Which version of the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack will you buy?

Jay

Version purchasing questions  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the An Unexpected Journey soundtrack did you buy?

• I bought the Standard (jewel case) OST + the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I bought the Standard (jewel case) OST + the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I only bought the Standard (jewel case) OST
    • I only bought the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I only bought the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I bought both the Decca AND WaterTower versions of the Special Edition OST!
    • I only bought it in digital form (iTunes, Amazon, qobuz, etc)
    • I didn't buy it at all!
  2. 2. Which version of the Desolation of Smaug OST will you buy?

• I will only buy the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will buy the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will only buy the Standard (jewel case) OST
    • I will buy the Standard (jewel case) OST + the WaterTower version of the Special Edition OST
    • I will buy the Standard (jewel case) OST + the Decca version of the Special Edition OST
    • I want to pick up both the WaterTower and Decca versions of the Special Edition OST!
    • I will only buy it digitally.
    • I will not buy it at all.

I remember B&N used to be my soundtrack heaven back in the early days. They had a huge section just for them, but priced at $18+. It's hardly worth it when, you know, you have the internet. I still don't understand why some members (*cough* KM *cough* Pasi *cough*) want to buy music in a store.

Yup my copy is at my house right now. Amazon rules.

Meanwhile, Amazon hasn't even shipped my copy yet. Must be because I chose "standard shipping."

I like the art on the standard soundtrack much better this time around than I did on AUJ.

I love that poster of Bilbo standing in front of Erebor.

I like the art on the standard soundtrack much better this time around than I did on AUJ.

I love that poster of Bilbo standing in front of Erebor.

That image as you can see in above pictures is once again in the booklet of the SE edition the same way the Regular edition cover was the cover of the AUJ SE booklet last year.

I live in the UK, and last year I bought the Decca SE soundtrack, and upon taking one look at it, promptly returned it to Amazon UK and ordered the Watertower version from Amazon US...which actually ended up being about the same price, even w/international shipping, and it arrived in a week.

This year, I just ordered the Watertower edition from Amazon US straight up, which unfortunately is still in "Preparing for Shipment" mode.

Doesn't change the fact that I've been enjoying listening to the soundtrack anyway. :)

Amazon still hadn't shipped my CDs as of 14:30 this afternoon, so I canceled the order and just bought it at Best Buy. Then I got home and discovered that under the shrink wrap, the liner notes had somehow been ripped from the outer book.....

Whatever. It's on my shelf now, right where it belongs next to AUJ. :D

I find it funny that the special edition with the purple cover has beige CDs, while the standard version with the light cover has purple discs.

I exchanged the discs from the two editions btw, so now my special edition discs are in the jewel case. I'll rarely listen to the standard edition anyway, so there is little chance of tearing apart the cardboard.

I find it funny that the special edition with the purple cover has beige CDs, while the standard version with the light cover has purple discs.

I exchanged the discs from the two editions btw, so now my special edition discs are in the jewel case. I'll rarely listen to the standard edition anyway, so there is little chance of tearing apart the cardboard.

I assume you got the Decca? It was the same last year, the SE had the beige discs and the standard had the brown ones (I think with a hobbit hole door pattern).

Does the booklet from the crappy Decca release fit inside a jewel case, or has it, like An Unexpected Journey, slightly too many thick pages for that?

It is quite thick. Let's just say this - if you're bothered about packaging, then order the US version.

I myself ripped the cover a bit while trying to take the disc out for the first time. Same exact thing happened last year.

I wonder whether this will turn out to be a trilogy of its own?

Karol

I suppose these SEs are the equivalent of the CRs of The Lord Of The Rings?

Nope. For the first film alone, there are about 50 minutes of unreleased music (mostly film versions of cues available on the album + a few unreleased cues). The second film also seems to have unreleased music.

I meant in terms of there being an OST and then an expanded equivalent, not in terms of amount of music included.

Last night I finally got to spend time with both releases. One thing to point out is that last year with AUJ, both versions had liner notes by Doug Adams talking about the themes (with the Standard Edition notes being a shortened version of the full notes in the SE version).

This time around, the Standard version has NO notes at all! Oddly Doug is credited in the Standard booklet for writing notes but none appear.

There really is NO reason to buy the Standard OST this time around. Not only is there no liners, the SE also has an exclusive two page note from PJ, not to mention the interactive sketch and most importantly, more music!

Because I like to listen to all my CDs once through before they go on the shelf forever, I listened to the Standard OST while driving around yesterday. Definitely a far inferior experience compares to the SE! Some of the music edits are really jarring, especially in Mirkwood and Spell of Concealment. The SE program I'm used to just flows much much better.

Hopefully tonight I can finally see what the interactive sketch is all about!

There really is NO reason to buy the Standard OST this time around. Not only is there no liners, the SE also has an exclusive two page note from PJ, not to mention the interactive sketch and most importantly, more music!

Sure there is - my OCD demands it! (I also have two versions of the OST for TTT, the "regular edition" and the special edition w/ the FOTR EE track - since there is a minor trim somewhere in the TTT music to make room for the bonus track. I have no idea where that trim is, but I know I had to have the FULL TRACK ;))

Well yes, I own both versions of all five OSTs too, but I was trying to inform the people who might not have the disposable income I do. Of course if you were planning on having both versions no matter what, my post wasn't going to change anyone's mind. Just trying to be helpful.

Sure there is - my OCD demands it! (I also have two versions of the OST for TTT, the "regular edition" and the special edition w/ the FOTR EE track - since there is a minor trim somewhere in the TTT music to make room for the bonus track. I have no idea where that trim is, but I know I had to have the FULL TRACK ;))

One trim in "The Uruk-Hai" and one in "The Black Gate is closed". Those were very jarring after being familiar with the "regular" tracks before getting the Collector's Edition...

Got the Water Tower version today. Much better. Even the extra score sketch is printed on better paper. WTF?

Obviously Decca is a stingy company that's what!