What are the differences between Raiders March and Tintin's Heroic Theme in terms of what they express?

Josh500

Which do you prefer? (I am sure RM will win, but who knows? Maybe some of you prefer this "new and fresh" heroic theme by JW!)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Raiders March
    • Tintin's Heroic Theme

No you blithering idiot! If someone is sarcastically giving an opinion, and you agree with that opinion as if it was serious, then you are not actually agreeing with him!

Hlao Roo is reading your posts and laughing his ass of!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you blithering idiot! If someone is sarcastically giving an opinion, and you agree with that opinion as if it was serious, then you are not actually agreeing with him!

Hlao Roo is reading your posts and laughing his ass of!

No you moron! :rolleyes:

If somebody writes something (without any indication that what he wrote was sarcastic--no emoticon or whatever), and I happen to agree with what he wrote, then of course I will take it seriously!

Whether that's what he really thinks or not, is beside the point! That's what I think!

It's a post by Hlao Roo!

Well, obviously I don't spend nearly as much time here, and I am not as familiar with everybody's posting idiosyncrasies as you seem to be!

Still yeah, you have a point!

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme,

Haddock's Theme, the Scroll Theme, the villain's theme, Sir Red Rackham's Theme, the Dueling Theme, Snowy's theme are based on Tintin's Theme?

Just Haddock, Unicorn theme, Adventure Continues, and Snowy's theme. But Sir Francis' theme is based on Haddock's theme, and the Red Rackam's theme is based on Sakharine's theme.

:lol:

And Thomson and Thompson's theme?

Tintin's theme is an enormous missed opportunity. Quite possibly Williams' least memorable theme for a titular character. It's grown on me a bit, but mostly only in the statements where the orchestration is interesting enough to overcome the melodic mediocrity. The Raiders March, on the other hand, is brilliant and memorable, and it wins easily.

Let me guess. Tintin's theme rubs you the wrong way! :P

No...it doesn't rub me at all! :P

Well, of course I knew that Tintin's heroic theme would not be as popular as Raiders March, sure, but Tintin's theme doesn't seem to be regarded very highly at all here (with a few exceptions)...

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme,

Haddock's Theme, the Scroll Theme, the villain's theme, Sir Red Rackham's Theme, the Dueling Theme, Snowy's theme are based on Tintin's Theme?

Just Haddock, Unicorn theme, Adventure Continues, and Snowy's theme. But Sir Francis' theme is based on Haddock's theme, and the Red Rackam's theme is based on Sakharine's theme.

And Thomson and Thompson's theme?

I'm being serious. Thomson and Thompson's theme is not based on Tintin's, although the piano counterline is hinted at in the end of "Adventure of Tintin."

You know, I hadn't notice how Sir Francis and Rackham's Theme are based around his grandson's themes! I assumed there was a similarity, but I didn't notice until now...

This score is full of surprises! It's a mistery why is so underrated around here...

You know, I hadn't notice how Sir Francis and Rackham's Theme are based around his grandson's themes! I assumed there was a similarity, but I didn't notice until now...

This score is full of surprises! It's a mistery why is so underrated around here...

Well not underrated. Undiscussed more like it. Most people burned themselves out on it during the sub-forum phase.

Yup! One thing I love about Tintin is that there's always new details to pick up.

You know, I hadn't notice how Sir Francis and Rackham's Theme are based around hisgrandson's themes! I assumed there was a similarity, but I didn't notice until now...

Yup! One thing I love about Tintin is that there's always new details to pick up.

Surely someone must have already mentioned this, but in case not: I love how "The Adventure Continues" is actually a variation of Haddock's theme! Cleverly done, and similar in technique (although certainly not in style!) to Sayuri's theme being a variation of Chiyo's theme in MoaG.

As to Tintin's theme, I think it's very well thought-out, and I feel that those who lament its brevity might perhaps judge it as something it simply was not designed to be: a big franchise theme!

It is a perfect musical depiction of several aspects of Tintin's character, certainly, but more importantly, it serves as a core for the series' musical universe (the #4-5-1 intervallic cadence being its signature).

(And, for the sake of clarity, by "Tintin's theme", I'm referring to the heroic fanfare, not the

"puzzle theme", and not the "danger theme")

You know, I hadn't notice how Sir Francis and Rackham's Theme are based around hisgrandson's themes! I assumed there was a similarity, but I didn't notice until now...

Surely someone must have already mentioned this, but in case not: I love how "The Adventure Continues" is actually a variation of Haddock's theme! Cleverly done, and similar in technique (although certainly not in style!) to Sayuri's theme being a variation of Chiyo's theme in MoaG.

As to Tintin's theme, I think it's very well thought-out, and I feel that those who lament its brevity might perhaps judge it as something it simply was not designed to be: a big franchise theme!

It is a perfect musical depiction of several aspects of Tintin's character, certainly, but more importantly, it serves as a core for the series' musical universe (the #4-5-1 intervallic cadence being its signature).

(And, for the sake of clarity, by "Tintin's theme", I'm referring to the heroic fanfare, not the

I am actually thinking that some people are reading too much into it. I don't buy the fact that "Tintin's heroic theme" is actually a variation of half the themes in this score, nor that the "Adventure Continues" is based on "Haddock's theme" or vice versa.

Like it has been said, if you looked (or listened) hard enough, you could find connections between any two themes...

Oh, nice observation! I always assumed it was a variation on Tintin's theme, but now I see you're definitely right - that's Haddock for sure! Although I do think that Williams meant to use elements from Tintin's theme, i.e. starting the "Adventures Continues" on an upbeat instead of a downbeat.

I am actually thinking that some people are reading too much into it. I don't buy the fact that "Tintin's heroic theme" is actually a variation of half the themes in this score, nor that the "Adventure Continues" is based on "Haddock's theme" or vice versa.

Like it has been said, if you looked (or listened) hard enough, you could find connections between any two themes...

The thing is, if you look at almost any John Williams score (especially the ones written in the last 20 or so years), you'll find a ton of these thematic connections between related themes in a score. Geisha, KotCS, Far and Away, War Horse, the prequels, E.T., Accidental Tourist, just to name a few...all have it. I don't think it's a coincidence, in fact JW isn't the first to do it (he borrowed the idea from Wagner).

You read all these complex thematic connections in Tintin, and yet you don't like the action cues because they feel "jerky"?

Yes, for every score there's an intellectual aspect to it and an emotional aspect. The best scores excel at both, IMO (that's why John Williams' music is so good for me--it's both accessible and intelligent) and many of Tintin's action cues are too difficult for me to appreciate emotionally due to the jerkiness.

You read all these complex thematic connections in Tintin, and yet you don't like the action cues because they feel "jerky"?

Yes, for every score there's an intellectual aspect to it and an emotional aspect. A good score excels in both, IMO (that's why John Williams' music is so good for me--it's both accessible and intelligent) and many of Tintin's action cues are too difficult for me to appreciate due to the jerkiness.

Yeah well, there's no accounting for taste!

For me, the action cues in Tintin are some of the best JW has ever written! In many ways, more original and listenable than some of the action cues in the Star Wars prequels...