What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Looks like he doesn't really care.

This. She was a coke whore. Everyone else in the show are liars and cheaters. Execution is painfully boring. I spend more time on my phone reading this site than paying attention to what's happening :P

Though the first scene with the room service guy and Cooper was hilarious, it went on for like 10 minutes. Lynch has no sense of pacing.

Finished 3 seasons of Trailer Park Boys in a week and straight onto S4. It's getting funnier and more creative with scenarios as it goes on, the thing borders on fantasy at times and it's brilliant for it - a sort of live action South Park is a thought I'm constantly having whilst watching the barmy plots hilariously unravel. But it's also smart, really fucking smart; the actor who plays Ricky should be winning Emmys.

Just finished TWD season 4 ep 8 (Too Far Gone). Possibly the best episode of the series so far. It could have been done at the end of season 3 though, no need to drag it out like this. The governor isn't that interesting a villain for him go occupy one and a half season. Anyway the main death in this episode was very well done. Certainly the most impactful of all the deaths so far, even though I didn't like that character.

Downton Abbey 6x06

So I guess Lord Grantham is going to be fine, and his ulcer burst did kind of tie into the never-ending hospital quarrel. There's no chemistry at all between Mary and the racecar guy, I dunno why she's still pursuing him. She seems so close to putting together the Marigold thing, I wonder how that story will end? I don't get why Daisy is so jealous of Mrs Patmore and Mr. Mason? The open house was pretty funny - realistically, wouldn't they have hired / found people who actually know the history of the place instead of having Cora, Edith, and Mary bumble their way through it? And wouldn't those 3 have actually known more? I guess it was funnier this way. Carson's disapproval of Hughe's cooking and stuff not being up to his standards is just getting ridic. Why doesn't she say something? Why does he have to be so snooty about all this now? Bah. Poor Barrow, can't catch a break. I wonder if his storyline will end sadly or triumphantly, somehow.

Just finished TWD season 4 ep 8 (Too Far Gone). Possibly the best episode of the series so far. It could have been done at the end of season 3 though, no need to drag it out like this. The governor isn't that interesting a villain for him go occupy one and a half season. Anyway the main death in this episode was very well done. Certainly the most impactful of all the deaths so far, even though I didn't like that character.

Season 6, episode 2, perhaps the best of the entire series.

Excited about the possibility of Tom Welling coming to the Flash as Superman in one of the alternate time lines

I'm slow I know. Just some season 4. As expected the episodes after the prison was overrun were slow, but a few of them were very good in terms of showing how desolete the landscape had become. Some God character development and writing too, which is seldom seen in this show. The ep with Rick and his son in the residential neighbourhood was very well done. Can't say the same about the ep with Daryl and Beth looking for alcohol. That was ploddingly bad.

The last episode was great, some fine directing in that one. The confrontation between Rick and the group was shocking, probably the best confrontation between humans I've seen so far in the series.

Looking forward to season 5.

El Rey Network was doing an all-day marathon of From Dusk Till Dawn S2, so I tuned in and watched a few episodes. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a fun pulpy spinoff/AU from the original film. D.J. Cotrona and Zane Holtz are great as Seth and Gordon Gecko, much more fun to watch than George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino.

I'm surprised the show manages to get away with a TV-14 rating. Several f-bombs are dropped, and while the violence doesn't reach The Walking Dead levels, there's a fair amount of blood splatter. I guess when the show's creator owns the network, you have a bit more leeway in what you can do.

Homeland 5x04 Why Is This Night Different?

Good twist at the end, I suppose. I lot of meh to get there. I think the show thinks Carrie and Quinn have more chemistry together than they really do. Quinn just seems like an incompetent spy time and time again. So he wears kevlar to abduct Carrie, but not to the drop that was surely compromised? The Saul/Allison/Syria guy stuff was pretty boring until the final twist. The double-twist ending was pretty good, but why did she speak Russian loud enough for Saul to hear? And why did the assasin's phone call her phone instead of the guy in the post office who had actually called him?

This kinda has a Western feel to it.

The whole comic is a western, except when it gets all "Wrath of God" like. And it is very funny at times. But the story really dragged near the end

That first movie wasn't very good, but I'd still like to see a version with the proper ending one day. At least it would have explained why Daniel Craig was in this!

Count me in for a BBC adaptation. I should read the books again one of these days.

Did you like the books the first time you read them?

I quite enjoyed them, although I wouldn't label them 'masterpieces', which some people have done.

There were some memorable parts though, and I think I'd enjoy re-reading them.

Finished The X-Files, already watched season 3 of Orange is the New Black, now I'm finally getting around to watching Les Revenants (The Returned). Incredible and haunting first episode!

There was some good stuff I'm the third, but I remember it being more a string of settees than a narrative as coherent as what came before (sort of like the last Harry Potter book).

I'm speaking from memory though. Like I said, it's been six years.

Fargo (Season 2), up to Episode 4. This is amazing so far!

Still waiting and saving up the episodes. Looking forward to it. I enjoyed Fargo S1 more than its grandaddy Twin Peaks.

I checked Dark Matter, a science fiction series on Netflix. You wouldn't believe how amateurish and cliched this show is. Only people with no talent whatsoever can makes sci-fi like that (same goes for those who appreciate it).

Alex

Is it Golden Age quality?

Billy Bob's inclusion and some of his especially brilliant scenes probably qualified the show, yes. Plus Martin Freeman finally convinced me, so there's another reason.

Fargo also stands out as having the finest scoring work I've heard in current television.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: season 5

Starts off very light and funny with Buffy fighting Dracula, and eventually ends...not quite so lightly.

Several major mind-fuck moments in this season, starting first of all with the introduction of Dawn. Buffy's younger sister, who's new to the show, and yet had always been there...even though she hasnt. (The "MOM!" cliffhanger really is fantastic).

Outside of the plot mechanics of this season, I really like the addition of Dawn. In one swift stroke Whedon changed the dynamic of the Summers family situation and Buffy is no longer the perrenial only child.

Fans appear to hate Dawn, because she's so annoying. Which is a perfect description of just about every 14 year old younger sibling out there. The casting is spot on, in that Michelle Trachtenberg actually physically looks like she could be related to Sarah Michelle Gellar (both have that slight waif-like quality).

This is an excellent season, despite the fact that the "big bad" is pretty much a complete failure.

I like the idea of Buffy going up against a God. But Glory is both an annoying and a dull character without much threat (despite the fact that they made her very very strong).

Most Whedonesque baddies are very smart. Glory seems purposely designed to be rather dumb. Possibly for plot reasons.

I like the whole idea of the Key. But the main arc of the season does seem to be padded out a bit (The Knights etc)

Overall I would describe season 5 as very good, if a tad uneven. But it's hugely elevated by The Body.

Death in TV is such a fleeting and throwaway thing most of the time. Especially in a fantasy series like Buffy, which has an incredibly high body-count (are there any episodes where no one dies???)

Villians die with incredible, and usually without consequences. Heroes will occasionally die for the noble cause, or be resurrected in some way (both Buffy and Angel died and returned already in this show)

The treatment of death in The Body is horrific, sad, and utterly realistic. Death devoid of all the usual fantasy gimmicks that are so common in the genre. I have never had to deal with the death of someone that close to me. So I can't really comment on it's accuracy. But it felt completely natural, and awful.

It's generally stated to be the best episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which is both accurate and it does both the show and the specific episode a disservice.

The Body is completely unlike the rest of the show in how it deals with its subject matter (except for a short scene near the end, which fees almost like a relief)

I won't hesitate to say The Body is one of the finest episodes produced in American television, ever. Up there with the best of Breaking Bad or any of the other Golden Age of TV favourites.

It forms a symbiotic relationship with the episode that follows it. While The Body eschews anything supernatural, keeps references to the season arc to the bare minimum and treats death and it's aftermath as realistic as possible, Forever puts it into the perspective of the series universe. And does apply a supernatural angle to it. Thankfully in a way that doest cheapen The Body.

Although The Body is a punch in the gut for such a relatively light show, I would definitely not call it the best episode of the series. Reason being it doesn't represent the common characteristics of what make up a typical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It sure is a great episode, but it's a gimmick. It's one of those "kill off a beloved character and make it feel poignant and edgy, viewers will be shocked!" And shock value it has in spades. The whole episode feels like a vehicle for Whedon to exercise some experimentalism with haunting shots and emphasis on sound effects that he might not have gotten away with earlier on, but he hasn't seemed to have revisited this style since he made it.

Again, not the best, but certainly different and unconventional in a series that often slavishly married itself to a formula. If I wanted to initiate someone into becoming a fan of the show, it sure as hell wouldn't be The Body. Probably Hush or the one where she fires a bazooka.