Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

To the person on here (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was) who said Doug was travelling to New Zealand with Howard Shore - what was your source for that?

Just read Doug Adam's twitter feed

To the person on here (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was) who said Doug was travelling to New Zealand with Howard Shore - what was your source for that?

Just read Doug Adam's twitter feed

I'm doing that now, but I can't find any specific mention of Shore accompanying him?

*They worked on the source music for Thranduil's halls, plus they are appearing as the Ring SFX. (rumor has it, that Tauriel and Leggy have a musical love sound effect thingy that plays in certain scenes as well, performed by Roddick of course.)*

*J O K E

*They worked on the source music for Thranduil's halls, plus they are appearing as the Ring SFX. (rumor has it, that Tauriel and Leggy have a musical love sound effect thingy that plays in certain scenes as well, performed by Roddick of course.)*

*J O K E

6asc.png

That is an old image of PJ and Shore taken during the TTT recording sessions. It has been floating in the internet for years. Funny image though.

That is an old image of PJ and Shore taken during the TTT recording sessions. It has been floating in the internet for years. Funny image though.

I was referring to the recent one of course! :D

Whew! I was worried you were seriously out of the internet loop!

My best guess is that DoS is in the same state now that AUJ was at this point last year, meaning as it was on the OST, before the madness began. This could mean that we will get Shore's original plans again for DoS, now that these sessions are over.

If there are NO additional sessions planned, I officially give up my hope for a better score presentation in DoS.

I love that I can read the instructions for the aleatoric passages on the score page that's in the picture of Pope conducting.

Pty though, I thought Shore would have liked to conduct his work, especially to make sure the aleatoric stuff turned out the way he wanted.

Conrad Pope also said this in response to someone asking if it was Howard Shore in the background of the picture with Pope and Dante (the trumpeter) together:

That would be Victor Pesavento, I believe, making sure all scores and music from this session are accounted for,- or so I would imagine. Howard has far, far more hair than anyone within viewfinder range of this snapshot- except Jon, who is blessed not just with abundant musical talent, but hair as well !

Again, doesn't say much at all, but maybe Shore was present at the sessions.

I tried to ask indirectly if Shore was present at the recording sessions, but it seems that Pope can not go into the details.

Well, Antonio, I can't make any specific comments about this project- I'm forbidden to even mention its name! I can only comment about and celebrate the work my colleagues in the NZSO and I did together. It's the "making music together" and the "blast" we had doing it, as well as ( and perhaps most importantly) the bond we all forged as musicians, we're toasting here. Hope you understand. Best-CP-

What? How come they kept insisting on keeping secret HS's location? Shouldn't, y'know, the composer be

present on the recording of his own composition? Even if not physically, just spiritually?

I asked:

I am very excited about this score and I would be extremely happy to see a picture of the Maestro during the recording sessions: you could publish some of them if possible? Thank you very much.

So his answer is not really "Howard was not here," but it could go very close.

More than anything else it is curious how two months in advance registrations are already completed when the method of Jackson's work is to work until the last second.
This is just my guess, but it is probable that Pope has conducted a score written by Shore based on an not yet finalized cut of the movie and that in fact are provided additional recording sessions close to the release of the film where Shore will make the final changes and check that everything is perfect before the release in theaters.

Pope describes the score:

Well the music we just recorded might be described as having the qualities of "Epic, Energetic,Ethereal and Evil"- and, of course, fun.

SUH, the instructions say:

Aleatoric sections may be performed using any selection or combination of the following performance techniques:

1) Sustain any indicated note(s) for any value

2) Quickest possible repetition of any indicated note(s)

3) Quickest possible repetition of the indicated group of notes.

4) Harmonics are acceptable.

About soloists and singers....

Apologies. I can't comment, mention or name any of the personnel to whom you allude. My hands are tied, my lips are sealed. Thanks for your understanding. Best-CP-