World Premiere - "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Band" (arr. Paul Lavender) (Aug. 13 & 14, 2014)

thx99

http://www.marineband.marines.mil/News/NewsArticleDisplay/tabid/17400/Article/168993/what-is-old-is-new-again.aspx

"The Marine Band’s Summer Fare performances on Aug. 13 and 14, conducted by Director Lt. Col. Jason K. Fettig, will feature selections to delight and entertain a range of ages. From classic transcriptions from the golden age of bands to more present-day arrangements and lush romantic melodies to the world première of Paul Lavender’s transcription Scherzo for Motorcycle and Band from Indiana Jones by John Williams, this concert has it all. Also featured will be two virtuoso soloists: oboe player Staff Sgt. Tessa Vinson will perform Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s Variations on a Romance by Glinka and baritone vocalist Master Sergeant Kevin Bennear will sing “They Call the Wind Maria” from Paint Your Wagon."

This adaptation also includes new music written by Williams specifically for the concert band version. I'm not sure how much extra, but that alone should make it fun to hear. (Whenever that might be!)

But never fear, it's a certainty that the score will be available for purchase from Hal Leonard soon, if not already.

I don't supose this concerts are broadcast...

Doubtful, but they post performances on their web site rather frequently. Just not sure if this will be one of those posted...

But never fear, it's a certainty that the score will be available for purchase from Hal Leonard soon, if not already.

Great. But completely useless for a person who can't read music.

You have a band, Jeremy. Perform it!

• 1 month later...

Well, it is scored for a small wind band. It is going to sound watered down relative to the orchestral version. I like how it uses the new Williams' concert version as the template. It is cool for what it is.

This is the same version he performed with the pops last month

So JW did did write the extra bits?

Any video of the Bostonpops version?

I think marching band arrangements always rub me the wrong way

If you want to hear Williams' music written specifically for such an ensemble (albeit a non-military one), check out his "Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble". Only available in a shoddy-sounding bootleg format, but still. Gives you an idea.

If you want to hear Williams' music written specifically for such an ensemble (albeit a non-military one), check out his "Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble". Only available in a shoddy-sounding bootleg format, but still. Gives you an idea.

Actually it was officially released on Deutsche Grammophone LP back in 1972 and then re-released on CD in Japan only by Tower Records around 2007 or '08..

http://www.johnwilliams.org/compositions/sinfonietta.html

Actually it was officially released on Deutsche Grammophone LP back in 1972 and then re-released on CD in Japan only by Tower Records around 2007 or '08..

http://www.johnwilliams.org/compositions/sinfonietta.html

I was aware of the original LP (although I assumed it was a promo-type LP, not DG), but not that it was reissued on CD. Thanks! I wonder if they cleaned up the sound for that.

This adaptation also includes new music written by Williams specifically for the concert band version.

:thumbup:

Maybe they didn't rehearse enough then

No KM, the Marine Band could sight-read this better than most professional orchestras could perform it. They really are THAT good. The problem with this whole performance and recording is the fact that it is recorded at an outdoor concert. There are very few outdoor venues that offer proper acoustics, and even then they typically only sound great if you're there in person. Some outdoor places like the Hollywood Bowl go out of their way to mic every single instrument (or section) on the stage, and even then it's still not as good as indoors. It never will be: you won't get overtones from the brass, many of the string and woodwind sounds just die away without resonating, etc. There's a million reasons this didn't sound great, but it's not because of rehearsal time or group ability. Frankly, it won't be on my top play list either, but I'd love to hear it one day from an indoor recording.

This is the same version he performed with the pops last month

Any video of the Bostonpops version?

I think marching band arrangements always rub me the wrong way

The extensions are the same found in the revised concert version. Williams performed it already a number of times in concert and It was played in Tanglewood's Film Night last August as well:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=6994