Alan Silvestri Synth Sound

Sharkissimo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say for certain what was used, but I know just about every synth sound in the score can be duplicated pretty closely on the Roland JP-8000 because that was pretty much all I did for that whole year.

And if you know that synth then you know I was an idiot and that was a loooong year....

I'd guess the sound has two components . One provides the pitched note...the other is the harmonic band pass effect...probably pre-filtered white noise. Sounds like comb filtering on top.

at 4;23 you can hear what one of the components sounds like....add the bass and your away i'd say

t

Lol. I know the JD-8000. Horner used it on TITANIC. As far as virtual analogues go, it's pretty good.

Didn't know that's what Horner used - how do you know? It's not a bad machine, but definitely not suited to the stuff Silvestri was doing there. I had gotten it as a gift and it happened to coincide with when the film was in theaters. I was too dazzled to see that the ol' reliable DX7 would have been much better.

I'd guess the sound has two components . One provides the pitched note...the other is the harmonic band pass effect...probably pre-filtered white noise. Sounds like comb filtering on top.

at 4;23 you can hear what one of the components sounds like....add the bass and your away i'd say

t

So the toe elements are:

• Gated bass (saw, pulse or square - just one osc?) - through a 2 pole resonant low pass filter

• Gated noise through band pass and/or comb filter

I know diddly squat about synthesizers but I adore the electronics he used on The Abyss. But maybe it's because they're mixed with orchestra in such inventive ways, because I'm not too much of a fan of his electronic only scores.