Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Why not BB? Almost all the recorded music is in there somewhere. If two significant theme demos were recorded during the DoS sessions, then they would been underscored some of the documentaries.

I'm 99% sure those two tracks were recorded this year.

That score, while not tolerable for some people, has a kick-ass main them, by the way!

Karol

Yeap. Actually I have started to warm to Hugo after seeing the film and the main theme of Desplat's New Moon is among the strongest he has written.

I still haven't seen Hugo but I listened to the score whilst reading Tender is the Night recently and it seemed to fit quite nicely and I really enjoyed the score as a result. Probably just the French sound complementing the largely French setting of the novel.

Only the Beorn and Woodland Realm themes in DOS were originally written during AUJ. Mirkwood, Tauriel, Tauriel/Kili, Dragon Sickness and Thrain were written for DOS (along with everything that never would have been in Film 1, of course).

I am starting to wonder if this new film doesn't feature a prologue at all, for the first time. I mean, DOS was the first ME film to end on a cliffhanger, so maybe this will be the first one to open without a prologue so they can immediately resolve that cliffhanger

The track, not the theme you dolt!

It could have even been written for DoS, but wasn't recorded till the BOFA sessions, I'm fairly certain.

And if "Dragon Sickness" are those shifting chords, then that was written in support of Smaug's Theme back in AUJ. It was just used in a more prominent solo setting in DoS, no?

Beorn theme was originally written during AUJ? Interesting. Is there a specific reason for that do you know?

Why does this confuse you? Originally there was only 2 films, and Film 1 ended after the Forest River chase, so of course the themes for Beorn and The Woodland Realm would have been fully developed back in 2012.

And we know from interviews that the Tauriel/Kili love stuff was pickup material added after the split, so Shore never would have written that for Film 1.

LOL no clue what you're talking about man... (Re: BB)

To clarify, there is a track on the BOFA tracklist called "Dragon Sickness". We do not know the content of this track, but whatever it may be, it must have been recorded during the BOFA sessions. Simple as that.

The "theme" that Jason identifies by the same name was written much earlier however, and was employed in DoS heavily. But that refers to the motif, not whatever is in that track.

Broke my heart to be called a dolt

Beorn theme was originally written during AUJ? Interesting. Is there a specific reason for that do you know?

Why does this confuse you? Originally there was only 2 films, and Film 1 ended after the Forest River chase, so of course the themes for Beorn and The Woodland Realm would have been fully developed back in 2012.

And we know from interviews that the Tauriel/Kili love stuff was pickup material added after the split, so Shore never would have written that for Film 1.

True. I was thinking of The Woodland Realm in relation to the prologue, rather than the two-film split.

Alvar's the dolt! You're too good to be grouped up with him!

BB, Shore may have written the theme suite last year (though personally, I don't classify it as a theme of its own), but they probably didn't get to record it last year and probably did it this year.

Honestly, I think its a different kind of suite entirely. With a mixture of Smaug themes and dwarf themes in new variations and settings?

I think it's possible that Dragon Sickness is the theme presentation written for DOS (either recorded at DOS or TBOTFA recording sessions, who knows), or it's some kind of extra cue from the score - maybe it's the prologue music or something.

I think it's possible that Thrain is the theme presentation written for DOS (either recorded at DOS or TBOTFA recording sessions, who knows), or it's some kind of extra cue from the score - maybe the chase and "healing" scene from DOS EE since it wasn't on the DOS OST.

Well for one, writing a suite for that motif is like writing a suite based on the Mordor Descending Thirds. It's an accompaniment motif, doesn't exactly warrant an entire theme demo you know? So I'm guessing its centred around the dragon, or Thorin (because of the greed and all).

And it just doesn't make much sense to out DoS recorded cues on the BOFA release. That's what a potential CR release is good for, you follow me?

I think it's more likely that they were recorded this year than last year. If they were recorded last year, I'd think they would have been on the DOS OST.

It IS quite odd to me they share the name of the only 2 theme presentations that didn't make it into the published sheet music book. Could that be a total coincidence?

Well for one, writing a suite for that motif is like writing a suite based on the Mordor Descending Thirds. It's an accompaniment motif, doesn't exactly warrant an entire theme demo you know? So I'm guessing its centred around the dragon, or Thorin (because of the greed and all).

And it just doesn't make much sense to out DoS recorded cues on the BOFA release. That's what a potential CR release is good for, you follow me?

Why shouldn't there be a demo track for that motif, with variations, different orchestrations and such? The Rohan demo is the same theme repeated over and over, varied. The Ent demo is basically nothing but a short sequence of chords, repeated. Hell, Williams wrote a very lengthy Voldemort suite for Sorcerer's Stone, based on nothing but three notes, repeated ad infinitum.

It doesn't have to be a lengthy suite, but a suite nonetheless.

Plus, it makes perfect sense to include a Dragon Sickness suite on the BOFA release, since that is the movie in which the sickness is actually in the focus.

Doug Adams just confirmed it was recorded last year:

The music in the tracks Dragon Sickness and Thrain was recorded last year. BB is correct. All hail BB, the Messenger.

:lol:

Why shouldn't there be a demo track for that motif, with variations, different orchestrations and such? The Rohan demo is the same theme repeated over and over, varied. The Ent demo is basically nothing but a short sequence of chords, repeated. Hell, Williams wrote a very lengthy Voldemort suite for Sorcerer's Stone, based on nothing but three notes, repeated ad infinitum

To be exact the Philospher's Stone motif's short thematic suite is not part of the Children's Suite. It is a separate piece entirely. The actual Voldemort movement combines both of Voldermort's themes and the Philosopher' Stone theme.

It's not a suite, it's a cue from the score. It's "7m3 Three Note Loop" in the sessions leak.

Ah beat me to it Jason. :)

Although it is a bit of a mystery where it would fit in its entirety in the film.

He wants me to apologise, crawl down to his feet, begging for his forgiveness.

But it won't happen!

And GK, like I said, this motif is an accompaniment motif, not a major theme unto itself like Fangorn or the other examples you listed. It'd be like writing a suite based on the Mordor Descending Thirds, doesn't make much sense. I'm sure it'll be Smaug based, if it's a suite.

And I'm sure it was recorded this year, whatever it is! ;)

I never said it was recorded this or last year. I just said it wasn't recorded when the themes were initially presented to Shore!

The themes were presented to Shore?

I'm losing the plot, man.

I never said it was recorded this or last year. I just said it wasn't recorded when the themes were initially presented to Shore!

But who knows? Maybe this time, instead of making demos, Shore recorded his suites with the orchestra before presenting them to PJ because he knew he'd include them on the Hobbit SEs!

I don't want anything from you! You're dead to me!

You guys need to do an epic rap battle! Fight, fight, fight!

I wouldn't worry too much Inky, BB will come back crawling to me with his latest schemes soon enough.

But it won't happen!

And GK, like I said, this motif is an accompaniment motif, not a major theme unto itself like Fangorn or the other examples you listed. It'd be like writing a suite based on the Mordor Descending Thirds, doesn't make much sense. I'm sure it'll be Smaug based, if it's a suite.

How do you know it's not a more elaborate theme, simplified for the finished score? The Fangorn motif is nothing but two chords shifting in rhythmic variations for minutes. I don't think it would a great problem for a composer to get a suite out of such a motif. Even the descending third.

I hope some of this chronology of the recordings for the Hobbit films sees the light of day in Doug's possible upcoming book. I would love to see something along the lines of those smalle In the Making boxes in the book that were part of the Annotated Scores for LotR but I am guessing they will not address these changes in the score much like in Doug's finished The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.

But it won't happen!

How do you know it's not a more elaborate theme, simplified for the finished score? The Fangorn motif is nothing but two chords shifting in rhythmic variations for minutes. I don't think it would a great problem for a composer to get a suite out of such a motif. Even the descending third.

Hey I have heard the Philosopher's Stone motif suite live in a concert. It was terrific guide to the different sections of the orchestra! Not that lively but interesting none the less.

Hey I have heard the Philosopher's Stone motif suite live in a concert. It was terrific guide to the different sections of the orchestra!

So is Peter & The Wolf! And it's more fun, too!

Man it is so overrated, Peter & The Wolf. Prokofiev didn't even compose a multi-part theme for the Farm Yard, which plays significant role in the tale. Williams and Shore would have!

You guys need to do an epic rap battle! Fight, fight, fight!

Epic rap battle are for pussies... and puppies too!

No. I challenge KK to an air duel!

like-boss-funny-pictures-sword-duel.jpg

I accept! You will fall!

skydive__reality_by_haychel-d6croto.jpg