Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The top looks like an old poorly aged print. The middle looks natural and the bottom looks dark and poorly transfered.

Am I mis-remembering ID4 too? I saw it in cinemas four times, had two versions of the VHS, the first DVD and the first blu-ray and their colour palette all looked the same.

Now this new blu-ray resembles that same piss yellow hue we've seen in Raiders, so it's obviously a trend. A bad trend. It's changing movies to look worse, not better.

24 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Am I mis-remembering ID4 too? I saw it in cinemas four times, had two versions of the VHS, the first DVD and the first blu-ray and their colour palette all looked the same.

I couldn't give a shit what ID4 looks like mate, that's not what I'm talking about here. Incidentally, I like that movie, but it does not hold up visually in any way shape or form compared to Raiders. One looks blockbuster serviceable and the other refined and sophisticated. They don't look anything like each other. 

Btw, did you see Raiders of the Lost Ark in cinemas 4 times, too? 

24 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Now this new blu-ray resembles that same piss yellow hue we've seen in Raiders, so it's obviously a trend. 

Are you saying here that in all your petulance on this matter you're completely ignoring and disregarding the evidence sample provided above? 

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

I couldn't give a shit what ID4 looks like mate, that's not what I'm talking about here. Incidentally, I like that movie, but it does not hold up visually in any way shape or form compared to Raiders. One looks blockbuster serviceable and the other refined and sophisticated. They don't look anything like each other. 

What are you talking about? I'm talking about how 4K masters are trending these days how they're going for a more yellow/gold look. The first time I saw this was the Raiders blu-ray, which I thought was a weird one-off. But then it started happening even more in these new Fox releases like Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands and now ID4. Shit, they mess around with ID4, there's hell to pay.

At least Sony does a good job on the colour accuracy of its catalogue titles. Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II and Godzilla all look beautiful. Richly colourful and vivid.

Are you saying here that in all your petulance on this matter you're completely ignoring and disregarding the evidence sample provided above? 

I still like the bottom one. Better colours.

Btw, did you see Raiders of the Lost Ark in cinemas 4 times, too? 

Back when I was a pre-born ghost.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The sequel is a bit underappreciated.

Not by me. It beats the number 2s out of the first one.

"I LOVED YOU IN WALL STREET!" :lol:

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

One of my favorite films. 

"WAR: IT'S FAAAANTASTIC!"

You need a 4K BD player. It's essentially the same transition from BD to 4K BD as it was from DVD to BD.

4K BD Players are expensive with a model briefly being available for $300 being the lowest price yet for one.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8869451-samsung-ubd-k8500-3d-wi-fi-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-player-299-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

You need a 4K BD player. It's essentially the same transition from BD to 4K BD as it was from DVD to BD

Still nothing like going from VHS to DVD, you remember that Jason? It was like having a cinema in my own house the first time i put on a DVD, and that was on a regular CRT tv.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Blu ray didn't last long, did it?

Our new age died a quick death :(

It actually lasted longer than DVD.

DVDs came out in 1998.

BDs in 2006. [8 years later]

4k BDs in 2016. [10 years later]

So there!

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

DVDs came out in 1998.

So there!

Oooh, er :blink:

Not sure if it's a bargain, but...

I've got something to say...

"HIGHLANDER" gets a 4K makeover for Blu on 18th July!

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

DVDs came out in 1998.

So there!

It's not like they ceased production of DVDs immediately after eight years. They're still around 18 years after they initiated.

Most people don't care about the difference between 480p and 1080p.  In the circles we run in, there's probably more BD owners than not, but in the general world populace, the general public simply doesn't care.

Mostly women!

You know what the problem is with women?

They are everywhere! 

I mean our mums and sisters are fine, but the rest of them? What are they for but turning our heads, making us wanting them and do crazy things!

At least JWfan has none

Women are all over the world, but not here.

I think the major reason is that people simply don't own good TVs and just stick with whatever factory setting is in place right out of the box. Smaller sizes and poor picture quality make the difference between DVD and Blu inconsequential for most. 

$30 for a 4K Blu-ray? There's nothing in there I would even want. Most of my favorite movies such as the Tim Burton Batmans, Always, Casper and Godzilla (1998) are available for $5-10 on standard Blu-ray and look perfect on my Sony Trinitron WEGA.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

$30 for a 4K Blu-ray? There's nothing in there I would even want. Most of my favorite movies such as the Tim Burton Batmans, Always, Casper and Godzilla (1998) are available for $5-10 on standard Blu-ray and look perfect on my Sony Trinitron WEGA.

I'd say Godzilla will be available soon since Sony already released a 4K restoration on BD, which looks great on my Panny VT60.

I'll never watch that ID4K one again. Looks worse than hell.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I saw that. Supposedly the picture gets an upgrade.