' general misanthropy doesn't sit well with me.

The American version of THE OFFICE isn't a patch on the original British version.

But Carell is so much more pathetic than Gervais...they're very different shows. The UK version is more satiric in nature. The US is more concerned with character. I love a lot of them both, but Gervais' general misanthropy doesn't sit well with me.

I don't feel the need to compare them myself. They are different shows, and one's success doesn't lessen the quality of the other. I'm a big fan of Gervais' Extras, and although I haven't really seen much of his The Office (reiterating) I'm sure it's great too.

Last week's episode was great, great, great. Loved it.

I hope Holly comes back

What does everyone think will happen with the Dwight/AngelaAndy triangle?

How about with Jim and Pam?

I think the two styles are very different. The UK version is something I genuinely could picture happening in an office - I don't know how well the Americans here know UK culture, but it's scarily similar. Plus it helps that Gervais has a very similar personality to his character - I don't think he's acting some of the time. Plus, there are some scenes where Brent is actually shown to be doing some real work and making an effort towards it. I've rarely seen Michael Scott do anything even remotely productive, and when he did, it was usually fooling around and trying to win some bet.

Now I know there are some really daft characters in the US, but even so, it's the lack of true realism and exaggeration of everything that makes it different IMO, and why it's survived for 5 seasons.

You must have not seen too many episodes of the US version then.... cause they have shown several times that Michael Scott is an EXCELLENT salesman.... he just got promoted too high, as he's a HORRIBLE manager