BloodBoal

BOTFA for the song.

And DOS for the suite, if only because that opening melody is the most beautiful thing Shore has written for this trilogy...and it's a crime to not have employed it in BOTFA. Shame on you Howard!!

Both suites come quite close though.

Song -

1. The Last Goodbye - Billy Boyd (The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies)

2. Song of the Lonely Mountain - Neil Finn (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)

3. I See Fire - Ed Sheeran (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

I could have named I See Fire over Song of the Lonely Mountain since I like them about equally as much, but Song wins when it comes to context for me though as songs outside the context I like them about as much.

End Credits Suite -

1. Beyond the Forest - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

2. Ironfoot - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

3. Dreaming of Bag-End - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I'm not at all a fan of any of the end credits songs for this trilogy, but "I See Fire" offends my sensibilities less than the other two songs do. Still too angsty for my tastes though.

As for the end credits suites, I adore all three, but my favorite is Beyond the Forest.

The Last Goodbye: Feels the best fit for Middle Earth of the three.

Beyond the Forest: This is the most coherent suite presenting the whole Woodland Realm thematic family in one evocative piece with clear dramatic outline all of its own. Haunting.

The Last Goodbye: Feels the best fit for Middle Earth of the three.

I thought you said it quickly started to annoy you!

And about Beyond The Forest being the most coherent suite: I think that's why most people voted for this one over Ironfoot. Ironfoot is a nice track, but it feels like about 3-4 short bits stitched together: it lacks bridge material to connect them all. Also, the fact that it goes from Dwarvish material to Laketown material doesn't help. I think the suite would have benefited from being only focused on Dwarvish material. As it is, Beyond The Forest has a much better flow and as a result, feels more satisfying.

By the way, wanted to ask: what is the theme from 02:15 to 03:01 in Ironfoot? That's not part of Bard's new theme, is it? That sounds Dwarvish.

The Last Goodbye is still the least annoying of the three! ;)

I don't particularly like the Paul Simon feel of parts of it.

And that section of Ironfoot is definitely some new dwarven material. It does not appear in the score itself though as far as I can remember. Nothing to do with Bard I think. The themes in the suite are Daín, the new victorious dwarven choral idea, Bard the Leader, new Shire theme version (used in An Unexpected Party in AUJ in a playful guise), the martial Lake-Town theme with the heroic new ending (perhaps to do with Bard) and the Lake-Town theme lament variation. Ironfoot is perhaps a bit more traditional end credit suite in that it presents most of the new themes of the score but the connecting passages are scant as you say.

And that section of Ironfoot is definitely some new dwarven material. It does not appear in the score itself though as far as I can remember. Nothing to do with Bard I think.

Well, the only reason I said "That's not part of Bard's new theme, is it?" is because Bard's new theme comes right after that, but yeah, I agree, I doubt it has anything to do with that theme.

I really would have loved Ironfoot to be a Dwarven material suite, with Dain's theme, Thorin's theme, the House Of Durin theme and the Erebor theme. That would have been ace!

Agreed similarly as Beyond the Forest was focused purely on elven material.

I really would have loved Ironfoot to be a Dwarven material suite, with Dain's theme, Thorin's theme, the House Of Durin theme and the Erebor theme. That would have been ace!

OMG yes, that would have been really really great!

Listening to The Last Goodbye again. It's really pretty decent. But it's trying far too hard to make us feel sentimental. And that last line is just cloying.

Ed Sheeran it is then. Though none of these songs have anything on the LOTR ones.

Listening to The Last Goodbye again. It's really pretty decent. But it's trying far too hard to make us feel sentimental. And that last line is just cloying.

Ed Sheeran it is then. Though none of these songs have anything on the LOTR ones.

Yes. Still I prefer the Last Goodbye despite its somewhat cloying attempts at raise nostalgia to the other two.

Raise a glass of whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

:lol: Spot on!

Agreed on all points!

Is it Khuzdul we hear in Ironfoot? The material sounds so much like the Girion stuff.

And yeah, Beyond the Forest also really takes liberties with the Elven material, playing around with the themes like none of the other suites did. It's just a radically refreshing way to sum up the score. And it also helps that it covers my favourite thematic material of the score.

Is it Khuzdul we hear in Ironfoot? The material sounds so much like the Girion stuff.

And yeah, Beyond the Forest also really takes liberties with the Elven material, playing around with the themes like none of the other suites did. It's just a radically refreshing way to sum up the score. And it also helps that it covers my favourite thematic material of the score.

Hmmm the male chorus sort of suggests dwarves but now that you mention the Girion/Bard theme it does bear some resemblance to it at the beginning but then the piece goes to another direction.

Could this be that the line of Girion has a Dwarvish streak in it? This could explain the stubbornness of Bard!

Well Girion has a big nose and prominent beard. The clues were always there.

No.

Not sure where they could place him in an EE either. The Girion connection seems like other meaningless filler that goes no where....

I think Girion's little meaningful piece of Bard backstory has been told in full. Building the dwarven windlance thingie into something of importance in DoS comes to nothing in BotFA though, which is only a good thing in my opinion.

No.

Not sure where they could place him in an EE either. The Girion connection seems like other meaningless filler that goes no where....

Of course it does! It makes a nice parallel with Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir!

Bard, just like Aragorn, is filled with doubt, because his ancestor failed at his task and he wonders if he'll fail too when facing it!

Yes seeing how Aragorn's father was killed by trolls and wolves would have been a super meaningful bit of backstory for his brooding persona.

Those flashbacks are already there, we just got Isildur instead of Arathorn.

Hey he was meaningful to the story. I know Arathorn had to sire Aragorn but Isildur was the originator of the whole family!

But we would get Arathorn too!!

I silent worked because it was in the prologue, and he was an essential component.

All the Girion stuff is pretty pointless. They should just have mentioned him by name, instead of showing a flashback.

But we would get Arathorn too!!

I silent worked because it was in the prologue, and he was an essential component.

All the Girion stuff is pretty pointless. They should just have mentioned him by name, instead of showing a flashback.

I silent? Ancestor of Elendil the Tall?

I'm probably more forgiving of these films then most. But even I am not convinced of the need for a third film.

While LOTR, even in it's epic EE form still felt like a huge truncation of the original story, The Hobbit feels like the exact opposite. You know. Thin, sort of stretched...like...well you know.

The added bit in the AUJ EE prologue felt completely random. Like a last minute (well, even last second) addition, just to have more additional footage to offer on the Blu-Ray.

And isn't that just the same stuff reused in DoS anyway?

I'm probably more forgiving of these films then most. But even I am not convinced of the need for a third film.

While LOTR, even in it's epic EE form still felt like a huge truncation of the original story, The Hobbit feels like the exact opposite. You know. Thin, sort of stretched...like...well you know.

Exactly. Too many minutes! I still think a film focused squarely on the actual narrative of the book would have been the best choice.