Listen, brethren, to Slalom on Mt. Humol...now I have just one question for you

Agreed. It's my personal favorite Indiana Jones score by a wide margin. As for that year's winner (A Passage to India), I'm sure it's a fine score but it didn't really make an impression upon my viewing of the film.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a masterpiece. Over the years I've just appreciated it more and more and more and more. The kind of score you just want to listen to in complete form every time, you don't skip any tracks.

I still won't agree that it surpasses Raiders, but it is certainly a remarkable score. A wonderful variety of fun and interesting musical ideas tossed together into a mad, gleeful ballet. Good stuff.

TOD is indeed his best Indiana Jones work. And it far outstrips Jarre's A Passage to India, which is a serviceable but routine score. I think the Academy (as always seems to be the case) was simply hesitant to grant such a high boon to the sequel of a film they'd awarded with Best Score honors a couple of years before. They looked at the ballot and thought, "We already lauded Indy for his Raiders March. The sequel must be pretty much the same music again. Oh, but I see Mr. Jarre is up again—and we haven't smiled on him since Dr. Zhivago. . . ."

Let's face it: all too often, where the Academy is concerned, it's not about the music itself. There are other processes at work that frequently lead to disappointment on our end.

I think the Academy (as always seems to be the case) was simply hesitant to grant such a high boon to the sequel of a film they'd awarded with Best Score honors a couple of years before.

But Raiders didn't win Best Score, Chariots of Fire beat it.

Let's face it: all too often, where the Academy is concerned, it's not about the music itself. There are other processes at work that frequently lead to disappointment on our end.

Yep.

Oh, crap! That's right! Why was I thinking it was Raiders. . . ? Well, that's just another example that proves my point. COF had no business beating out a score like ROTLA, but there it is. And they still got it wrong on TOD. ;)

Not only did it invalidate my argument entirely, it rendered me the board's resident non-expert on the Oscars until everyone forgets this little fumble. When I go down, I go down big. . . . :kaboom:

Proving that Williams is a man with a great sense of humor as well as a truly genius craftsman!

.. and who cares about Oscars anyway? Let it go!

Sorry,. Sharky and Richard are ridiculous.

You are right, the score is awesome. Jedi and ToD have the greatest action music ever written.

Jedi score has more soul though, mostly because ToD the film is....Slalom from the first minute until the end. Love the score.