Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

I don't think you understand.  I saw the film, in theaters, in 2013, I just hadn't opened up and watched my Silent Space Edition blu ray until last weekend

Sorry, read your post too quickly; missed that part. Is there anything special about that "Space" edition that sets it apart from the regular BR? (I mean, except for the sound mix).

I guess it has more special features or whatever, but I bought it for the Silent Space Edition audio mix

If you scroll up on the page you can see links to reviews of the set, a youtube video showing off the packaging, another showing one of the new special features, etc.

On 7/28/2016 at 9:29 PM, nightscape94 said:

Coincidentally I was looking for this on Amazon last week and couldn't find it.  Didn't realize it was OOP.  All the same, thanks for the link.

It probably went oop because nobody wanted it , so few copies were produced.

It boggles my mind that yet another critically acclaimed, exciting and innovative score is derided by JWfanners.

Guess I should be used to it by now😒

Can't imagine watching the climax without music.

Like watching the climax of SW without " Final Battle"

On 5/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, Thor said:

Best film of 2013!

I agree, Gravity was the best film of 2013...in 2013.

That is to say, in 3D, the big screen, the film is an overwhelming experience. One of the best pure cinematic experiences I've ever had I think. At home, it's still a great film, but loses a lot of its immersive power (much like Avatar).

@Jayis quite correct though, the Silent Space edition is the way to go (not that there’s anything wrong with the score), and goes at least part of the way restoring some of the film's weightlessness on the small screen.

Definitely of the best cinematic experiences I ever had, was seeing this in IMAX in 2013.  

I really enjoyed revisiting the film again a couple weeks ago at home, too.  But I'd definitely go to a 10th anniversary showing in 2023 :)

40 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I agree, Gravity was the best film of 2013...in 2013.

That is to say, in 3D, the big screen, the film is an overwhelming experience. One of the best pure cinematic experiences I've ever had I think. At home, it's still a great film, but loses a lot of its immersive power (much like Avatar).

It's ok in 2D, but I think it really needs 3D to fully function (one of the rare films where that applies). Home 3D does work, though - not as much as a big IMAX screen, of course, but it's definitely more immersive than without 3D glasses.

I've never seen the "silent" version (I'd like to), but then I don't dislike the score.

I agree that 3D is the way to see it - it reflects what this film is; a short and succinct visual experience.

I love the score, but can see why some would dislike it. I personally wouldn't extend that to watching the film without music - kind of feels like it's a bit of a 'there's no sound in space' gimmick for the BD in this case.

Having said that, I did find the closing cue rather unneeded when I first saw it - there are definitely moments in the score which are too much for what they portray - also including the 'fire' and 'parachute' sequences. But instead of removing the music for those sequences, I'd just try something lower key.

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I love the score, but can see why some would dislike it. I personally wouldn't extend that to watching the film without music - kind of feels like it's a bit of a 'there's no sound in space' gimmick for the BD in this case.

It was Cuaron’s original vision for the film. I think he even wanted it to be completely silent, but Del Toro convinced him to turn it into the blockbuster that it became. 

That post sounds famililar!

On 3/6/2015 at 11:46 PM, Koray Savas said:

Cuaron initially didn't, and that's probably why this version even exists. He conceived it as a silent film, and Guillermo Del Toro convinced him to make this huge blockbuster epic style thing.

I didn't watch them when I popped the disc in the other weekend, but now I'm kinda curious!

Wow. Another rare Blu-Ray to add to my growing list to track down. I'd love to watch the film that way. Personally, I thought Price's score received too much praise and felt wholly unnecessary in the film.

Thanks for resurrecting this Jay. The hunt begins.

52 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Wow. Another rare Blu-Ray to add to my growing list to track down. I'd love to watch the film that way. Personally, I thought Price's score received too much praise and felt wholly unnecessary in the film.

Thanks for resurrecting this Jay. The hunt begins.

And you're gonna love the special 2:3 aspect ratio, made to match the dimensions of the Monolith in 2001 as Cuaróns tribute to Kubrick. In case you didn't know, space is TALL!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The 4K edition was announced by WB in January, with no release date set, and it's almost June and they've provided no update since 

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gravity-4K-Blu-ray/284081/

Apparently it has been rumored to come out since 2017 according to the blu-ray.com forums. Was supposed to come out in Australia, but never materialized:

Since this hasn't been posted in this sub-forum I thought I would mention it. A couple of days ago it was reported by a member in the Australian sub-forum, that this is currently listed on Roadshow's release sheets, for the 6th of September. - Cevolution 02-03-2017

...this thread should be in the wish list. It never came out in Australia and there's no mention of it coming out in the US.

My guess is this gets a 10th anniversary edition in 2023 - Socko 03-10-2021

Looks like the current rumored date puts it in 4th Quarter of this year. There's also a rumored UK date of October 18, 2021. Who knows. Lol. Sounds like it's been on and off for the last 4 years.

• 11 months later...
17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

:lol:

Gaspar Noé Calls Watching ‘Gravity’ on Drugs ‘the Best Cinematic Experience of My Life’

“The whole room was spinning; it was like I was in a womb," the director said. "I was so happy.”

I agree with him. 

Is there a 4K release with the Silent Space audio track?  Cause that's the only way I'll ever watch the film again

The Silent Space edition audio track removes all the score except 2 short bits, yes.  I watched it (my review should be up above somewhere?) and LOVED it, its a superior version of the film.

And yes, I personally don't like Price's score at all, but even if the film had a score I enjoyed I probably would still prefer this audio track

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is there a 4K release with the Silent Space audio track?  Cause that's the only way I'll ever watch the film again

Does 4K support 3D/do they still make 3D releases? Because score or not, the only way to properly watch Gravity is in 3D. It's irrelevant for many films, it's a nice bonus for some, but it's essential for this one.

I first saw it in IMAX 3D and was blown away. I watched it at home in 2D and it was… nice. I watched it again in 3D and got a glimpse again of what it was like the first time. (It needs a big screen though)