What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

John Carter - Giacchino

It has some really wonderful tracks, and thematically it's very consistent.

But I honestly have to almost force myself to pick the CD out of my collection and hit play.

Don't know why because this is essentially a truly memorable score that I can enjoy on a good day.

I listened to that today too. And I realized that I have yet to hear a score from Giacchino that sounds effortless. The main theme here starts promisingly, then falls into his usual two-chord scheme. It's like he couldn't figure out how to complete the phrase so you have two completely disparate things pasted together. I don't know. I like his music but you can feel him trying too much. It's not really flowing out of him. Feels very constructed.

There are momentary exceptions, mostly in LOST. But nothing consistent.

"ST:TMP".

I really am at a loss to explain how epic, awesome, and just how damn moving, this score is, so I'll just post this:

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" is a very srtong candidate for the position of the greatest score ever composed. Discuss!

"ST:TMP".

I really am at a loss to explain how epic, awesome, and just how damn moving, this score is, so I'll just post this:

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" is a very srtong candidate for the position of the greatest score ever composed. Discuss!

I agree. Discuss!

No, I agree with Mr Big. It's a wonderful, impressionist score, one of many that Goldsmith was churning out in the late 70s and early 80, but it does feel very detached. Dramatically the film is extremely pallid, and I don't doubt that Goldsmith had trouble getting into it-- the post-production fx problems only being half of it. Despite the huge orchestral and electronic forces and the many classic setpieces. There's plenty of craft, but no heart.

Iris by James Horner: Basically an extensive exploration of the danger motif in a lyrical form but fits this lovely sunny autumn day like a glove. There is soothing violin work by Joshua Bell and a graceful airy mood to most of this work scored mainly for piano, woodwinds violin, horns and strings. There is a subliminal Vaughan Williams's Lark Ascending mood to the whole piece but Horner does not outright quote the famous piece.

There are some things in life you just can't explain...

Yes, but this requires an explanation. What of the other Goldsmiths? Or the Eidelman score? There's no good reason for never having heard any of those.

I still don't think I ever listened to The Search For Spock. Whenever I get in the mood I go straight for Wrath Of Khan.

The ouverture and end titles of Spock are very much worth it in addition to TWOK.

I still don't think I ever listened to The Search For Spock. Whenever I get in the mood I go straight for Wrath Of Khan.

And you should follow that up with Search for Spock. Because the one can't live without the other IMO. I will even say that while I enjoy Khan tremendously, it's Spock where Horner really shines. It has and always has been my friend... I mean my favourite of the two... :D

Stealing the Enterprise is the best track Horner ever composed.

NP: Once Upon a Forest - Horner

The magical qualities of Horner's 80s stylings (Willow) are very much present, but it's the song that bookends the album that sends me to film music heaven.

gave The Black Hole a proper listen over. I don't have the expanded but what I have is enough for the time being. Into the Hole has always been a favourite chiefly for how the music shaped my feelings of the scene as a kid -the hellish visage involving Max Schell. In some ways the music doesn't seem right for such a film but I guess space movies/sci-fi isn't something you associate with John Barry (well, Star Crash I'm sure and others that I likely don't know). To my untrained ears there's a similar sound here to Moonraker/Raise the Titanic in the dramatic/dark moments (for example The Door Opens puts me in mind of RTT's Titanic "Rescue Attempt/Blowing the Tanks") but this doesn't take away from a great score. The heroic music is one of my favourite Barry pieces (i.e The Black Hole theme but it's use in "Laser").

and all this after hearing Meco's Black Hole theme.

Small Soldiers - Goldsmith

An expanded album I made myself, from the recording sessions, 56 minutes long. Tremendous fun, creativity was still his greatest strength, even at this late stage in his career / life.

I would buy an official expansion in an instant, but this will do very well until that happens.