What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Here's other stuff they played

No Walton?

Well they can't have everything in that one concert Marian. ;)

When the Whales Came by Christopher Gunning

Sabrina by John Williams

Of course not. And it looks like a great programme.

But I'd love to hear Walton's Henry V suite live someday. Or As You Like It, for that matter.

Minority Report (nearly) complete score. This has been one of my favorite JW's since first listen. I am unable to articulate in musical terminology...anything, really. All I can say is that this thing's got me hooked right from the start, and I'm floored for an hour and a half of my life.

Of course not. And it looks like a great programme.

But I'd love to hear Walton's Henry V suite live someday. Or As You Like It, for that matter.

Yeah, but then it was already two and a half hours of music. Perhaps even more.

Karol

I really like Pat Doyle's AS YOU LIKE IT.

Is RAGGEDY MAN Goldsmith's last really charming score? I think so, all of the small stuff he did later was in one way or another infested by more generic Hollywood schmaltz (LOVE FIELD, RUDY, POWDER). There is one badly cut sequence in the movie when E. T.'s Henry Thomas and his brother fly a kite. If you listen to the score cue it's just sublime, if you watch the sequence later you will wistfully remember a time when composers could pull rabbits out of hats for half-finished movies that played maybe for 3 days in the theater.

Mercenaries: Playground Of Destruction

by Michael Giacchino and Chris Tilton

Mercenaries 2: World In Flames

by Chris Tilton

Black

by Michael Giacchino and Chris Tilton

Fracture

by Chris Tilton and Chad Seiter

I need Tilton to write more music.

It's been awhile since I listened to the Mercenaries scores, but they are fantastic. The first one feels a lot like an MOH score. The sequel is full Tilton style. Black would be my personal favorite out of all of these, simply because I played the game like crazy when it came out.

If you haven't listened to Fracture, I think you would like that one the best. Can't really say which one is my least favorite. Probably World In Flames, but that's not saying it's bad.

I need Tilton to write more music.

Agreed!

Him and Andrea Datzman's scores to Alcatraz (short lived Fox TV series) NEEDS a release. It's among the best scores of the 2010s and was my favorite TV scoring of 2012. Not a second has been released anywhere or leaked, and its fantastic!

1X7Qy8h.jpg

Beasts Of The Southern Wild - Dan Romer & Benh Zeitlin (2012)

It's the kind of score, when you return to it, that makes you think: "Why don't I listen to this more?". Great music for a great film. The main theme (that appears for example at 02'57 in The Bathtub, for example), as well as the other motifs that show up throughout the score are wonderfully whimsical.

The main theme is a full-blown americana hymn...nothing really whimsical about it, or is it?

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith: I am still deeply impressed by this score even more so after several listens when the nuances and the whole thematic development has become clearer. Vintage Jerry.

36924.jpg

Currently Jarre's rejected score is playing. Only my first listen, but it's pretty awful. Or it's good and I just don't like Jarre's style.

There's a theme in there, which is ok when it appears, but everything else is all over the place.

I feel it would've sucked the fun right out of the film because the music is simply too overblown and frantic.

Luckily Jerry stepped in and wrote a much more entertaining score.

Jaws 3-D. Try listening to the two discs and not have the themes stuck in your head. It's a fun listen, and wow, do I want them to do a proper 3-D blu ray of this turkey of a film.

He actually smeared poo on all the microphones before the session started.

Was that in the Abrams liner notes or can you just obviously hear it on the recording?

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith: I am still deeply impressed by this score even more so after several listens when the nuances and the whole thematic development has become clearer. Vintage Jerry.

What else is new...

Jarre isn't a very good composer.

Douchebag!

Jarre isn't a very good composer.

Douchebag!

Well he is kind of Jarring!

:rimshot:

What else is new...

Nihil novi sub sole mi amice, nihil novi.

Superman Returns

John Ottman does a decent job of updating the superhero sound for the '00's, but the score seems to be loud all the time. Even the "quieter" parts are backed by a huge choir. It's decent music, but its lack of variation in scope makes it all sound a bit same-y.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: Darker, edgier and perhaps in some ways better than it predecessor.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies by Howard Shore: While not in all respects the satisfying ending to the trilogy we fans were waiting for it still is a one heck of a score, which is only brought down a notch in my mind (and ears) by the awful bassy mix.

John Williams - Empire of the Sun (OST)

John Williams - Jurassic Park (OST)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

Eh....

Eh... Are you part of the recording team or do you just have a huuuuge imagination?

:music: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Karol

Ah nothing beats a classic.

:music: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Karol

Ah nothing beats a classic.

That always remember me I must get the hands on this Indiana Jones Collection boxset... another thing to add on my list. Yet I just made a razzia on Amazon... again!

El Cid (the Tadlow Re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa:

The Wind and the Lion by Jerry Goldsmith

The Ghost and the Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith

The Lion in Winter by John Barry

Epic I should say.

And some of it yesterday.