Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yeah it feels like that Nolan box WB put out not too long enough. More or less a slipcase for everything that's already available.

Depending on price, I'll get it for the 3 films I don't own, but they're all really inexpensive separately anyway.

I recently picked up Jackie Brown for like $5 new at Amazon

That's the spirit! Movie is good too. Tarantino at his most mature. I have it too but I didn't check the quality yet.

Alex

I recently picked up Jackie Brown for like $5 new at Amazon

That's the spirit! Movie is good too. Tarantino at his most mature. I have it too but I didn't check the quality yet.

Alex

Oh I've seen the movie before; I owned the DVD. I don't buy movies I've never seen before.

Buy it from one Walmart, watch it, scratch it, then return it to that Walmart saying it was unwatchable, and exchange it for the same movie, which you then return to another store for credit.

:eek:

Download it from a country where downloading isn't illegal.

A pain in the arse, actually. The library option is much more confortable, but many don't have access to that or the libraries in questions are missing the random titles you want to see.

You should take a leap Jason, you might get lucky.

? I watch movies I've never seen before ALL THE TIME - at my peak I was seeing over 300 movies a year. I just don't BUY them - I see them in the theater, or netflix them, or DVR them from cable, or RedBox them, or borrow from friends, or download them, or stream them, or whatever. I only BUY physical discs of movies I LOVE, and plan to watch over and over again for the rest of my life.

True. How else can one discover and explore (legally, that is)?

All of the options mentioned above???

I don't understand, so you see movies you never saw before in the theater but you wouldn't buy a movie that you haven't seen before? Where is the logic in that?! These days you can buy movies on DVDs for 1 Dollar or 1 Euro. That's a lot cheaper that going to the theater. I bought Watchmen on blu-ray and this while I never saw the movie before. What a discovery is was! ;) I never heard Animals by Pink Floyd and yet I bought the LP at the time. Didn't regret it at all. Waiting for friends to advise you? That's would so not work for me. I'm too much of an explorer myself for that.

I don't understand, so you see movies you never saw before in the theater but you wouldn't buy a movie that you haven't seen before? Where is the logic in that?! These days you can buy movies on DVDs for 1 Dollar or 1 Euro. That's a lot cheaper that going to the theater. I bought Watchmen on blu-ray and this while I never saw the movie before. What a discovery is was! ;)

I only see movies in the theater I am fairly certain I will like, or want to see regardless, or the GF wants to see. As a Netflix subcriber, most movies I see now that I previously hadn't are from Blu Rays they mailed me to. Buying DVDs? I haven't bought a DVD since I got a blu ray player, and I only buy blu rays of movies I LOVE. I don't need all that clutter in our home. When I was younger I had amassed a DVD collection pushing 500 titles, now I am selling them off as I upgrade to blu or decide I don't need to own this particular movie at all. There's way too many movies I've never seen before to spend time watching ones I've already seen, for the most part.

I never heard Animals by Pink Floyd and yet I bought the LP at the time. Didn't regret it at all. Waiting for friends to advise you? That's would so not work for me. I'm too much of an explorer myself for that.

I never claimed I follow the same practices with music that I do with movies

Probably because we know that the act of seeing a movie in the theater (usually) inherently involves a movie that we haven't seen before. Granted, some older movies are re-released in 3D or IMAX formats, but most movie theater trips are about the experience of watching something new and unknown on the big screen. And you walk out of the theater without any physical souvenir beside the ticket stub.

But when you buy a movie that you haven't seen before, you're taking a gamble that you're going to want to keep it. If you don't, you have a disc that you now have to get rid of, and you probably want to get most if not all of your money back.

I don't understand, so you see movies you never saw before in the theater but you wouldn't buy a movie that you haven't seen before? Where is the logic in that?! These days you can buy movies on DVDs for 1 Dollar or 1 Euro. That's a lot cheaper that going to the theater. I bought Watchmen on blu-ray and this while I never saw the movie before. What a discovery is was! ;) I never heard Animals by Pink Floyd and yet I bought the LP at the time. Didn't regret it at all. Waiting for friends to advise you? That's would so not work for me. I'm too much of an explorer myself for that.

you can't buy movies for a dollar in the US other than direct to video films that no one has heard of or wants to watch.

As a rule most people can see films at the theatre for less than the cost of a new blu ray.

I don't understand, so you see movies you never saw before in the theater but you wouldn't buy a movie that you haven't seen before? Where is the logic in that?! These days you can buy movies on DVDs for 1 Dollar or 1 Euro.

Where do you get DVDs for 1 euro? And how much is the shipping cost?

I dunno. At this point in my life and don't care about having a "feeling of physical ownership", I don't need that. And I still wouldn't have much place to keep them, if I had as many DVDs as movies I see.

I rarely see new movies in the theater nowadays, I usually enjoy watching films at home more. But lately my friends and I have been going to the local theaters on Tuesdays when films are $6 instead of $10+, and I've kind of been enjoying seeing new releases again. I'll probably see Looper and The Master theatrically that way, where-as a few months ago I likely would have ended up seeing those for the first time on Blu

I love the theater experience for films I know I'm going to like. There's an spectacle side to it than I don't get at home.

I don't have a Bl-ray player and even if I did I don't have the screen or the audio set up to back it up.

I rarely see new movies in the theater nowadays, I usually enjoy watching films at home more. But lately my friends and I have been going to the local theaters on Tuesdays when films are $6 instead of $10+, and I've kind of been enjoying seeing new releases again. I'll probably see Looper and The Master theatrically that way, where-as a few months ago I likely would have ended up seeing those for the first time on Blu

Matinee's are 6 bucks here, evening shows are 8. Monday and Tuesday matinee's are 5 bucks. Monday and Tuesday are also bring your own bowl for free popcorn. It helps that my local theatre's popcorn is WONDERFUL. In Little Rock they are more, 8 for matinee and 10 for evening with the Imax 11 and 14 respectively.

There is a 2 dollar theatre for 2nd run films including 3D. Like you I think I'll see Looper and the Master in the theatre.

Where do you get DVDs for 1 euro? And how much is the shipping cost?

Blokker, Boekenvoordeel, second-hand market, ... No shipping costs.

Looks awful

I haven't seen the film but is it like the cover of Planet Of The Apes?

I only see movies in the theater I am fairly certain I will like, or want to see regardless, or the GF wants to see. As a Netflix subcriber, most movies I see now that I previously hadn't are from Blu Rays they mailed me to. Buying DVDs? I haven't bought a DVD since I got a blu ray player, and I only buy blu rays of movies I LOVE. I don't need all that clutter in our home. When I was younger I had amassed a DVD collection pushing 500 titles, now I am selling them off as I upgrade to blu or decide I don't need to own this particular movie at all. There's way too many movies I've never seen before to spend time watching ones I've already seen, for the most part.

We are different people. The blockbuster market is fine for those who mainly want to see the big movies (The Avengers, TDKR, The Hunger Games, etc.) but it's not for me. I watch and buy a lot of movies that aren't in the multiplexes. If I want to continue to explore and 'discover', I need to buy or go to a video store that offers a great diversity in movies, old and new. But like I said, I can often buy movies for the same price or cheaper than if I would rent them.

I can only stomach the quality of digital TV, Xbox, PS3 when you stream the HD versions, but the price for HD is still pretty expensive around here. I prefer to wait for the DVD when it's available for the same price. At some point, you can buy any movie for a buck or two.

We are different people. The blockbuster market is fine for those who mainly want to see the big movies (The Avengers, TDKR, The Hunger Games, etc.) but it's not for me. I watch and buy a lot of movies that aren't in the multiplexes. If I want to continue to explore and 'discover', I need to buy or go to a video store that offers a great diversity in movies, old and new. But like I said, I can often buy movies for the same price or cheaper than if I would rent them.

I can only stomach the quality of digital TV, Xbox, PS3 when you stream the HD versions, but the price for HD is still pretty expensive around here. I prefer to wait for the DVD when it's available for the same price. At some point, you can buy any movie for a buck or two.

Perhaps your world is very different.

Video stores are mostly a thing of the past here. and I've yet to see where you can buy any movie for a buck of two, 5 bucks maybe but not a buck or two. You can rent a dvd movie at a Redbox or a Blockbuster Box for a little over a buck and a blu for about 50cents more, the choices and selections however lean towards recent and popular films. Blu rays are just now entering the bargain bins.

One thing you've made clear is you really don't enjoy going to the theatre at all. Maybe you have issues with crowds of people, I can't believe it's because people are impossibly rude, no establishment would allow that if they want to stay in business.

Personally I prefer to see any movie at the theatre. I'd enjoy seeing a blockbuster or a film like that Master with a crowd. It's just a better viewing experience. I have a nice set up at home and enjoy it immensely but it's not larger than life.

In all the used CD/DVD shops in my area, they do have clearance racks of movies (and albums) that start at $1, but these are probably the ones that nobody wants to own that they're trying to get rid of, or they're really scratched and might be unplayable. These are the exceptions to finding rare movies worth watching, not the norm.

whats funny is at the flea markets they still have tons of used video tapes for sale. the used blus, what few they had were movies nobody would watch or even heard of and yet they were 10 bucks.

Alex, does your local library offer blus that you can check out. In my small rural library I was shocked to discover that they actually had a nice selection to choose from, they are free to borrow for 2 weeks.

You can rent a dvd movie at a Redbox or a Blockbuster Box for a little over a buck and a blu for about 50cents more, the choices and selections however lean towards recent and popular films. Blu rays are just now entering the bargain bins.

Rental stores are a thing of the past here too. There's one very large one in my neighborhood though. Rental price for standard DVD is 3.50 euro. You can't rent Blu-ray around here. There aren't as many Blu-ray titles available here either.

My point is, exploring and discovering is much cheaper and vaster at the DVD market than in the theater. Of course, if you only want the new films, then a theater is the only way to go.

The reason why I don't go to the theater these days is because there are not that many movies playing that interest me. The theater of 21st century is geared towards blockbusters and blockbuster crowds. And even if thery are playing a movie that I want to see like PTA's The Master, I'm not going to risk seeing it in a theater because the room will be filled with a potato chips/nachos/candy eating blockbuster crowd who are wondering when the explosions and SFX are going to appear. So yes, I gonna wait for that one when it's released on Blu-ray. It won't be a buck or two but for some movies I make an exception and buy them when they are just released. That usually happens only once or twice a year.

I do buy a lot of new series on DVD or Blu-ray, again, without ever having seen them. Blind purchases were Mad Men, Rome, Breaking Bad, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, Dexter, The Tudors, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Big Love ... and I don't regret any one of them, far from it!

Alex

I never purchased Star Trek/s. I was given Deep Space Nine as a gift. David has TOS and TNG.

However in the last month we had a major upgrade on our cable/internet system that the cable company has been promising for a year. Since I bought the new blu ray player we went ahead and signed up for the free netflix trial offer. We don't want the movies, we went with the streaming now that it won't freeze and stall.

We've pretty much watched all of TOS, and Voyager. The Original series has all the new effects intergrated. It looks stunning.

I must say the streaming content doesn't appeal to Jason and Wojo but I've found it to be wonderful for sports, old scifi/horror films, and some great old tv.

well it cost me 68$ cdn, so 17$ per film

Usually you get a deal in the first days of release, then there's a price hike for a while and you have to wait 2 years for real deals

Star Wars set still costs more than what I paid for it on day 1 release

Anyways this probably my last movie purchase in a long time

That's the brick-and-mortar pricing model. "Sale price" for the first week, SRP after that until a random sale date or the price simply decreases.

Online retailers tend to be more lenient in price decreases, but still follow that age-old pricing model. Right now it's $65 for the set, with is about $21.50 per film. I'd pay $40 for it. I'd pay $60 for Star Wars, and $40 for Lord Of The Rings.

There are certain movies where the price should never be an issue. We're talking about the Indy trilogy here. $70 or whatever isn't unreasonable. Those discs will probably get more plays than most.

well it cost me 68$ cdn, so 17$ per film

Usually you get a deal in the first days of release, then there's a price hike for a while and you have to wait 2 years for real deals

Star Wars set still costs more than what I paid for it on day 1 release

Anyways this probably my last movie purchase in a long time

this is the next planned purchase 55783_large.jpg

ain't it a beauty.

I'm not a huge fan of the BttF trilogy but I actually find #3 to be my personal favorite.