GNP Crescendo announces Star Trek First Contact Complete.

Ollie

Just a heads up, Neil just posted it on Facebook.

http://store.gnpcres...products_id=227

Now available! Star Trek: First Contact Complete Motion Picture Score

cover.jpgApril 2nd 2012 —GNP Crescendo Records, longtime home of new and classic Star Trek soundtracks, releases a long-sought limited-edition collector’s CD of Star Trek: First Contact (1996) featuring the complete score by Jerry Goldsmith (with additional music by Joel Goldsmith), newly remastered by recording engineer Bruce Botnick. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) was the most popular feature film starring the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation. When the Borg travel through time into Earth’s past, Picard and his crew must prevent them from altering a pivotal moment in human history—mankind’s “first contact” with an alien race (the peaceful Vulcans).

First Contact marked the much-anticipated return of beloved composer Jerry Goldsmith to the franchise. Goldsmith’s march from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (reused as the main title theme for The Next Generation) is instantly identifiable, and Goldsmith’s extraordinary gift for melody, thrilling orchestration and musical storytelling has made him the signature composer for Gene Roddenberry’s vision.

For First Contact, schedule constraints led Goldsmith to recruit another composer to write additional music—his son Joel. The resulting score by both men combines exciting themes from Goldsmith’s previous efforts with vital new material, including a “first contact” theme (nobly sounded by French horn) and an ominous motive for the Borg.

GNP Crescendo released the original soundtrack album to Star Trek: First Contact in 1996, featuring 45 minutes of score highlights. Since then, fans have clamored for both Goldsmiths’ complete work—particularly the thrilling “Flight of the Phoenix.” This expanded release (nearly 80 minutes) presents exactly that—including three alternate tracks—in sterling sound quality, mastered by Jerry Goldsmith’s longtime recording engineer, Bruce Botnick.

The accompanying 16-page booklet includes informative notes by Jeff Bond and John Takis and is lavishly illustrated with film stills. Star Trek: First Contact—Complete Motion Picture Score (GNPD 8079) is available solely as a physical CD from GNP Crescendo Records.

Tracklisting:

Star Trek: First Contact Limited Edition Complete Motion Picture Score [Jerry Goldsmith]

[GNPD 8079]

Running time 79:13

1. Main Title*/Locutus

2. How Many Ships

3. Battle Watch

4. Red Alert

5. Temporal Wake

6. Shields Down

7. The Phoenix

8. They’re Here

9. 39.1 Degrees Celsius

10. Search for the Borg

11. Retreat

12. No Success

13. Borg Montage

14. Welcome Aboard

15. Stimulation

16. Smorgasborg

17. Getting Ready

18. Fully Functional

19. The Dish

20. Objection Noted

21. Not Again

22. Evacuate

23. New Orders/All the Time

24. Flight of the Phoenix

25. First Contact

26. End Credits

Bonus Tracks

27. The Phoenix † [alternate]

28. Borg Montage [alternate]

29. Main Title [alternate]

Is GNP Crescendo new to the expansion game? If I remember correctly they released the Wrath of Khan OST, but I'm not familiar with any expansions they've done.

And hi Mark!

Yea I don't think they've ever done an expansion before!

My guess is this would have been an FSM title had Lukas continued the label

Interesting

The complete score fits on 1 c.d.?

It should be 2-CDs, several alternates are missing. I rarely care about alternates just as long as the main score is 100% account for i don't care about a few missing alternates.

So with GNP doing First Contact they'll most likely do Insurrection.

I think most are surprised that GNP released this. I think most assumed GNP was done as a label. Either way this was definitely an instant purchase!

By the way with out any alternates the complete score would fit onto 1-CD. I also don't like how GNP did the cover for this release. To me personally it really does look like a boot. I wish the cover was more in line with the other Trek releases.

Great news! Will this be soon available on other retailers do you think?

SAE has some of the older GNP Trek releases so I'd think it would be on there eventually.

I'm sure it will be. I wish we knew how limited it was.

If I had to guess... "Limited to the number they can sell."

I'm sure it will be. I wish we knew how limited it was.

If I had to guess... "Limited to the number they can sell."

Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking too.

Well as soon as this is available on SAE/MovieMusic/other retailer I'll be ordering it. One of my favourite ST scores. :)

Well, it's very cool they fit the complete score on 1 c.d. I don't care about the alternates on this specific score (not the same case with STTMP)

Well, it's very cool they fit the complete score on 1 c.d. I don't care about the alternates on this specific score (not the same case with STTMP)

Yes in this case the alternates are not as crucial as having the actual complete score in my opinion. And there are 3 of the most significant ones on the release anyway.

I agree with Trent that the cover does not look very good. If this were printed I'd say they forgot black and only used Cyan, Yellow and Magenta.

Also the way the text has been positioned is a little weird, and the Limited Edition blurb just makes it look cheap. I wonder if the rest of the artwork will be similar in style to the other Trek releases of recent years.

Someone reasoned that this would probably have been released by FSM if Lukas had not decided to discontinue the label. I doubt it. Remember that GNP were unwilling to let FSM have the Ron Jones music they released for their TNG CD's. From that I guess they own the rights perpetually. Meaning no other label can release this unless GNP give up the rights.

GNP were probably unwilling to let another label handle this, but were willing to let Lukas and co work on it under the GNP label. This could mean that Insurrection and Generations, also previously released by GNP will get be re-released by them, and not Intrada, LLL or FSM.

The existing 2 CD bootleg has a bunch of alternate tracks, but in most cases the differences are minimal.

It's worthwhile to note that the Main Title as released on the original soundtrack from 1996 is actually an alternate version to what was used in the film. (it's identical to the middle part of the End Credits). Again, the difference is slight, at one point during the crescendo the brass is a bit more pronounced.

It will be interesting to see if track 1 on this new CD is the film version or the OST version. (I prefer the film version)

The Dish is also slightly different in the film. Goldsmith drops in a silent moment to accommodate a line by Worf, i seem to recall. It's possible that the OST used the same recording, but just edited it slightly for listen-ability

Obviously the 2 songs that were on the OST were not included, because licensing those would have cost a fortune..

This is great news and completely unexpected! Will be great to hear the unreleased music in its full quality. Hopefully the quality of the OST material will benefit noticeably from the new remaster as well.

Definitely looking possible that we'll have all of the pre-2009 Star Trek film scores in complete form within the next year or so. Only 4 to go after this :)

So this is the original label that put out the OST, reissuing it again complete? That's rather cool.

Not sure I need this though - I find the OST a great listen.

I think the cover's OK though - I disagree that it looks like a bootleg - the fonts match, the colour doesn't clash and everything is readable.

I think the cover's OK though - I disagree that it looks like a bootleg - the fonts match, the colour doesn't clash and everything is readable.

Yeah the cover looks good to me as well.

The colors looks wrong. Like black is missing from the picture. The yellow is far too strong!

I would have been worried if there had been music missing. Art direction, while if it is great it is a nice bonus, is not for me in anyway of paramount importance. The music however is. But it has to be said that if we don't find anything else to nag about a soundtrack release than the cover design, it has to be counted as a brilliant success. :)