John Carter (Of Mars) directed by Andrew Stanton, music by Michael Giacchino

Jay

No persuit of dejah? or is that the cue name, and these are the OST track names?

Pursuit of Dejah = Sab Than Pursues The Princess

Is track 12 a Monkey Island reference?

I am so THRILLED that Disney paid the choir fees for the enormous amount of choir in this score. And they paid for a 74 minute CD to boot. AND it's on a PRESSED CD and not digital-only! We are truly blessed!

Is track 12 a Monkey Island reference?

While I don't know if its a Monkey Island reference but it can also be a Get Smart reference. As its a verbal gag that Don Adams used a lot on the show (especially early on).

They are probably only selling the OST for a few months and then taking it out of circulation. Typical Disney move

EDIT: Or, maybe because of the huge amount of choir in the score, the negotiated a choir rate that only allowed them to press 10,000 copies or something.

The samples are only 30 seconds long. Only got to hear around nine minutes.

I hear themes for the Therns and the Tharks (maybe Helium) and some things could correspond to the Warhoon or Sab Than. I wonder if Woola has a theme.

I have to admit I laughed hard at the sample of the third track, given when it's supposed to go. I read they storyboarded that even before writing it, as if it was animated.

My God, this is wonderful. Some of the richest, lushest stuff I've heard from Giacchino. I'm getting very excited for the film and the score both.

I listened to the clips releaseda few days ago (in the "long version") and continue to have high hopes for this John Carter. Will not be a masterpiece as I expected from the very first preview of a few months ago and there are several things that did not convince me.

For example, track 2, Get Carter has a segment ripped from Escaping Gotha from Medal of Honor - Frontline. The subsequent exposure of the main themes, although different melodically, is accompanied in an extremely similar way.

I've heard all this before - on the board, I mean- and I'm going to have to see the film before I even begin to entertain the hype (on here) for this score.

However, as usual, I'm dying to be surprised.

"The Second Biggest Apes I've Seen This Month" is an awesome Giacchino action track. It's like Chutes and Matter on overdrive

Andrew Stanton talks about the film and Giacchino's score:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/53561/

I told him… I said, “Look there’s a sense of space opera adventure that of course comes from the DNA of STAR WARS that we are going to want to tap into for this,” because that’s what the books feel like and that’s what inspired people that went on to make other things based on their reads of the books, “so we are definitely going to want to be in that camp in that massive John Williams light motif feel” which he was dying to jump into. I said, “I also want it to feel evocative of a culture” and I kept referring to things like THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST and APOCALYPTO, just films that had scores that made you feel like there was a deeper history of culture that was behind many of these cities and people. I said “If we can find a way to weave these two things together, that would be ideal” and damned if he just didn’t knock it out of the park. I told him when I heard that score finally done, I said “I haven’t felt this way since when I bought my double LP of STAR WARS when I was a kid in 1977.”

Excited for the score, still think the movie is going to be a piece of crap.

Those clips aren't exactly helping the film's case Chaac ;)

The CGI in this film looks surprisingly bad, especially the first clip. That creature (whatever you call it) sticks out like a soar thumb. The alien creatures aren't that bad though.

You can tell I know next to nothing about the book :P

I cry bullshit physics. That boat didn't budge an inch when he landed on it. If it didn't break, it should have at least gone down a bit.

Oh wait. He's walking around on Mars with a blue sky, breathable air, and liquid water.

My bad.

This is a Lowell's like Mars. Of course back in its time Wallace had already explained why this didn't make sense but it was a nice fantasy.

I'd peed myself if they made a film about the real Mars.

The CGI in this film looks surprisingly bad, especially the first clip. That creature (whatever you call it) sticks out like a soar thumb. The alien creatures aren't that bad though.

I don't know about the textures and lighting but I think the animation is very good.

I haven't seen Mission To Mars in a long time but I remember it being rather bad. Morricone went on his own and pretty much composed away from the film, so it stands out a lot. Great album, though.

I enjoy Red Planet for what it is. Good action sci-fi.

Not sure why people are thinking this looks to be so sucky. Stanton did great work with his two Pixar entries, and this is a passion project for him. I find this interview to be very encouraging:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86102

Between his comments, the footage, and what we've heard of the score, I'm getting pretty pumped for this, honestly.

“light motif"
??

Does he mean leitmotif?

Most likely which has then gotten mangled in the transcription of the interview.

“light motif"
??

Does he mean leitmotif?

Most likely which has then gotten mangled in the transcription of the interview.

Yeah, probably transcribed by Harry. Lots of typos throughout. Very interesting interview, though. Regardless of the naysaying, I'm quite exicted for the film. Stanton's enthusiasm is contagious.

I found these pics and videos on Twitter from the John Carter scoring sessions:

I found a picture that shows some cue titles and some slate numbers.

Can you post that here?

Jeff Bond has high praise about this score

This is my favorite score of Giacchino's. I think he does something that may be a turning point for his evolution as a composer here--he integrates the very emotionally direct writing familiar from things like Lost and the opening of Star Trek with his action music. Before this, particularly in the Mission Impossible scores and Star Trek, the action music was extremely aggressive, designed to punch through the sound mix, so it tended to exist apart from the more emotional writing at times. Here it all works more as a whole--this is the most romantic sci-fi score I've heard since Arnold's Stargate. Great stuff.

The samples I heard are amazing. I cannot wait to hear this in it's entirety. Thanks Jay, purchasing that and a few other things right now. My wallet hates you, but I don't my friend.

I can't think of another of the younger generation of composers working on mainstream film and TV at the moment that matches Giacchino. I can't wait to hear this score in full. Sounds like his biggest to date. Not that size equates to a superior score of course, but he really seems to have knocked this one out of the park.