The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

The music is very loud in the film.

It can be clearly heard.

Oh and the big fanfare at the end of "Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure" does indeed play when they reveal Bagghar.

That was an awesome shot.

The more I hear this score, the more I love it. I think that this (and War Horse) will both be my favorite of scores: the ones that are interesting listens initially, but take a few listens to truly appreciate and drool over. In the end, they will give me way more satisfaction than the instantly accessible.

One thing I love about Tintin is how in the first track you can sometimes hear the woodwinds pushing down their keys and even blowing into the instruments. In a world where film music especially can seem cheapened by synthesizers, hearing these byproducts of an instrument just makes the entire experience seem much more genuine.

Yea, the whole album has passage like that... .like the mics are so close to the instruments, they picked up everything

This is a fantastic score. Every Williams (70's, 80's, 90's, 00's) is here.

Yes, exactly.

I agree too. I can't get enough of this score--there's a lot to sink my teeth into, every listen reveals new layers of musical magnitude.

Right now, "Snowy's Theme" is my favorite track (although I really tend to think that of every track I happen to be listening... ;) ).

Such a delightful, fun, optimistic, and bright piece!

I think my favourite piece on the OST album is Sir Francis and the Unicorn. Such quintessential swashbuckling mixed with great sense of legend.

MovieMusicUK review of the album is up and Broxton awards The Adventures of Tintin 5 stars. :)

http://moviemusicuk....-john-williams/

MovieMusicUK review of the album is up and Broxton awards The Adventures of Tintin 5 stars. :)

http://moviemusicuk....-john-williams/

Does it include any movie spoilers?

One of the paragraphs consists of plot details, but rest is spoiler-free.

The Pursuit of the Falcon is impressive. All the funny frenetic strings, the flute solos right there in the middle of an action cue and the statement's of Tintin's theme, each one bigger than the previous one.

Many cues sound like JW saw the scenes and went "Ah! Gotcha!".

And I love the thematic density of this, with all the interconnected leitmotives going on most of the time.

The Pursuit of the Falcon is impressive. All the funny frenetic strings, the flute solos right there in the middle of an action cue and the statement's of Tintin's theme, each one bigger than the previous one.

And I love the thematic density of this, with all the interconnected leitmotives going on most of the time.

The flute is the musical equivalent of Sakharine's falcon.

That particular track is what I have been listening to a lot. It is a great mix of old and new Williams, great thematic interplay and a fantastic finale. The brass playing in particular is spectacular. The flute idea for the falcon is also a terrific and descriptive musical detail. :)

Another part of the album I really like is the end of The Captain's Counsel, when we get Tintin's Theme followed by the Mystery Solving Theme followed by Thomson and Thompson's theme back-to-back-to-back, with no other music in between. And it flows perfectly! Williams is great a stuff like that

The score is so full of these small nuances and details. I love the way Haddock's theme goes through the transformation from the drunken version of the early tracks to the noble and warm one in Captain's Counsel and The Return to the Marlinspike Hall and Finale. It is of course classic way of varying a theme according to the character's development and change but Williams does it better than anyone. There is such beautiful sense of quiet optimism and sympathy in Haddock's theme in Captains' Counsel.

Does anyone else loves sooooo much "The Flight to Bagghar" as much as me? I find this cue one of the real highlights of this delightful score. It's just great how Williams works out the Haddock theme in this particular piece. And what about the workout for the strings? Wonderful stuff.

The score is so full of these small nuances and details. I love the way Haddock's theme goes through the transformation from the drunken version of the early tracks to the noble and warm one in Captain's Counsel and The Return to the Marlinspike Hall and Finale. It is of course classic way of varying a theme according to the character's development and change but Williams does it better than anyone. There is such beautiful sense of quiet optimism and sympathy in Haddock's theme in Captains' Counsel.

Completely agreed. Haddock's Theme is the heart of the score, and you can tell just by listening to the OST what character arc Haddock has. Out of all the themes, its the one that varies the most in performance and instrumentation. It's very catchy too, I've been humming it randomly all year long

Does anyone else loves sooooo much "The Flight to Bagghar" as much as me? I find this cue one of the real highlights of this delightful score. It's just great how Williams works out the Haddock theme in this particular piece. And what about the workout for the strings? Wonderful stuff.

You could say it is a stand out piece in a collection of stand out pieces. :) It is as I said in my analysis such a classic piece of Williamsian humor, comedy in musical form. I don't think anyone can pull such a brilliant musical wink of an eye as Williams does and get away with it with such grace. I actually laughed out loud when I first heard it as it just flits forward with so much sense of fun. All the starts and stops, the bit unsteady readings of the theme, the excellent brass and strings performances for both humor and action all in one package. Wonderful stuff indeed.

Indeed. It works almost as a Opera Entr'acte. Stuff like this makes JW's music stand head and shoulders above all others

Yes indeed!

One of my (several) favorite tracks. I know this one I will be listening to over and over again... over the next couple of decades! :) What I especially like about it: 1. the short bit 1:09-1:12, which I am pretty sure is JW imitating through the orchestra the propellers of the plane stuttering into life (it sounds that way anyway), 2. the rendition of Tintin's theme which follows it (not the most heroic example, but surely the most uplifting), and 3. the frenetic over-the-top strings (2:13-2:19) which is SO reminiscent of ToD somehow and which is then topped a few seconds later by the strings doing: 2:28-2:34. As if JW is saying, "You think that was good? Then listen to this!" :lol: I swear to God, when I heard that for the first time, I actually laughed out loud!

Completely agreed. Haddock's Theme is the heart of the score, and you can tell just by listening to the OST what character arc Haddock has. Out of all the themes, its the one that varies the most in performance and instrumentation. It's very catchy too, I've been humming it randomly all year long

So anybody managed to hum Snowy's Theme yet...? I am trying! :P

You guys should stop laughing out loud when listening to music. People might think you're crazy (and they'd be right).

I can actually listen to it without laughing out loud every time. It is not a conditioned effect you know BloodBoal. And still not listening to the OST then? No wonder you're cranky these days.

Another part of the album I really like is the end of The Captain's Counsel, when we get Tintin's Theme followed by the Mystery Solving Theme followed by Thomson and Thompson's theme back-to-back-to-back, with no other music in between. And it flows perfectly! Williams is great a stuff like that

Yes.

I am actually surprised at how much I find myself enjoying the "quieter" tracks as well...

I think the quiet tracks provide a bit of a break from the extremely frenetic action and busy feel of the rest of the score. The lighter Thompsons' music and Haddock tracks are just perfectly placed.

I think the quiet tracks provide a bit of a break from the extremely frenetic action and busy feel of the rest of the score. The lighter Thompsons' music and Haddock tracks are just perfectly placed.

Exactly!

And you know, I even find myself listening to "Bianca Castafiore" once in a while... just to get a break from all these busy and frantic JW action tracks... before jumping right back in! :)

Exactly!

And you know, I even find myself listening to "Bianca Castafiore" once in a while... just to get a break from all these busy and frantic JW action tracks... before jumping right back in! :)

You know, I honestly think I've only listened to Presenting Bianca Castafiore all the way through exactly once! I've probably heard every other track on the OST at least 10 times. I've listened to the first 30 seconds of Presenting... probably 5-10 times, but once the singing starts I never have the interest in hearing the whole thing

I have listened to the album straight through only twice so far. Individual tracks I especially like (Snowy's Theme, Flight, Pursuit, Adventure Continues, etc.) I have listened to as often as 12 times already...

I think the album experience is pretty good. I have listened to the CD through a dozen times at least by now. :)

You know, I honestly think I've only listened to Presenting Bianca Castafiore all the way through exactly once! I've probably heard every other track on the OST at least 10 times. I've listened to the first 30 seconds of Presenting... probably 5-10 times, but once the singing starts I never have the interest in hearing the whole thing

I think it's kind of relaxing, and you start getting into it. It's best to listen to it right before listening to "Pursuit." It's a natural continuation somehow... and you get to appreciate JW quoting the opera even more. Once "Pursuit" really gets going you almost say to yourself, "Oh yeah, there you go!"

I think the album experience is pretty good. I have listened to the CD through a dozen times at least by now. :)

I think the album experience is completely wonderful, with the sole exception of the opera singing. Just not my cup of tea. Perhaps after seeing the film I will appreciate it more.

I do think that re-sequencing the order of tracks into a more chronological order creates an equally good flow, although it is a shame that a cue with Haddock's theme is paired with the Capuring Silk music since that means you have to either introduce Haddock's theme before the Karaboudjan music, or feature the Capturing Silk music later than its chronological placement to preserve the proper development of Haddock's theme. Luckily I'm handy with a WAV editor :)

Jeux de vivre explains the musical joke of the Pursuit of the Falcon's opening but if I could choose it or 3 minutes of score I would definitely go with the score in a heart beat.

And yes usually JWs scores shine when presented chronologically. This one is no exception in my opinion. :)

Yes, it's a bit like listening to "Carol of the Bells" before listening to "Setting the Trap"... ;)

(Although funnily enough these tracks weren't back to back on the HA OS album.)

And yes usually JWs scores shine when presented chronologically. This one is no exception in my opinion. :)

Yea, and it should be noted that the way Wiliams ordered the OST, the development of Haddock's theme is already in the proper order.

Once I start listening to it, I tend to listen the whole thing through. Womderful album, the best score in years

So anybody think this is better than PoA or even PS?

I'd like to give some time to set it. But there many great scores in the last decade from JW besides Harry Potter. Memoirs of a Geisha is a masterpiece

I didn't thought I would enjoy the "funny" music like I'm doing. I was epically wrong, of course. JW understood what it was about, went there, nailed it, and there you go, next thing to write?

It probably had to do with the fact that JW's heart was really in this movie, and the movie probably IS funny.

More so than the monkey, refrigerator, and snake pit scenes in KotCS... (although again, the KOTCS score was actually quite good, but Tintin is tons better).

I'd like to give some time to set it. But there many great scores in the last decade from JW besides Harry Potter. Memoirs of a Geisha is a masterpiece

I agree. I just watched Memoirs of a Geisha a few days ago and the score was staggeringly beautiful.

The Adventures of Tintin is a brilliant score but I have to wait a while before I include it in the JW pantheon of scores or start comparisons. I think the giddiness levels over HPPS and Tintin during the time of the release are about the same. :)

Btw, in "Snowy's Theme," did Gloria Cheng stumble slightly over the notes at 2:04? Or was it written that way?

It's not a smooth flow of notes (like in the previous 2 cases), but there's a slight hitch halfway through...

Well, it's at number 10. ;)

1. Star Wars

2. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Schindler's List

4. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

5. Superman The Movie

6. The Empire Strikes Back

7. Jaws

8. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

9. Jurassic Park

10. Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

Well, let's see, my Top 10:

1. Jurassic Park

2. E.T. The Extraterrestrial

3. Jaws

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

6. Star Wars The Phantom Menace

7. Schindler's List

8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

9. The Adventures of Tintin

10. Home Alone

The list constantly changes, though... ;)

(And no, I haven't forgotten Star Wars and CEOT3K and Superman, etc... I generally prefer his newer scores.)

I could never put a score in my top 10 of any list that I hadn't given at least 6 months to. Durability is a strong factor in being in any top 10.

Well, this is just from my current standpoint...

I might--and probably will--change my opinion about the Tintin score over the next couple of months. For the better or for the worse, I don't know yet.

I had to edit your post due to this. You also violated rules 1 and 5 of our rules

To answer your question I had to edit, who said I wanted everyone to do that? I simply asked you a question. How am I supposed to know if your physical copy arrived or not yet.