Your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's? CONCLUDED

Your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's?

• The Patriot
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Harry Potter And The Philosophers/Sorcerer's Stone
    • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    • The Terminal
    • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith
    • War Of The Worlds
    • Memoirs Of A Geisha
    • Munich
    • Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
    • Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (John Williams/Williams Ross)

Probably his best decade, in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. I had greater difficulty picking a score in this poll than the previous decade ones.

Ah, the joys of the rhyming dictionary:

I close my eyes
And there in the shadows I see your light
You come to me out of my dreams across
The night

You take my hand
Though you may be so many stars away
I know that our spirits and souls are one
We've circled the moon and we've touched the sun
So here we'll stay

For Always
Forever
Beyond here and on to eternity
For Always
Forever
For us there's no time and no space
No barrier love won't erase
Wherever you go
I still know in my heart you will be
With me

From this day on
I'm certain that I'll never be alone
I know what my heart must have always known
That love has a power that's all its own

And for always
Forever
Now we can fly

And for always
and always
We will go on beyond goodbye

For Always
Forever
Beyond here and on to eternity
For Always
And ever
You'll be a part of me

And For Always
Forever
A thousand tomorrows may cross the sky
And for always
And always
We will go on beyond goodbye

Watched Horner's appearance at "Hollywood in Vienna" the other night. Most laughable was the obligatory song presentation, you know, to "widen appeal." Nearly lost it when the singer walked down off the stage of the Wiener Konzerthaus to mingle with the audience.

Really hope the score "song", at least of the artless shit variety, is a dead or dying trend.

Is there any Horner, Williams or Goldsmith song with lyrics that are not borderline diabetes-inducing?

I reckon the only pop ballad of this sort I can stomach is Goldenthal's song from Final Fantasy. Sung by the same lady and from the same year, incidentally. It's not that there is anything different about its concept, but for whatever reason it doesn't make me want to vomit.

Karol

Memoirs of a Geisha, followed closely by AI.

The latter is a truly great score, but I always had some mixed feelings about its somewhat fractured nature, though this is largely due to the album presentation. Since I've had the complete score, my appreciation has only grown for it. Has some of the maestro's best writing. But the former wins, partly for nostalgic reasons (hehe, can that word be applied to the 00s?) and partly because its just so God damn beautiful.

Not much love for The Terminal.

A bad and unintended side effect of these polls is that it gives the appearance that the less voted scores are somehow unloved. The Terminal is one of my favorite scores of that decade, with perhaps one of Williams' best love themes.

There are some very emotional themes in War of the Worlds. I'm thinking of Refugee Status and Ray and Rachel. For Williams, it's musically very stripped down and extremely effective.

I occasionally can't stand the big stereotypical eastern sound in Geisha. It sounds like Williams out of his element and trying too hard.

It has achingly beautiful parts. Bit not all of it works. And that theme is suspect. Too similar to the Gondor theme.

Lol. This is as tenuous as me comparing Trevor Jones's theme from CLIFFHANGER to As Time Goes By.

Indeed. So what if it shares an interval or two, hardly makes it an issue.

And it's not even the main theme that I find most beautiful. More the ways he employed all those different colours. I personally think Memoirs is one of the finest examples of ethnically-tinged scoring in film music ("trying to hard" - bah!).

I suppose its the concert suite that I adore so much, which really made me appreciate the love affair Williams had with the project, and the craftsmanship behind it all.

Watched Horner's appearance at "Hollywood in Vienna" the other night. Most laughable was the obligatory song presentation, you know, to "widen appeal." Nearly lost it when the singer walked down off the stage of the Wiener Konzerthaus to mingle with the audience.

What about the time when they distributed miniature electronic torches among the audience and told us to turn them on and hold them up during the finale of the E.T. suite...

Indeed. So what if it shares an interval or two, hardly makes it an issue.

And it's not even the main theme that I find most beautiful. More the ways he employed all those different colours. I personally think Memoirs is one of the finest examples of ethnically-tinged scoring in film music ("trying to hard" - bah!).

I suppose its the concert suite that I adore so much, which really made me appreciate the love affair Williams had with the project, and the craftsmanship behind it all.

And non thematic tracks like Destiny's Path, As the Water or Chiho's Prayer are just lovely. Chiho's theme is achingly beautiful (I think I'm naming it correctly)

It's Chiyo ;)

And yes, Destiny's Path is one of the score's great highlights.

But it's the end credits that always gets me. Just the way it soars at 2:20...orgasmic!

And it sounds a lot more impressive in the concert suite!!

A.I. for me as well. Moments from the score to me are some of the most beautiful pieces Williams has ever done.

I hate that the OST has 2 wasted tracks with that horrendous "For Always". I really hope they release an official expanded score someday.

Had to give it to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Brimming with themes, it's a fine sequel to Young Sherlock Holmes. I love the Family Portrait theme that represents Harry's family as he stares in the mirror, used at the end of the film. Stuff like the Arrival at Hogwarts and the Entry into the Great Hall are what do it for me.

AI is a superb dust collector. It's only function. The film is total shit. Probably the worst acting of any Spielberg film.