John Williams to attend Academy's "Behind the Score: The Art of the Film Composer"

Muad'Dib

Interesting that Williams picked Horner's Braveheart, along with the usual suspects like Goldsmith and Herrmann, to demonstrate film music he admired (in some way). Really surprising.

The comment on Williams' late wife was really touching.

Karol

This sequence in BRAVEHEART is excellent proof of Horner's dramatic abilities, so i agree. Lots of people were very taken with the music (the populist Irish Moss pipes and tin whistles aside) back in 1995.

Literally just discovered this after stumbling on the link on the Main Page of all places. One of the best interviews with JW I've seen, this should be linked front and centre - it should be in General Discussion. Pfft. I guarantee many old lurkers/posters will have missed it entirely!

Mesmerising conversations with the Maestro, I laughed out loud and even got a bit emotional, there were slight tears involved in both cases. Thanks actually, it was a release.

The hate of Gustavo (which I was never a part of) surely has to stop after this. It must. He's a huge fan of JW for crying out loud! And Mr Williams seems to genuinely appreciate and respect his young peer's views and talent. So can you!

PS: me, 3 years ago: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20206&p=721251

This sequence in BRAVEHEART is excellent proof of Horner's dramatic abilities, so i agree. Lots of people were very taken with the music (the populist Irish Moss pipes and tin whistles aside) back in 1995.

I'm not questioning his, or Braveheart's influence, for that matter. But it's one of the few instances when Williams actually picks someone out of the holy group. Doesn't happy very often.

Oh and one more thing. Williams looks great in those vids. There are some other interviews where he looks less alert and older than here.

Karol

Literally just discovered this after stumbling on the link on the Main Page of all places. One of the best interviews with JW I've seen, this should be linked front and centre - it should be in General Discussion. Pfft. I guarantee many old lurkers/posters will have missed it entirely!

That's why every JWFan should check the Main Page at least once a week.

That's why every JWFan should check the Main Page at least once a week.

Really, Ricard, Main Pages are so Web 1.0. Maybe if you make a JWFAN app we'll start paying attention.

Really, Ricard, Main Pages are so Web 1.0. Maybe if you make a JWFAN app we'll start paying attention.

I don't really care whether people pay attention to the Main Page. It was just an advice :)

I don't really care whether people pay attention to the Main Page. It was just an advice :)

Oh, don't play nonchalant with me, Ricard; I know this has been a cause for you since the site's inception. ;)

I'm not questioning his, or Braveheart's influence, for that matter. But it's one of the few instances when Williams actually picks someone out of the holy group. Doesn't happy very often.

In older interviews (i.e. around JURASSIC PARK), Williams did refer to Horner and JNH as THE new kids on the block though their connection to the same agency might have had an influence on that.

It is one thing i actually am interested in: if these composers watch current movies and how they react to them because how can anyone comment or vote on something he or she really doesn't know seems a bit puzzling. Williams says he hardly watches any movies, Horner's the same - in Horner's case he still seems to know them very well but we all know James' chronic habit of saying one thing and doing the exact opposite. Desplat watches a lot of movies as far as i know. Morricone also knows current pictures, as he said recently. The interviews from Goldsmith's final years were more open in this regard, he actually congratulated Desplat on GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING and even backhandedly Horner for HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG and, in a funny aside, berated a reporter for being so over-focused on movies: 'Gee, they're just pictures, they come and go.' (perhaps explaining why he did so many bad ones).

Oh and one more thing. Williams looks great in those vids. There are some other interviews where he looks less alert and older than here.

Karol

That is what stood out most to me, he is amazing for 82. My grandad is the same age and great for his age, but sometimes he can take a minute to find the words he's looking for if you know what I mean. Johnny Williams though is beautifully articulate and quick with it, quicker than myself at more than half his age. It's fantastic to see, frankly.

And conducting is clearly very, very good for the bones ;)

Haha, what did Jerry say about Horner?

Talking about composers that he admires who are working in the medium today, he cited the continuing excellence of the work of Jerry Goldsmith and confirmed that he thought highly of the work of composers such as James Horner and James Newton Howard. "There's a young member of the Newman family - Thomas Newman - who I think is one of the most gifted of the young people who are coming along. His score for The Shawshank Redemption stands in my mind as one of the most impressive from the younger generation."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/film/lacejw.htm

Haha, what did Jerry say about Horner?

Talking about composers that he admires who are working in the medium today, he cited the continuing excellence of the work of Jerry Goldsmith and confirmed that he thought highly of the work of composers such as James Horner and James Newton Howard. "There's a young member of the Newman family - Thomas Newman - who I think is one of the most gifted of the young people who are coming along. His score for The Shawshank Redemption stands in my mind as one of the most impressive from the younger generation."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/film/lacejw.htm

Wow Johnny was obviously watching more movies back then. Or at least listening to more soundtracks.