Upcoming Films

Quintus

Let's compromise - instead of a nuke, certain people falling below an agreed-upon standard of intelligence and general worth to the universe, both in the US and elsewhere, will be rounded up and shot into the sun. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

We thought that Rey hit all the right notes as far as being a role model for little girls goes, physically, personality... don't know what those whiners are on about.

Not a parent or female so it's not really my place, but yeah Daisy seems like the wrong target for this sort of thing. I feel like this body image type stuff has more to do with sex symbols and media that is clearly trying to present a standard for beauty or sex appeal, whether it's a Victoria's Secret ad or the "hot girlfriend" role in a movie or whatever. That's where it gets dangerous, I think, when that stuff is all focused on a specific type and girls start to get a message that they need to look one particular way or else boys won't like them. Which really has nothing to do with Rey or what she's supposed to be representing for girls in Force Awakens.

Does that leave very many left? ;)

We keep hearing how most of you want to move up to Kanadia now anyway. We can't afford a wall, but keep the loons out please!

2 hours ago, KK. said:

There was a huge thing about parents claiming that Daisy presents a bad role model for little girls by being a skinny heroine in a SW film...because "real women" apparently have "curves".

Give me "fake women" any day then

There's not exactly a healthy attitude toward male superheros either with every single one of them being a muscled up hunk.  The one dude who isn't, Banner, turns into the fucking Hulk.

3 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Working hard to stay healthy is wrong because it makes unhealthy people feel bad.

Unhealthy people should feel bad. We're going to die earlier than the healthy people. Maybe. 

52 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

There's not exactly a healthy attitude toward male superheros either with every single one of them being a muscled up hunk.  The one dude who isn't, Banner, turns into the fucking Hulk.

Stark isn't exactly muscled up, is he?  I wouldn't really say Hawkeye is either... it's really just Thor/Cap.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Stark isn't exactly muscled up, is he?  I wouldn't really say Hawkeye is either... it's really just Thor/Cap.

Stark and Banner being regular shaped guys is part of their reason for being superheroes. Stark needs the suit because he couldn't fight his way out of a terrorist cave without one. And Banner's involuntary Jekyll & Hyde switch makes him a "tragic figure", but he could never do any of that Hulk stuff as just Banner.

It's part of why I find Stark and Banner's lab scenes together so appealing. They're really just two nerds who happen to be superheroes.

And then there's Steve Rogers' backstory, you're really only left with Thor if you're really pedantic.

It seems obvious that there's more artistry involved than in the usual garish stuff that a Google search for "space art" would turn up.  There's actual texture.  They look nothing like the flat composite thing that Alex posted.  But then, he didn't see the generic quality of the designs in GOTG either!

Sure, there are different levels of execution, but if it doesn't remind you of the concept of space art then there's no hope for you, TGP.

10 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Working hard to stay healthy is wrong because it makes unhealthy people feel bad.

The thing is, you can't have the role model. If what they want is that then you need lots of characters who do different things and have varied personalities and appearances. But you can't shoehorn all of that into a single character who happens to be a magical warrior in training.

11 minutes ago, Brónach said:

The thing is, you can't have the role model. If what they want is that then you need lots of characters who do different things and have varied personalities and appearances. But you can't shoehorn all of that into a single character who happens to be a magical warrior in training.

(I was being facetious.  I agree with you wholeheartedly)

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Dude!

Lol missed it. But apparently the photos were quickly removed anyway so it was worth posting again!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Cremeritis is back!

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I'm very interested in this Malick project.  Probably my first serious interest in one of his films since Tree of Life.

Well that's only 2 films ago, with Knight Of Cups pending a wide release in the US. 

On 3/11/2016 at 11:43 AM, Koray Savas said:

Well that's only 2 films ago, with Knight Of Cups pending a wide release in the US. 

I mean in terms of anticipating a project, in which case it's 3. :P