The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I thought his action scenes, especially the choreography, was quite splendid. And Robert Redford portraying a corporate villain was kinda impressive. Never saw villains that underplayed in a Marvel movie before. I wonder if the next one will have the same effect on me.

Alex

The Russo Brothers - PRIOR to directing Winter Soldier - had directed "Welcome To Colinwood", "You Me And Dupree", and episodes of Arrested Development, Carpoolers, Community, Todd Margaret, Happy Endings, and Up All Night.

The Russo Brothers - AFTER directing Winter Soldier - locked in to direct Civil War (2016), Avengers 3 (2018), and Avengers 4 (2019) -- AND a Ghostbusters spinoff (2017?) too!

Amazing career resurgence! They're gonna be mega millionaires for life.

The Russo brothers have primarily been comedy directors (their previous movie was "You, Me, and Dupree" with Owen Wilson, and they rose to more fame since then as directors of single-camera sitcoms like Arrested Development and Community. But they really know their way around a fight sequence. I think Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie overall as far as fight scenes go.

I'm sure the direction on Civil War will be quite capable. My worry is the character overload, since it will apparently feature a greater number of significant characters than even Avengers 2 (if cast list and additional reports of castmember sightings are to be believed, basically all of the first-run Avengers except for Thor, plus all of the "new Avengers," plus Ant Man, plus Black Panther, plus villains, plus various side characters). Avengers 2 was already too busy for my taste.

That's what I get for taking so long to post. Beaten by Jason.

I'm sure the direction on Civil War will be quite capable. My worry is the character overload, since it will apparently feature a greater number of significant characters than even Avengers 2 (if cast list and additional reports of castmember sightings are to be believed, basically all of the first-run Avengers except for Thor, plus all of the "new Avengers," plus Ant Man, plus Black Panther, plus villains, plus various side characters). Avengers 2 was already too busy for my taste.

That's worrisome, indeed. And I haven't even seen Avengers 2!

I think Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie overall as far as fight scenes go.

Yes, Winter Soldier, especially when it concerns fighting scenes. My favorite new Marvels are Winter Soldier and Guardians Of The Galaxy. I still have to rewatch Winter Soldier though.

Impressive that our Steef makes mention of Bourne. The Winter Soldier did remind me of it. And not just the shaky cam, but the whole super agent affair.

Possibly, for most movies don't like to be rewatched.

Shush... Now he's gonna say he hates it!

But then how do you explain the immensely popular Guardians Of The Galaxy? I said it's my favorite new Marvel and I already rewatched it ...

Is there something wrong with your theory?

I'm afraid there are too many exceptions for Joey's theory to make sense. I even gave your beloved The Avengers a 7/10!

Nah, if I was really this guy that you and Joey The Mentalist seem to believe I am, I actually would despise Marvel movies. Heck, I would be a walking advertisement for small, unknown arthouse movies like Under The Skin.

Alex

It's an enjoyable romp, sure, but Cremers makes it feel like we consider it a classic.

But then again, I shouldn't be surprised. It's Cremers.

It's popular so you like it.

What an odd thing to say. BloodBoal hates a lot of popular movies.

Amazing! Really amazing!

Cremers' perception of anyone who is not Cremers is often off the mark.

I understand that Jay doesn't get it but you?

I get that Avengers is one of many overrated flicks of our time. I don't disagree with you there.

It's this where I believe you're wrong!

No, if it's popular, BloadBoal will love it.

Just like BloadBoal's theory about me is wrong too? Now you get it?

I never said The Avengers is the most overrated movie of our time. I merely mentioned it because it's hugely popular and I gave it a 7/10.

What's wrong with you people?!

You've become an icon! Perhaps not one that JWFan loves, but one that it needs.

Frankly, I'm just surprised you liked the film as much as you did! Entertaining but overrated as hell. I expected more from you Cremers.

;)

That's high praise on a Cremer-o-meter.

Karol

Actually, that means it's good but not much more.

Not sure if I've seen Alex giving a film more than 8/10. Can't recall.

Karol

Prisoners and Jagten are two recent examples.

Fantastic atmosphere with that one.

It's also morally quite intriguing and disturbing, especially if you're a parent. Villeneuve's best film to date.

Jagten is equally as good but it's in Danish. I have the impression most of you only watch American movies so it might not be a movie for you.

Fantastic atmosphere with that one.

It's also morally quite intriguing and disturbing, especially if you're a parent. Villeneuve's best film to date.

Jagten is equally is good but it's in Danish. I have the impression most of you only watch American movies so it might not be a movie for you.

Indeed. It was one of my favourite films that year.

Quick google search of Jagten intrigues me about the film. Sounds a bit like Doubt, another well-crafted piece. Though I imagine the execution differs greatly.

Chris Nolan gave it 21 thumbs up ;)

Karol

Hmm. But is it an American film? I only watch those, otherwise my four double cheeseburgers and diet cokes feel inappropriate. Plus I don't like all the funny sounds that come out of their mouths in foreign movies.

Chris Nolan gave it 21 thumbs up ;)

Karol

Hmm. But is it an American film? I only watch those, otherwise my four double cheeseburgers and diet cokes feel inappropriate. Plus I don't like all the funny sounds that come out of their mouths in foreign movies.

It stars Hugh Jackman, who is Australian, so it might not be for you.

Karol