Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Sometimes it's necessary to have rear channels especially in a cue like "Interview With Jango" in order to complete it with out any weird editing.

KM Jesse Harlin told me a long time ago via Myspace in PM that he has the sessions for the Prequels. Why we're only mostly getting film version UE style stuff for AOTC is beyond me. There are a few cues with clean endings though in Battlefront 2 and TFU 2.

Anyways...at least for ROTS they're definitely coming from the sessions.

It may be that LucasArts don't have the sessions themselves but do have the AOTC UE. If Jesse Harlin has the sessions then he must have DOTF in instrumental form complete, or the AOTC finale. Didn't he work on Bounty Hunter's score? If I recall correctly that did not use the UE mix of AOTC but rather the originals.

Sorry, that was Jeremy Soule I meant. But I must wonder if somebody else at LA also has, or had, access to the recording sessions. Note how for TPM's score we're drawing from the same mixes first used in the TPM video game, before the release of the album? Why not replace the material? Although it should be clear that there is some replacement such as the new take for Take To Your Ships (which we still don't have in full). Some of it I believe is recording sessions (IE you can hear a clean opening to "The Homestead" in the video games despite the film and the album fading it in from the last note of "Tsuken Camp")

I try to find a way,even if I have to remove a note to make it sound ok. In this case I just faded out the OST in the previous cue leading into it. And used the game cue as a standalone cue .Sounds no worse than some of Williams microedits in the OST

anyways I think it sounds much more jarring to suddenly have a echo-y ,distorted rear channel rip with sound effects suddenly popping up

I really shouldn't start this again, but that still makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't relate at all to mangling or removing perfectly good music simply because it's not 100% clean or in less-than-perfect sound quality.

That being said, I really only like to listen to DVD rips if I've edited them myself. If it's a score that I haven't edited, I tend to get a lot more distracted by the extraneous noise and the transitions.

That being said, I really only like to listen to DVD rips if I've edited them myself. If it's a score that I haven't edited, I tend to get a lot more distracted by the extraneous noise and the transitions.

That's how I am about the subject.

Just a small heads up when you guys redit "I Am The Senate". The pieces for that cue in TFU 2 need to be pitched by -1%. I noticed it when I was re-editing the better quality material and such into my previous edit. That's the only cue though I've noticed that.

Edit: I've placed that trail ending of 206 now...it's the ending for "The Elevator Scene". I'm such a ditz.

Also, if someone wants, I extracted all the channels out of the Force Unleashed II FMV -- no FMV files were included in the PC rip listed above (it uses 5.1 audio -- I removed two of the channels that never had music and converted the front L/R into one file and the rear L/R into a second file). There still is some SFX (not as much) in most of the tracks, but I am not as familiar with the music to know if there is anything new or not. But even if there was SFX, sometimes it can still show us what is missing from a track, or how something should be properly edited. PM me if are interested in having me upload these.

Andy

Public requests or upload announcements for unofficially released materials are not permitted. Thank you. - Mark.

Also, if someone has that new clean partial verison of the Max Reebo music that was recently released, I don't have that and would like it.

Thanks,

Andy

But the .ogg are the actual music files from the PC version ? The bitrate is already set so what's the point of having them in flac? (other than the ones we don't already have)

I still don't get it.

I have the PC rips from TFU and TFU2 and they are all .ogg files.

Is it because the actual game files are .ogg or whoever ripped the game decided to make .ogg files instead of .flac?

He was talking about recording the rear channels of the 5.1 mix of the cut scenes to get the music from them that isnt in the oggs. since they were his own recordings they'd be in flac. Unless I am mis-understanding something

Don't forget to keep all distribution discussion in the PM system, guys. Thanks!

I don't know,I'm not familiar with the process of ripping.

I don't know if the .ogg files are the "source files" or if it was some other format initially that could have been ripped in better quality

I don't know,I'm not familiar with the process of ripping.

I don't know if the .ogg files are the "source files" or if it was some other format initially that could have been ripped in better quality

No, they're in another format otherwise they'd essentially be easy to take and edit.

I don't believe that the PC folder contains .ogg files. It contains many large .bik files that I don't know how to open and view to isolate music, just view as movie files.

But then again, I only own TFU1 and it crashes after I view the movie before the Felucia level and then doesn't load that level, it just exits to Windows. I won't buy TFU2 until it gets dirt cheap as well.

Here's want I want to know:

According to VLC player the .ogg files for TFU2 are about 128kbps (seems to indicate between 120 and 130 kbps ). Is that the correct bitrate or VLC doesn't really know?

Meaning we could potentially have much better quality than this if the initial files in the PC game were made into flac?

I don't believe that the PC folder contains .ogg files. It contains many large .bik files that I don't know how to open and view to isolate music, just view as movie files.

But then again, I only own TFU1 and it crashes after I view the movie before the Felucia level and then doesn't load that level, it just exits to Windows. I won't buy TFU2 until it gets dirt cheap as well.

well Lego Star Wars II had bik/wgt files, where Lego Indy I had .ogg files so it could be that TFUII has .ogg where TFU didnt

Here's want I want to know:

According to VLC player the .ogg files for TFU2 are about 128kbps (seems to indicate between 120 and 130 kbps ). Is that the correct bitrate or VLC doesn't really know?

Meaning we could potentially have much better quality than this if the initial files in the PC game were made into flac?

The .ogg files ARE the files in the PC game

It would be nice to be certain before replacing the .ogg files with gigabites of flacs (and having to re-do all the edits I made this weekend)

I don't understand how you can be confused about these. The music for the games are stored in OGG files. The quality of those files is whatever it is, and thats it. Why do you think there's a magic way to convert them to something that gives them better quality?

No, of course you can't make the oggs sound better.

But that's not what I meant. I meant if the original files were BIK files or whatever and the guy who ripped the music made low bitrate .ogg from them to save space or something

Ohhhhhhhhhh THAT'S what you're saying! I didn't get that.

I highly doubt anyone would rip the sound out then convert it to OGG, I mean who uses OGG?

They are likely stored in OGG directly in the games themselves

Ohhhhhhhhhh THAT'S what you're saying! I didn't get that.

I highly doubt anyone would rip the sound out then convert it to OGG, I mean who uses OGG?

I dunno. Someone like Marian Schedenig?

It's a bit weird:

The .ogg from the PC rip of TFU1 are about 500 kbps (lossless?) and the .ogg for the PC rip of TFU2 are about 120-130kbps (again as indicated by VLC codec info).So there would be a big difference in quality between the 2 PC game rips

I assumed the original files were OGGs. Someone who's computer-savvy enough to rip music files off of a video game probably knows that OGG is a relatively obscure format...if they were going to convert the original files to another format, they would have picked FLAC or WAV or (gulp) mp3 or something. We can be pretty confident that the OGGs are the original files, which means they're as good as we're going to get. (And the sound quality is fine, so that's okay with me.)

there is an audio folder with millions (exxagerating) of unreadable .ogg files.

i supose they must be de-encoded somehow.

foobar bitrate for the ogg is variable, from 10 to even 200 (in the files i checked)

The PC version of TFU2 seems to all be ogg (I can't play them, but apparently someone else was able to do something to make them play). I ripped TFU2 channels from the videos, but because these cannot be played in that format anywhere, I converted them to FLAC so that they would not be compressed again. For everything I will be uploading coming up, I kept it in the original game format if it was playable in a normal windows format -- but if it was in a special game format, I converted it first to wav, then into FLAC so that the files were not further compressed.

how is "I Am The Senate (Unused)" supposed to be edited?

how close is my guess to how it should be?: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=axZWcESAGBo

To be blunt...not close at all. Sorry! =/ There are a lot of puzzle pieces to put together, and we're still missing a few pieces, but it does all come together into one cue. It was just chopped up quite a bit in the film.

Can we see the synth mockup of I Am The Senate so we can see how it goes? I know that the drums that we initially thought were News of the Attack go there (proven because if you listen carefully in BF2's audio you can hear the chord afterwards underneath the News of the Attack Intro note, of which I have pretty much successfully isolated now). As for the missing bit with the statement of Across the Stars, doesn't that go where they ended up tracking the violins and harps from "Grievous Speaks to Sidious" and the Sidious Theme from "Palpatine's Seduction"? I also wonder if Lucas tracked a part of Palpatine's TV set over the ending Imperial March motif... boy that scene is a musical mess, and I thought TPM was bad...

Can someone post a mini breakdown of what (most up to date) files I should be using to edit Zam the Assassin and Chase Through Coruscant?

I get confused by that cue and can't tell the unreleased sections from the ones we have

I know that the drums that we initially thought were News of the Attack go there (proven because if you listen carefully in BF2's audio you can hear the chord afterwards underneath the News of the Attack Intro note, of which I have pretty much successfully isolated now).

This is correct. That's the beginning of the cue.

As for the missing bit with the statement of Across the Stars, doesn't that go where they ended up tracking the violins and harps from "Grievous Speaks to Sidious" and the Sidious Theme from "Palpatine's Seduction"?

Also correct...

I also wonder if Lucas tracked a part of Palpatine's TV set over the ending Imperial March motif...

...and correct again. :)

Yay, I got it all right :) Now, Jesse Harlin, if you're reading this, put the entirety of I Am the Senate in the next Star Wars game you work on, please ;)

I've re-edited some of my Episode III tracks to include the heavier percussion they were apparently scored with (IE the percussion in the first two minutes of Heroes Collide, Boys into Battle, Elevator Scene... was the percussion in Moving Things Along also correct? it seems to... empty without it)

Yay, I got it all right :) Now, Jesse Harlin, if you're reading this, put the entirety of I Am the Senate in the next Star Wars game you work on, please ;)

I've re-edited some of my Episode III tracks to include the heavier percussion they were apparently scored with (IE the percussion in the first two minutes of Heroes Collide, Boys into Battle, Elevator Scene... was the percussion in Moving Things Along also correct? it seems to... empty without it)

No one quite knows for sure about "Moving Things Along" as the sheet music for that cue is not present. I used the film version mix because like you ggtuck I prefer it with those overdubs. It seems a bit life-less with out it.

"The Elevator Scene" mix from BF 2 is definitely the right one from what I was told. The OST version is not the correct mix for that particular cue.

Well I added the 2 "quiet" sections at the beginning and end of Zam the Assassin and Chase Through Coruscant.

I can't tell where any of the loud action music goes if there are any unreleased section in the files

As for the missing bit with the statement of Across the Stars, doesn't that go where they ended up tracking the violins and harps from "Grievous Speaks to Sidious" and the Sidious Theme from "Palpatine's Seduction"?

I'm convinced to this day the Sidious theme at the end of the film version of Palpatine's Seduction isn't meant to go there . The ending section we have in the old Galaxies files is how the recording sessions play out IMO . The Sidious theme breaks the rhythm of what was in the cue .Or maybe it was an insert recorded afterwards

Well I added the 2 "quiet" sections at the beginning and end of Zam the Assassin and Chase Through Coruscant.

I can't tell where any of the loud action music goes if there are any unreleased section in the files

I'm convinced to this day the Sidious theme at the end of the film version of Palpatine's Seduction isn't meant to go there . The ending section we have in the old Galaxies files is how the recording sessions play out IMO . The Sidious theme breaks the rhythm of what was in the cue .Or maybe it was an insert recorded afterwards

Possibly, but why then would BF2, which uses the actual recording sessions, be edited in that way? Galaxies abridges a lot of cues as well, don't forget, just for the sake of making it fit the action of the places the music is used.

doesnt a similar emperor's theme appear in anakin's confession from AOTC?

Nope, that Sidious theme is tracked and pitch-shifted material from the Finale of AOTC.

Possibly, but why then would BF2, which uses the actual recording sessions, be edited in that way? Galaxies abridges a lot of cues as well, don't forget, just for the sake of making it fit the action of the places the music is used.

Just name me the BF2 file (or any game file) that has the Sidious theme inserted into the end of Palpatine's Seduction.The BF2 file I have cuts off just before that part . The Galaxies file has the real ending IMO .

Plus I think there is a TFU file that matches the ending of the Galaxies file...I have to find it though

Just name me the BF2 file (or any game file) that has the Sidious theme inserted into the end of Palpatine's Seduction.The BF2 file I have cuts off just before that part . The Galaxies file has the real ending IMO .

Plus I think there is a TFU file that matches the ending of the Galaxies file...I have to find it though

I can't name the BF2 file as I ripped BF2 myself and gave it different names. However TFU1 DOES reuse the BF2 mix. mxJT2_jwGreatHall02_lp_01 is the file I am describing - in the PC rip he faded the ends out but in the original PS2 rip it clearly loops.

The Sidious theme in "I Am The Senate" in the film does not belong there. The one in "Palptine's Seduction" belongs there. It's not an insert.

Edit: I meant the Sidious theme towards the end of "I Am The Senate" in the film is not supposed to be there. That was tracked from "Palpatine's Seduction", even a piece from "Grievous Travels To Palpatine" was tracked right before that piece.

The Sidious theme towards the end of "Palpatine's Seduction" in the games is correct.

The Sidious theme in "I Am The Senate" in the film does not belong there. The one in "Palptine's Seduction" belongs there. It's not an insert.

For a minute you confused me... but you're essentially agreeing with my statement above. Lucas even pitched it down so that it would sound different. Of course, it doesn't match Anakin's statement storywise ("Just help me save Padme's life..." etc).

For whatever reason Lucas decided to mess I Am the Senate up so badly. I haven't seen such atrocious editing in a cue since he hacked up DOTF.

Ya I was agreeing with you ggtuck.

I to wish he hadn't message with that sequence. Not only cut the scene and re-arrange it a tad but the music would have been much more effective if it had been in tact.

I can assure you with 100% confidence that the statement of the Emperor's theme near the end of "Palpatine's Seduction" is supposed to be there. Trent is correct. This isn't an insert or a piece of music tracked from another cue. I'm not supposed to tell you how I know this (no, I don't have the recording sessions), but I hope you'll believe me when I say that there's absolutely no room for doubt about this. The end of that cue plays out in the film as it was recorded.