New Jurassic Park LP Releases (June 11th)

scallenger

LPs and man...two things separated by several decades of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

And we don't know yet if it's the original 1993 presentation or the 2013 20th Anniversary presentation, or a new presentation?

It would need to be a 2LP set if it was to cover all the tracks from either version, so if it's only 1 LP it could be a new shorter 40 minute presentation?

the sticker seems to say:

20th anniversary edition

and it seems to list 4 track names, which coincides with the bonus tracks...

and the number of words coincide. The history lesson (3), Stalling around (2), the coming storm (3), hungry raptor (2)

It was cool that the blu ray had a nice mix that allowed us to hear a lot of unreleased music in pretty good quality, but there is still so much that was dropped from the film so can only be heard via mockups, not to mention all the music in the film that is still buried in sound effects.

A proper 2CD set of the complete score would be a revelation to many and a godsend to us huge fans of the score! It really is a terrifically done score from top to bottom.

It would need to be a 2LP set if it was to cover all the tracks from either version, so if it's only 1 LP it could be a new shorter 40 minute presentation?

Not true. The Jurassic Park OST was issued on vinyl back in 1993. A single LP release.

Well typically LPs hold 20 minutes per side, and the JP OST runs for over 70 minutes, so that's what I was going by.

The addition of these 4 bonus tracks brings the running time up to over 80 minutes, there's no way that's fitting on one LP unaltered.

Yeah I still HOPE there will be a CD edition of the Anniversary release. :( Although that would have to be a 2 CD release as well, wouldn't it? So hell, they may as well put the whole score on it! LOL. ;)

Actually it WOULD be a 1 CD release if they took off the redundant "End Credits" track. But then that would go against the Williams album sequence. :( Ugh.

So now this has a digital and vinyl release, and still no CD release!

Weird indeed. Though at least it was made available in loss less high resolution audio too. It would have sucked if all we ever got was the iTunes release.

I don't disagree with you, and i fully support JW and all composers to have the right to edit and arrange the OST album that comes out at the time of the film in any manner they like, selecting their own highlights if they wish.

But I also STRONGLY feel that 10+ years after a film's release, an expanded album should be available with ALL the music, in a chronological order, with no cues overlapping unless they were meant to. The existence of this new release should never push the original configuration out of print (it's a damn shame the grammy winning ET album has been OOP for years!)

John Williams album sequences rock! There. I just had to say it.

I have no problem at all with JW's suite form on this album - think it works very well for this score. In fact, add the missing cue and you'd have a pretty much perfect album presentation.

It's just the ordering of those suites that's bizarre.

I think Williams' album suites (tracks that contain pieces of music from different parts of the film edited together into a musical way) generally sound very good and are a nice way of getting the crux of his score across in the running time the album in question allows.

But I will never understand why he chose for this score to put the finale and end credits of the film in the middle of the album, and then repeat the end credits again at the end. That one's a head scratcher to this day.

Sure, but "T Rex Rescue and Finale" already ends the second half in a conclusive way if that's what he was after (that's also the Spacecamp model).

But I will never understand why he chose for this score to put the finale and end credits of the film in the middle of the album, and then repeat the end credits again at the end. That one's a head scratcher to this day.

That.

At least, the Theme has it's value as a standalone cue. even if 95 percent of it is repeated.

the end credits is just, heck, just put 'welcome (WF?) to jurassic park' as the last track, man!

Williams' albums were usually great up until the 1990s. Now, it seems he makes terrible choices when selecting, arranging and editing the music. Ironically, I think part of the problem may be that his albums got longer with the additional 20 or so minutes afforded by a CD. With the exception of the Star Wars and Superman double albums, I think the majority of his score albums ran 30-40 minutes in their original release. Most of them were perfect listening experiences, even if the complete scores were also perfect listening experiences (and the albums actually left off a great deal of the score, if not all of the original recordings). Jaws, Raiders, E.T., whether you realize it or not, were perfect albums.

Most of his post-1990 albums run too long and there ends up being too much filler and repeated music. The omitted cues become more annoying to many of us, I think, because of this. We get all this fucking boring music (*cough* Indiana Jones IV *cough*) and music we've already heard now in a "Theme From..." or "End Credits" track, but you leave off that 2 minutes of cloud nine complete Williams nirvana from that one scene? Jesus H. Christ.

Personally, I love his post-90's albums too, and don't see much of a difference, really. He's probably my favourite album producer as he manages to transform the scores into glorious concept albums time and again, which is the whole reason (or one of the most important ones) for me being interested in soundtracks in the first place. The repetition of thematic material at crucial places works well as it would in a symphony. The closer he can get it to work as a 'kind of' independent symphony, the better.

But I can sympathize with whoever said that they would need an alternative in expanded releases. In an ideal world, we would have both options available to us -- Williams' reconceptualiztion for people like me and the C&C for those who crave that.

Williams' albums were usually great up until the 1990s. Now, it seems he makes terrible choices when selecting, arranging and editing the music. Ironically, I think part of the problem may be that his albums got longer with the additional 20 or so minutes afforded by a CD. With the exception of the Star Wars and Superman double albums, I think the majority of his score albums ran 30-40 minutes in their original release. Most of them were perfect listening experiences, even if the complete scores were also perfect listening experiences (and the albums actually left off a great deal of the score, if not all of the original recordings). Jaws, Raiders, E.T., whether you realize it or not, were perfect albums.

come on ,ToD and Return of the Jedi are his worst OST's

Was the frustration for you guys really stronger than the pleasure of listening to the music? Because I can relate to that -- only from the other side of the spectrum -- i.e. when the presentation of a score causes so much annoyance that it comes at the cost of listening pleasure.

Oh great. The anniversary version is STILL not available in Germany after a year, and now that there will likely be an album I could order... it has to be a vinyl record? :folder:

I haven't owned a working record player in a decase.

Oh great. The anniversary version is STILL not available in Germany after a year, and now that there will likely be an album I could order... it has to be a vinyl record? :folder:

I haven't owned a working record player in a decase.

Can't you order from the US?