JJ Abrams on working with John Williams

Romão

Very insightful interview with JJ Abrams

He does mention John Williams:

So: John Williams!

Oh my God! First of all, forget his talent and his achievement. As a person, hes the guy you want to know more than anyone. He is the sweetest soul Ive ever met. Hes like this jazzman who became one of the greatest composers of all time. He literally calls you baby! Like, Hey, baby. He calls me J.J. Baby. I waited all my life to meet someone who would call me that!

That's fucking awesome. As are the rest of JJ's comments. But that one rules.

Thanks for posting! LOVE what he says about John Williams!!

Especially this:

He is the sweetest soul I’ve ever met. He’s like this jazzman who became one of the greatest composers of all time. He literally calls you “baby”! Like, “Hey, baby.” He calls me “J.J. Baby.” I waited all my life to meet someone who would call me that!

:lol:

At least in terms of intentions, JJ's heart seems to be in the right place. He really does say all the right things. I hope the movie delivers

He literally calls you “baby”! Like, “Hey, baby.” He calls me “J.J. Baby.”

:lol: that's great. I don't think I ever knew that about him.

:lol:

When you reach 83, people in their 40s all feel still like babies.

A great quote from J.J. about the Maestro. :)

I'm not bullshitting I seem to remember him referring to someone in a similar 'jazzy' way in some really old obscure documentary footage I probably stumbled upon on YouTube. He had a baton in his hand and he was speaking down from the conductor's pedestal at the person. I remember grinning to myself about it.

Hey JW calls Yo-Yo Ma "angel" so I think "baby" is a downgrade from that. :P

Around 2:30

That "baby" thing, doesn't sound like Williams. Weird.

Sure it does. Johnny comes from the world of jazz! Not to mention, wheres that video of him conducting the USMC band and saying they're "one hot band". Its the lingo of the era he grew up in.

I deplore Abrams in every way imaginable but am inordinately pleased of the amount of praise he heaps on Giacc--- I mean, Williams.

I am so glad that TFA exists purely for this quote. Holy crap.

Do you ever hear the multitude of other directors who've worked with JW lavishing this much praise on the man?? JJ is so obviously as big a fanboy as all of us.

What an absolute delight this score must have been for him. I've got no doubt Treverrow holds the same feelings, just not as sure about Johnson. His level of expertise of direction is easily the raw parallel of Cuaron; if he can secure JW for VIII we're in astonishing safe hands for the future of film music.

from the Harry Potter sessions (2001) "Williams is totally professional and focused. He creates a pleasant working atmosphere but does not let anything get past him; he may address people as “angel” or “baby” or even “angel baby,” but they jump when he asks for something."

from the Harry Potter sessions (2001) "Williams is totally professional and focused. He creates a pleasant working atmosphere but does not let anything get past him; he may address people as “angel” or “baby” or even “angel baby,” but they jump when he asks for something."

What does he ask that makes them jump?