Into the Woods trailer music?

King Mark

Hmm, it's the first time I notice non Williams music in a trailer in a long time (the second half of the trailer ). Is it tracked or a cue of the final score? Who is scoring this?(credits are a bit vague) Could be a promising score

Yes. Not sure who did the arrangements for the trailer, but it's Stephen Sondheim's music. He's involved with the film so he may write new underscore, but like Sweeney Todd, the bulk of it will probably be from the musical.

I believe the second half of the trailer music is adapted from "Stay With Me" (starting at 57 seconds):

And then the first half sounds like "On the Steps of the Palace":

Yep, that's a sort of instrumental arrangement of the Stay with me in the second half of the trailer.

I adore this musical. Not sure what to expect from the movie, though

It's based on Rapunzel's solo vocal bit from the show, which later becomes basis for the song "Stay With Me" (though it's obviously been updated for this).

I'm not sold on this project, at least not from the trailer. This is my favorite modern-day musical, a wonderful show full of humor and poignant moments throughout. This looks dark and heavy, too much like the new fantasy movement that's already getting old (stuff like the current stock of fairy tale TV shows). When I first heard Disney was doing this, I figured they of all people would know how to put a great musical on the screen. Now I have serious doubts.

If you've never seen the original Broadway version of this show, you're missing a treat. It's available these days on DVD. You should definitely check it out. Here's one of the best songs from the show, when the two princes—Cinderella's and Rapunzel's—lament how difficult it is to pursue maidens through the woods. (You'll hear Rapunzel's Prince singing the solo vocal line I mentioned above, that's featured in the teaser.)

Hard to see how Chris Pine's going to live up to the incomparable Robert Westenberg—who also plays the Wolf in the show. Actually . . . I'm not sure even Depp can upstage him in that role.

• 2 weeks later...

30-second previews on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/into-woods-original-motion/id937773552

Doesn't seem like there'll be any standout vocal performances, unfortunately (and somewhat expectedly) but there are no Russell Crowes from what I can tell. I think Emily Blunt comes across best from the samples. The most exciting thing to me is the deluxe edition includes Sondheim's underscore! Sounds fantastic.

I hope it's nothing like the awful Les Miserables release...the way they handled the underscore was a bloody travesty!

They basically just ripped the audio from the film and pasted it onto the album. So for the battle music, you were hearing the entire battle, with dialogue and sound effects galore.

For instance:

I get it that the album was mostly for the songs, but if you're going to include some underscore, you could at least provide it clean. -_-

I'm glad Burton made Sweeney Todd, a perfect movie for Sondheim's music, IMO. I fear the songs and the visuals of Into The Woods will all get a shiny Disney treatment, with voices you can't distinguish from a million other productions.

Here you go KM, a trailer featuring singing

Hmm . . . still not convinced. Anna Kendrick as Cinderella, I can see. And I'm a big enough fan of James Corden (especially after his turn in The Wrong Mans) that I can make allowances for him playing the Baker. But Emily Blunt as the Baker's wife? Meryl Streep can perhaps stand toe-to-toe with Bernadette Peters, but Blunt can't begin to hold her own to the incomparable Joanna Gleason. She's too young—and so is Jack, for that matter.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think . . . turning this into a movie just doesn't make any sense. It had magic on Broadway because it was a stage production, carried by the performances and the voices and a good bit of clever storybook staging. Take the wolf, for instance. Robert Westenberg (who did double-duty as Cinderella's prince as well) wore a full wolf's costume, with a rather brilliant articulated jaw setup that made him look like a wolf. That set up the wonderful irony of a wolf walking and talking like a human (and Red Riding Hood acting as though this was nothing strange). Now, in a movie filled with CGI, they don't even attempt to make Depp look like a wolf. He just looks like a hairy guy. That saps the scene of its humor and its magic, and without that sort of magic this story has to come across as bizarre, almost insensate, like someone tripping on a combination of acid and the Brothers Grimm.

I dunno. I could be playing the pessimist to no good end here. It's possible I'll love the movie. But man, it's hard to believe that right now. . . .

Some mixed reactions on Twitter...

The Hollywood Reporter

Gregg Kilday ‏@gkilday 47m47 minutes ago
#IntoTheWoods has made the transition to screen intact and full of life. A real pleasure, both clever and heartfelt.

ThePlaylist ‏@ThePlaylist

Into The Woods overstays welcome & bleeds its many charms. Streep kinda grand, but 3rd act drag undoes what was slight, but enjoyable film.

David Ketchum ‏@KetchumAtMovies
The real standout of the fabulous Into the Woods was actually Chris Pine. #SHOCKED #WhoWouldHaveThought

gregoryellwood @HitFixGregory
Meryl Streep and Chris Pine are the standouts in Into the Woods. Streep is fantastic.

gregoryellwood @HitFixGregory
Chris Pine has to be purposely channeling William Shatner as the Prince in Into the Woods. It Works!

Clayton Davis ‏@AwardsCircuit 1m1 minute ago

#IntotheWoods is good not great. Pine is my favorite part. Streep's best since Devil Wears Prada. Gorgeous sets and costumes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, they release a 2 c.d., 5 hours long OST BUT the orchestral music in the trailer is not on it

You're gonna have to explain me how they manage to fit 5 hours of music on 2 CDs.

It fits into the space between spaces.