The Book Thief (2013) - New Williams film score!

scissorhands

The movie looks and sounds pretty sentimental to me. The stills remind me of War Horse.

It did to me at first as well, but it can work out quite differently depending on the script and the director. What similar projects do we know from this director?

I checked Rotten Tomatoes. He's done one movie and it's sitting at 50% but he also directed Downtown Abbey apparently. This is the writer's very first project I believe.

To me it seems pretty rare that JW works with such a low-profile director. JW really must love that book. Anyhow it sounds promising, as this Downtown Abbey should be a good series. Time to finally go and check it out.

Let him write a fanfare for out anniversary!

Karol

Well, he did write a theme for a Japanse fan site once. Who's gonna ask?

It's a good book but it's been along time since I read it. It's told from Death's point of view. I wonder if that makes the film but imagine John writing a theme for Death?

Excellent news, and a nice surprise, too.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this film and hearing the Maestro's new film score.

Jason, I think a lot of us consider Memoirs an extension of Spielberg.

15 years! Wow. I remember coming to the site back in 1999.

I too used to learn about Williams scores from posters. Always fun going around Theatres looking at posters in hopes of learning about a new score. Sabrina and Nixon were the last times I was surprised. After that, websites got the scoops.

Wrong, nightscape94, wrong indeed. That was humorous, though.

Anyway, I am surprised that this has suddenly come out. Definitely something to look forward to this year.

I think he was asking why Williams wasn't added on the IMDB page yet. I can add him now, but it takes 2-14 days for them to review added names, so other people have probably already done it.

Every film he's done since 1982 has has an OST so I don't see why this one wouldn't.

It'll probably be on Sony Classical, I'd guess.

A Fox movie on top of it! :)

Hey with the new logo maybe it deserves a fanfare recording refresh under John Williams' baton (David Newman's 1997 version is probably the longest-lasting)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3096794/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

I thought IMDB added The Book Thief on his composer credits but he's listed on the Lego Star Wars movie. I hate it when people list "Music by John Williams" on projects where they use previously written music.

Fuck yes!!!! This is great news!

Since it's narrated from Death's perspective, that probably means the director isn't looking towards realism...which is great news for the score!

I wonder if we can expect an appearance from the Dies Irae

!!!

Just 3 months away too! I love this feeling. With Spielberg, we essentially learn about a new JW score the day the film is announced, which is a really nice guarantee to have but it means the countdown always starts a year or two ahead of time. It's great to have something announced so close to release, for a change.

Fuck yes!!!! This is great news!

Since it's narrated from Death's perspective, that probably means the director isn't looking towards realism...which is great news for the score!

I wonder if we can expect an appearance from the Dies Irae

:lol: You really have that motif on the brain indy4!

This does remind me a lot of the Angela's Ashes reveal. Fourteen years later, it's fantastic that news like this can still largely elude for so long the ever more watchful eye of the Internet.

I think we knew about Angela's Ashes way more in advance

When I looked at the first post in this thread I thought Williams had just written some themes for a short film and that guy was going to record them with his synth keyboard

I think you're right; I was thinking more in the sense that the news seemed to come relatively late out of nowhere -- from ground zero instead of PR.

I think you're right; I was thinking more in the sense that the news seemed to come relatively late out of nowhere -- from ground zero instead of PR.

This was truly a wonderful surprise. And it is really nice that we can still be surprised in this day and age. :)

If anyone can elude us in this technology and media saturated world it is John Williams. I am still amazed that he didn't announce this over the telegram or use carrier pidgeons to spread the news.

book-thief-first-pics-06_zps1a14d6c2.jpg

I can already hear the frolic tuba theme that Williams is going to write for this.

Alex

Nuh-uh! That character is not fat! Tuba is reserved for fat, ungainly people! It is going to be a whimsical woodwind moment I tell you!

The story sounds like it's going to be a "War Horse" style score with touching moments rather than Munich like

Looks promising