Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Forget about director and cast, this thing is 20 years beyond expiration date. The first Spielbergs came at a time when the event movie was the exception not the norm - and they did all the thrills ever to be expected from a dinosaur spectacle.

Universal really chartered a JAWS THE REVENGE cruise here...

I'm not crazy about using Williams themes. I don't want another score like JP3 that kind of tried to sound like Williams but kind of sucked too

I always enjoyed this one. While I do agree adaptation of Williams' themes is hardly the most impressive thing about it, there is some crazy otherwordly writing (and playing) in there. Now, Don Davis knows how to do noisy over the rop monster music.

Karol

And thus Giacchino as it is said in the press release wants to steer into a new direction with this score.

Link? I don't see anything about that in the press release in the main post...

He refers to:

"“Michael Giacchino is a fiercely creative musical mind and a true ‘Jurassic Park’ fan. While this new score will honor the indelible work of John Williams, our mission is the same as the film itself–to create something bold and new for people who love dinosaurs,” added Trevorrow."

Yea, I dunno if that means a new direction, though.

I don't think Giacchino is going to go too far out of his comfort zone, nor would the producers want him too.

I could see both parties not wanting to rely on the Williams themes much, though.

I could see both parties not wanting to rely on the Williams themes much, though.

Which is perfectly fine as long as they return for a few minutes of striking statements ;)

Yea, I dunno if that means a new direction, though.

I don't think Giacchino is going to go too far out of his comfort zone, nor would the producers want him too.

I doubt that it means the music will go to a wildly new and strange direction. I take Giacchino meaning that he will do his own thing rather than slavishly trying to emulate John Williams or quoting him every other minute in his score.

Well, the director said they will honour Williams as well.

Karol

A few well placed nostalgic homages to Williams' music won't do any harm. :)

There seem to have been quite a few who were hoping that John Williams would return. I wonder if this reflects on many initial reactions to Giacchino getting the gig. I am tentatively optimistic about this.

I don't think there was anyone expecting Williams to return to the project.

I'm still not excited for this. Like I said, meh.

There seem to have been quite a few who were hoping that John Williams would return. I wonder if this reflects on many initial reactions to Giacchino getting the gig. I am tentatively optimistic about this.

I don't there was anyone stupid enough to expect Williams to return to the project.

It is just the spring weariness speaking KK. Shake it off man! Think positive! At least it is not Jablonsky, Djawadi, Lorne Balfe or Geoff Zanelli!

You know what? The moment I heard this cue (especially after 2:30) I thought to myself "Jurassic Park!" - the brass, woodwinds, percussion. It's one of the closest impressions of Williams I've ever heard.

Karol

I'd definitely be curious to hear Desplat's take.

In fact, I think I would probably be more interested in having a "nobody" name attached to the project. Not another RC drone, but one of the smaller guys, like the many European/Spaniard composers you never hear about (in the big scene that is).

I don't there was anyone stupid enough to expect Williams to return to the project.

It is just the spring weariness speaking KK. Shake it off man! Think positive! At least it is not Jablonsky, Djawadi, Lorne Balfe or Geoff Zanelli!
Can't help it man!

And those guys would be cool! Just think of all the pounding drums!!!

I was hoping Desplat got the gig.

Desplat has enough on his plate. He should not hog all the major blockbuster scoring gigs.

Or maybe John Williams just didn't see much promise in Jurassic World.

Question is, does anyone?

I do. There's sufficient time for people to forget about Jurassic Park 3.

I certainly don't. With an inexperienced director and screenwriter as well as an Indie film-like cast; the chances of success are slim.

The thing is, the inexperienced folks are far more likely to bring something new to the table. And unlike Andrew Stanton, Trevorrow directed a live-action film prior to JW.

Just watch some good movies. There's so much monster schlock out there, do you really need ANOTHER Jurassic Park movie to die a happy man?

Desplat has enough on his plate. He should not hog all the major blockbuster scoring gigs.

I'd rather him than Giacchino, or Doyle, or JNH.

Unless he stops doing awful recordings that make 120-150 people sound half that size then I am not letting him near other monster movies!

Chris Gordon. he writes better action music than either one... :)

Unless he stops doing awful recordings that make 120-150 people sound half that size then I am not letting him near other monster movies!

Most of the scores you so cherish do with 70 to 90 players so stop being so bombastic!

Christopher Gordon would have been lovely. But I don't want him to channel/quote someone else, to be honest.

And Desplat's Godzilla actually gets really big towards the end (track 14 - end). The score reveals new details as I listen. Quite typically for this composer, really.

Karol

Most of the scores you so cherish do with 70 to 90 players so stop being so bombastic!

You know me. It is Booomtzzz or bust!

But Godzilla should have sounded meatier with those forces behind it.

Christopher Gordon would have been lovely. But I don't want him to channel/quote someone else, to be honest.

Karol

I doubt he would channel anyone if he got the gig. He might do those obligatory quotes of Williams' themes but I trust that his music would be pretty much his own all the way through. Or if he was allowed to do his own thing that it.

I don't think he's done a lot of action music per se. But, speaking of monster movies, he did some really cool percussion tracks for Daybreakers (for 30 percussionists). A rather excellent score, quite rich and intelligent.

http://youtu.be/MSvlziMPnJg

His other music is rather classically influenced (like Moby Dick).

Karol - who'd say he and Desplat really go toe-to-toe in this department

Not another RC drone, but one of the smaller guys, like the many European/Spaniard composers you never hear about (in the big scene that is).

Spaniards aren't Europeans?

I had some Spaniards in mind, thus the emphasis.

That would have been a nice choice indeed.

You didn't take my advice did you, you stick in the mud?!

Just watch some good movies. There's so much monster schlock out there, do you really need ANOTHER Jurassic Park movie to die a happy man?

Just visit other threads. There are so many obscure threads out there, do you really need to poop on ANOTHER franchise to die a happy man?

You didn't take my advice did you, you stick in the mud?!

If a score needs a 5.1 sound system to sound good then I give up.

Just visit other threads. There are so many obscure threads out there, do you really need to poop on ANOTHER franchise to die a happy man?

Hypocrite!

You spend two years shitting on every sliver of news that came in about TASM 2!

Been gone the last few days so I am late on this party, but I am ecstatic that Giacchino was chosen to do Jurassic World! I knew it was a long shot Williams himself would come back, so I think they chose the best man. The only other people I would have been equally excited for would be James Newton Howard, David Arnold, Don Davis again, or an oddball choice like Elliot Goldenthal.

People only ever mention the two Playstation games Giacchino did for The Lost World, (Lost World and Warpath). However, he did a third one during that time as well for the PC called Chaos Island, which was a strategy game. He did music for it's cut scenes, mission briefing videos, and gameplay, as well as the overall sound design of the game. Some of it's music was available as a bonus track on his Lost World Playstation CD. You can hear his music for the cut scenes and briefing videos in this video I uploaded below that features all of the videos:

Anyway, it really IS cool he is doing this. And it is clear he is a big Jurassic Park fan.

Unless he stops doing awful recordings that make 120-150 people sound half that size!

Can't be any worse than BTTF2 or Super 8..