The Empire Strikes Back

Balahkay

There is no track in SW or TESB I'd consider skipping.

Not even the second Cantina Band track?

That piece does a perfect job of underscoring Solo's seedy negotiations for more money from old Ben Kenobi while maintaining continuity with the first Band track. I've always loved it to pieces.

I love the Superman March but don't need to hear variations of it for 30 minutes.

Thankfully there are other themes in those 30 minutes.

Same with TESB, which is a hell of a lot more than just Imperial March variations. Hell, if you want to pick on a movie for overdoing that march, look no further than ROTJ's The Emperor Arrives (as presented on the Anthology).

I tend to find myself bored with the score for Williams' Superman as well.

And yet you like Ottman's bland SR score.

Not all of Superman Returns is necessarily essential either, but it is FAR from a bland score!

Gotta agree with Jason about Superman. End Credits, alternates and concert suites aside, there's hardly anything on discs 2 or 8 of the Blue Box that I consider truly essential or mind-blowing. It's just not as interesting as the first half of the score. And I'm sorry, but there are dead spots in every presentation of E.T. aside from the original LP. TESB on the other hand, is truly brilliant from start to finish no matter which release you're listening to.

Dead spots, what the fuck did I just read? So you're saying everything from The Truck Convoy to the end titles of Superman (including March of the Villains and the love theme) is not essential or mind-blowing?

I said E.T. has dead spots. I also said the last half of Superman generally fails to hold my interest, which it does. Of course there are some highlights to be found there. I just think the second half fails to live up to the first.

I agree the second half of Superman score is not as great as other Williams scores (Indy, SW) .I find the action stuff like Chasing Rockets more forgettable than something like Desert Chase .In TESB almost every cue is a miniature masterpiece

There's a lot of beauty in the first half of the E.T. score, so no dead spots for me

Yea, that's all I'm saying. But from the opening credits through the flying sequence is undeniably freaking awesome

Personally, I love Jaws, E.T., and Superman-from start to finish. Sure there are moments I enjoy more than others, but those scores when listened to as a whole are astounding.

If I were to make a playlist of just the "duller" bits, it wouldn't be enjoyable. But as part of the complete experience they're great and I wouldnt want them any other way.

But that's just me.

Personally, I love Jaws, E.T., and Superman-from start to finish. Sure there are moments I enjoy more than others, but those scores when listened to as a whole are astounding.

If I were to make a playlist of just the "duller" bits, it wouldn't be enjoyable. But as part of the complete experience they're great and I wouldnt want them any other way.

But that's just me.

...and me too! Part of the greatness of those classics (and what is seriously missing today) is a sense of structure. Structure is very difficult and complex. Some of histories greatest composers struggled in this area. How the material grows...it evolves so by just hearing the exciting parts, then something is missed. But that's just me.

But that's just me.

...and me too! Part of the greatness of those classics (and what is seriously missing today) is a sense of structure. Structure is very difficult and complex. Some of histories greatest composers struggled in this area. How the material grows...it evolves so by just hearing the exciting parts, then something is missed. But that's just me.

Of course for a film score to have a good structure, it means that the film also has to have a good structure.

Yes, I agree. But RotK is the best score, and happens to be my favourite film of the three, if only for nostalgic reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

But that's just me.

And me as well. Somehow they just never get old for me. Neither does ESB, of course, which belongs solidly in the top 5. It's technical brilliance has always wowed me more than most of his other scores (even when I'm not really in the mood to hear Vader's Theme one more time. . . .)

Agreed, which is why I like FOTR more than ROTK

Dude . . . I'm gettin' tired. For a second there, I thought, "He likes Fiddler on the Roof better than Return of the King. . . ?" :rolleyes:

The scope and epicness of TESB outclasses all those other ones mentioned .It's like there's not a wasted note in the entire score

QFT!

No truth I'm afraid. I used to agree, but now I prefer Star Wars and probably most of the others. TESB is a score great, but I think because I've fallen out of love with the franchise outside of the original film the music for the bigger saga no longer stirs me in the way it once did.

• 1 month later...