Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jay

From the FSM thread

More speculation! Elfman alluded to recording a week ago and this is a Facebook post from Elfman's to-go-to music editor a week ago.

Shie Rozow

7 March at 00:50 ·

Just finished one of the most intense & quick projects of my entire career. I was music editing - about an hour of music composed, recorded, mixed, conformed to new pix and delivered in 24 grueling days! I think I've earned a nap

An hour of Elfman cues... Wow. Must have replaced half of Tyler's score or more.

Yes!

From the FSM thread

More speculation! Elfman alluded to recording a week ago and this is a Facebook post from Elfman's to-go-to music editor a week ago.

Shie Rozow

7 March at 00:50 ·

Just finished one of the most intense & quick projects of my entire career. I was music editing - about an hour of music composed, recorded, mixed, conformed to new pix and delivered in 24 grueling days! I think I've earned a nap

An hour of Elfman cues... Wow. Must have replaced half of Tyler's score or more.

It's really weird. If they were unhappy with Tyler's score you would expect then to reject all of it and hire Elfman to completely redo it. Sure it's short notice, but that's far from unheard of. Elfman himself did so on at least 2 occasions. Mission Impossible and Hulk.

It could be a Spider-man 2 situation where there were severe disagreements between the director an composer about the direction of certain cues, but with an hour of material rescored that seems a bit far fetched. Also such issues are usually dealt with by hiring ghostwriters who get a äddition music" notice ion the end credits or nothing. They are actually advertising Elfman's name alongside Tyler's.

The closest analogy I can think of is Last Of The Mohicans.

They are actually advertising Elfman's name alongside Tyler's.

That's probably something that has to do with contractual agreements. Tyler is a client of GSA, while Elfman is represented by Kraft-Engel. I guess someone succeeded to get Tyler the credit as the main composer nevertheless.

However, we'll likely never know what exactly happened. I also doubt there will be a score CD containing music from both composers.

Brian didn’t have the experience to score big action movies. He was not familiar with this big action movie thing Joss wanted. The studio insisted on a preview. They played it for an audience in Sacramento, and the usual focus group. The music is the worst they (test audience) had ever heard. They all said it’s horrible music, who did this music. I looked at the film and it was, I don’t even know how to describe it, how atrocious the music was. It was like a 1950’s superhero movie. It was not because Brian isn’t a gifted writer, it’s because he doesn’t have any knowledge of writing film scores, real film scores like that, and it was like, it was so corny, it was unbelievable, it it and apparently made the audience laugh in places during serious scenes. They both (J.Whedon and B. Tyler) came up with a score that was absolutely dreadful, absolutely dreadful.

Brian didn’t have the experience to score big action movies. He was not familiar with this big action movie thing Joss wanted. The studio insisted on a preview. They played it for an audience in Sacramento, and the usual focus group. The music is the worst they (test audience) had ever heard. They all said it’s horrible music, who did this music. I looked at the film and it was, I don’t even know how to describe it, how atrocious the music was. It was like a 1950’s superhero movie. It was not because Brian isn’t a gifted writer, it’s because he doesn’t have any knowledge of writing film scores, real film scores like that, and it was like, it was so corny, it was unbelievable, it it and apparently made the audience laugh in places during serious scenes. They both (J.Whedon and B. Tyler) came up with a score that was absolutely dreadful, absolutely dreadful.

This wasn't exactly James Yared's Conan the Barbarian.

This wasn't exactly James Yared's Conan the Barbarian.

Sometimes I think Elfman is full of himself...

It's very possible Tyler's score just didn't fit with this film. I like a lot of Tyler's scores... his score for TMNT, Timeline, Iron Man 3 and others are good.

Horner said something similar about Yared's Troy score. He can sometimes be very rude.

We need an emoticon for things going over people's heads.

What?

BTW, I looked up Thor 3, and Marvel hasn't selected a director yet. I'd guess the director will play a big role in selecting the composer.

Are there specific rules here about posting? I just joined...

No, no, no. It was just funny that you mentioned the Horner / Yared / Troy thing as it that wasn't exactly what BB was going for, and what he linked to just before you posted. That's all.

Long story short: Several people didn't get BB's joke. Oh well.

Movin' on!