What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

If there is a thread like this ignore this one and point me in that direction.

For me it would have to be Gabriel Yared's score for Troy i liked it until the wailing like a banshee track. After that everything just goes down hill. I expected a masterpeice.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread like this but no one's posted in it for a long time, so this should be okay.

~Sturgis, who's been listening to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory lately

Yes, I've been playing that too over the last few days. Great themes, nice orchestrations, and huge fun - I still can't believe this came from two MV factory workers.

Marian - who just dug out Doyle's Donnie Brasco again.

The shuffle goes for 11 hours with high bit rate MP3.

K.M.Who loads about 10 scores at a time into the shuffle than play them in order untill the battery dies

I know where the other thread is, but I'm not giving any links today.

I've been kind of all over the place with my scores lately. I've got them all in iTunes and I'm listening mostly on random. I have ID4 playing now, though (the OST).

- Marc, going to Amsterdam in an hour to possibly look for some new CDs.

:music: David Arnold - Canceled Leave from Independence Day

For me it would have to be Gabriel Yared's score for Troy i liked it until the wailing like a banshee track. After that everything just goes down hill. I expected a masterpeice.

Really, is it that bad? Then I guess the score was righteously rejected, huh?

Horner's replacement score has even more ethnic wailing.

I usually just skip the wailing cues and listen to those lovely fanfares he did. Horner's Troy isn't all bad.

I usually just skip the wailing cues and listen to those lovely fanfares he did. Horner's Troy isn't all bad.

The wailing track, (mourning women i think) is jarring, but the others are fine, even the end credit song.

At least this is a movie about greeks, and the near orient. Ethnic wail comes from there (or is mostly related there...) I like the source music because it's so 'turkish', like Iskenderum from Williams in LC.

Alien - Complete (Goldsmith)

The Eiger Sanction - Williams

A View To A Kill - Barry

The Hulk - Elfman

Cape Fear (Original) - Herrmann

List Of Adrian Messenger - Goldsmith

Just that the lovely fanfares aren't by Horner...

Regarding Yared, perhaps the wailing women track (Hector's funeral) is a bit jarring at first, but it's quickly grown on me. At least it sounds much more authentic than the typical Hornerish hollywood-wail. The biggest complaint I have towards Horner's score is that it doesn't sound appropriate for the setting in the slightest. It sounds American all over (especially Achilles's theme). But I guess this makes the mighty test screening crowd happy...

Close Encounter Of The Third Kind, which I bought recently (the expanded release).

I have to say, although I've already heard all those great Williams scores like Schindler's List, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, E.T. and so on, I think Close Encounters is his best score to date. I was blown away when I first heard it.

Concerning Yared's Troy : I think it's definitely the best score he has done in his carreer (depending on taste), but I wouldn't describe it as "brilliant".

I'm listening to something new in my collection just about every day.

Right now, "Return of the Jedi" is in my car. "The Village," "The First Wives Club" and "Schindler's List" are in my CD player at home.

I will often listen to "POA" or "Sorcerer's Stone" at least once a week, as well as my six-volume set of nominated Oscar songs.

The 13th Warrior, by Goldsmith. I really like the empowering main theme, except that it's played many times with very little variation. Still, there's some awesome horn stuff in this score which makes it pretty fun to listen to. Not a masterpiece by any means, but solid Goldsmith.

Ray Barnsbury

I played the rejected score to Torn Curtain.  Now I'm playing the rejected score to Troy.

Neil

Yared's Troy to my ears is the best music I've heard for a film score in the new milennium. I analyzed it for an article I wrote last year and after having heard it more than 100 times, it still blows me away.

The Incredibles

Max-Who is playing this for marching and gets the sax solo in The Glory Days

I used to love this score until i listened to From Russia With Love. Road Trip sounds almost exactly the same.

Errr... That was the idea.

Have you stopped listening to Williams' scores that sound like others (whether intentional or not)?

It was? And i never stated that i stopped listening to it, its just that when i did that detail buged me.

The Incredibles is very heavily Bond influenced, so it's no surprise one of the tracks sounds like the 007 theme. I still like Road Trip.

Also, I think Kronos Reveiled sounds very much like YOLT.

It was? And i never stated that i stopped listening to it, its just that when i did that detail buged me.

Sorry, I assumed you knew :fouetaa:. Brad Bird wanted a very 60's jazz style of music for the film and asked John Barry to score it. Barry, having not written a jazzy, Bond-ish score for twenty years, said he couldn't do it; that his writing had evolved too much and too far to go back. That was a pretty irrelevent story, (and I read it in an interview with Giacchino, so it's his take of things) but basically Brad Bird wanted a jazzy, Barry-esque, Bond-like score (ack! too many nouns into adjectives) and Giacchino gave him that.

So the similarities are intentional. Or perhaps "007" was the temp track, thus being ordered to retain its sound. Whatever.

Machine Age-Bicentennial Man

I dont care about Horner's complete reuse of the themes from Sneakers and A Beautiful Mind but I still like those piano motifs.

So the similarities are intentional. Or perhaps "007" was the temp track, thus being ordered to retain its sound. Whatever.

For me one of the best tracks of the CD.

I like very much the 007 theme, but in Thunderball is almost unlistenable due to repetition (I prefer the YOLT version). And i find Giacchino's too short :wave: Life is miserable... :fouetaa: