Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Just listening to these....

It sounds like the suspense music from The Barrels Out of Bond from DoS. Strange.

This motif is in "Thief in the Night", I think it's a new burglar motif!!

Damn....there are a LOT of recurring motifs and bits.

As usual Shore proves that things are more connected than he had us believe...

Anyone us feel the percussion is a bit dry by the way? There's lots of it, but doesn't sound as organic as LOTR, or even AUJ.

- Im not sure whether the sound of it (in terms of wetness) is similar to LOTR, but I'm not really get that wonderful archaic sound

Yeah, this is surprisingly lacking.

By the way, Ironfoot sounds epic!

I'll likely give in and listen to some of the soundclips some day... But, with DoS, I thought I'd hate the score from the early clips - and then I liked it much more than AUJ. So I don't think it'll be indicative of the score as a whole for me, maybe just whet my appetite.

Damn....there are a LOT of recurring motifs and bits.

As usual Shore proves that things are more connected than he had us believe...

Anyone us feel the percussion is a bit dry by the way? There's lots of it, but doesn't sound as organic as LOTR, or even AUJ.

- Im not sure whether the sound of it (in terms of wetness) is similar to LOTR, but I'm not really get that wonderful archaic sound

Yeah, this is surprisingly lacking.

By the way, Ironfoot sounds epic!

I'm sure some audiophile with an appropriate software will take care of that at some point.

I'm loving the screeching for the bats in "Battle for the Mountain", and then the brutal Goblintown style music in the "Darkest Hour". Oh and the choral cluster in "The Fallen" is lovely.

And I love the reprise in Ravenhill, especially with the woodwinds on top

An Ancient Enemy!

Nice to hear the Descending Thirds closer to how it sounds in FOTR

Which cue?

Thorin's theme with full Khuzdul!

I'm loving the screeching for the bats in "Battle for the Mountain", and then the brutal Goblintown style music in the "Darkest Hour". Oh and the choral cluster in "The Fallen" is lovely.

And I love the reprise in Ravenhill, especially with the woodwinds on top

An Ancient Enemy!

Nice to hear the Descending Thirds closer to how it sounds in FOTR

Which cue?

Battle for the Mountain, instead of stopping at the fourth note, it plays 6 (?) notes, which is closer to the 8 (?) notes used in FOTR.

Feast of Starlight in Shores of the long lake, could there be a Tauriel Kili scene? or perhaps the rumored healing of the young girl?

We know there's a Tauriel Kili scene! It's in the trailer!

Any hint of themes from AUJ that weren't in DoS much or at all? Misty Mountains, Bilbo's themes, Gandalf's, Radagasts, etc?

Unfortunately no, not yet.

Any hint of themes from AUJ that weren't in DoS much or at all? Misty Mountains, Bilbo's themes, Gandalf's, Radagasts, etc?

Only An Ancient Enemy.

No Misty Mountains,

I'm afraid AUJ will remain an enigma. A mystery, wrapped in a riddle.

It sounds more like Under Hill. Bringing back that primitive badassness. That might end up being one of my favourite cues!

Wow, a lot has happened since I went to sleep and when I woke up!

OK, here we go! My thoughts on the 30 second Amazon UK samples

01 Fire And Water
Dragon Sickness chords playing the whole time! Cool new variant of Smaug's Theme towards the end
02 Shores Of The Long Lake
Seems like it's building up to the Tauriel/Kili love theme, a lot of this is similar to Feast of Starlight
03 Beyond Sorrow And Grief (Extended Version)
Not much to say, more building up, Smuag-ish strings towards the end
04 Guardians Of The Three (Extended Version)
choral Lothorien opens the sample, then we hear what almost sounds like that new variant of Sauron's Theme before it ends with the Necromancer's Theme
05 The Ruins Of Dale
Erebor Theme is a cool march-like variant!
06 The Gathering Of The Clouds (Extended Version)
The Woodland Realm theme is a cool march-like variant! Towards the end we hear what I used to call Thranduil's Theme when I first heard DOS before people on this board pointed out it's like that Thorin's Pride / Bilbo's Burglar whatever it is theme.
07 Mithril
Dragon Sickness again, with Smaug's B Theme coming in in a really cool ethereal way towards the end
08 Bred For War
The Woodland Realm in a cool new eerie variant. At the end the sample is just about to go into what sounds like some cool Descending Thirds stuff
09 A Thief In The Night
What the!? The incidental music from Barrels Out Of Bond returns... so I guess Shore has turned this in a new Burglar theme for Bilbo? Even though he already had a different one in AUJ? Weird!
10 The Clouds Burst
More Dragon Sickness (quite a prevalent theme in the score it seems!)
11 Battle For The Mountain
Battle music! Descending Thirds gets a little extension or something
12 The Darkest Hour
Yikes, themes certainly don't seem to be going well!
13 Sons Of Durin
WOW! Thorin's Theme in battle mode backed by male choir! Kind of like the An Ancient Enemy choir from AUJ, except not as evil
14 The Fallen
Sad version of Thorin's Theme :(
15 Ravenhill
WOW! An Ancient Enemy from AUJ reprise!!
16 To The Death (Extended Version)
Sounds like Legolas Vs Bolg music
17 Courage And Wisdom
Nice
18 The Return Journey
Nice
19 There And Back Again
What the!? That new Burglar motif from Barrels Out Of Bond / A Thief In The Night returns end. I cannot possibly imagine what that is doing here....
20 The Last Goodbye
First impression: Reminds me of Into The West from ROTK. Second impression: A bit of The Beatle's Yesterdays as well. I'm liking it more with each listen.
Lyrics in the sample:
"The Last Goodbye
Night is now falling
So is this day
The road is now calling
And I must away
Over hill, and under tree"
21 Ironfoot (Extended Version)
WOW! Well I guess Shore wrote a new theme for Dain instead of using the one from AUJ, which is unfortunate I guess, but what can you do. No idea if this is a 6 minute suite of just dwarven material or a full end credits suite, but damn I really can't wait to hear it all! This is really cool with the Uillean Pipes!
22 Dragon-Sickness (Bonus Track)
No idea why Doug tweeted that this is from DOS, cause it sounds all brand new to me! I hear Smaug's Theme, Erebor Theme, The Arkenstone Theme.... sounds like this could be one really great concert arrangement track that people who only buy the Standard OST will really miss out on!
23 Thrain (Bonus Track / From "The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug" Extended Edition)

Definitely the cue from the last score that didn't make the OST for the Gandalf/Thrain chase, hopefully it includes the choral "healing" music too!

So let's see:

Returning themes from LOTR, AUJ or DOS that I hear in the Amazon UK samples:
Descending Thirds
Sauron (maybe)
Lothlorien
Erebor
Thorin
The Arkenstone
The Woodland Realm
Smaug
That Thorin's Pride / Thranduil Theme thing
Dragon Sickness

Major LOTR themes that haven't appeared yet in TBOTFA samples:
The Shire
Rivendell
Isengard
The History Of The Ring
Gollum (not sure if he's in the movie or not)
Nature's Reclamation

Major AUJ themes that haven't appeared yet in TBOTFA samples:
Any of Bilbo's Themes (Baggins/Took, Adventure, Fussy, Odd Behavior, Burglar)
Gandalf The Grey
The Company (Shore's or Plan 9's)
Azog
Radagast
Warg Riders
Goblins (They are part of the battle in the book, dunno if PJ changed that)

Major DOS themes that haven't appeared yet in TBOTFA samples:
House of Durin

Beorn
The Nine
Tauriel
Tauriel/Kili
Bard
Lake-town
The Politicians of Lake-town
Bard's Family
Girion

New themes
Dain?

That's Thorin's theme in Sons of Durin. I didn't spot House of Durin anywhere, though I'm sure it will be in the full score.

Imagine if Sons of Durin also includes the House of Durin with Khuzdul chorus. I'd just about explode.

Samples for the SE OST are up on both Amazon UK AND Amazon Germany now. Anyone want to verify all 23 samples are identical on both sites?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PBEN6P6
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00PBEES2Q

I surprisingly haven't found samples for the Standard OST up anywhere yet

That's Thorin's theme in Sons of Durin. I didn't spot House of Durin anywhere, though I'm sure it will be in the full score.

Woops, fixed!

Samples for the SE OST are up on both Amazon UK AND Amazon Germany now. Anyone want to verify all 23 samples are identical on both sites?

Yes. atleast some.

Seems the digital version will be released November 28th.

Coolio!

Samples are up on Amazon Italy and Amazon Spain too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PBEN6P6

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00PBEES2Q

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00PBC9TAY

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00PBB6GVU

I don't have time to check if they are identical on all 4 sites.