What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Quick thoughts on it?

Some of the strangest television I've seen in a while, but that's what makes it so appealing! And it's clear now this has inspired so much of modern television and how shows are structured these days.

I don't want to get into too much detail until I've finished both seasons and have witnessed where it all ends up. But I am in binging mode right now, so that should give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying it.

Twin Peaks (Season 1)

Quick thoughts on it?

Phenenomenal! It just gets better with season 2, but I'm sure you know that, Lee, and, besides, you didn't ask my opinion! :lol:

You looking forward to the comeback Rich?

Quick thoughts on it?

Some of the strangest television I've seen in a while, but that's what makes it so appealing! And it's clear now this has inspired so much of modern television and how shows are structured these days.

I don't want to get into too much detail until I've finished both seasons and have witnessed where it all ends up. But I am in binging mode right now, so that should give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying it.

You liking the soundtrack?

But the superheroes are taking over TV! Won't be long before HBO produces some Marvel series!

With new series from David Lynch, Martin Scorsese and now David Fincher, the end of the mother lode isn't yet in sight!

Alex

Homeland 4x12 Long Time Coming

Well, that was terrible. Long, drawn out, boring ending to a mediocre season. At least up until this point the show would bring in some great action scenes to keep us on our toes. Did anything of real importance happen here? The Quint/Carrie romance is something I doubt any viewer wants, and it feels as forced as the Linden/Holder romance that ended Season 4 of The Killing.

What Homeland needed to do this season was give us a reason to come back next year, after the show took such a downfall from the heights it had in Season 1. Season 3 got close, and cleared the slate for the quasi-reboot nature of a Season 4. About halfway through this finale episode, it seemed like they might be setting up a big storyline for Season 5 (like Saul and Carrie will have to team up to take out bad guys who have deep connections to US Gov't from the inside or something). But instead we got... Carrie working on her mommy issues and Quint going off on a suicide mission? Bleh.

Will anyone be bothering with Season 5?

Sure.

Saturday Night Live 40x10 Amy Adams / One Direction

Not bad. Amy Adams is so talented she elevates anything. Maybe because this is the last episode before a month off the writer's let loose all their best ideas. Though Wiig and Armisen appearing in a few sketches certainly didn't hurt. I don't think Leslie Jones even appeared in one, which is a nice break from the over-use she's had in the last few weeks.

It would have been funnier if he had learned all his lines and not stumbled over the lines on the cue cards.

The idea was a good one, though! Moynihan's Kim Jong-un bit on Weekend Update was good too. In fact, it was probably the strongest Weekend Update of the season

I decided to binge on some Christmas specials before it was late.

Bob's Burgers- Bob Rest Ye Merry Gentle-Mannequins

Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special

Merry Christmas Mr. Bean

The Black Adder Christmas Special

Any suggestions for Christmas Specials? (Preferably from Netflix or Amazon Prime)

I don't normally open this thread for fear of spoilers, but I just finished my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica, which is still excellent, with a great and often inspired cast and at times brilliant music.

Now on to Twin Peaks (finally)!

Fear of spoilers?

I think everyone in this thread is pretty respectful. Do you have a specific occurrence that ruined something for you?

So Dr. Evil's hijacking of the broadcast did nothing for you?

it was cute for mere seconds.

I liked it. I don't think Mike Myers was expecting the response and it surprised him, so he was laughing and breaking character until he mostly got it under control. I give him a pass because he hasn't been seen in much since The Love Guru. So he had some fun and picked on just about everyone with the skit.

Those of us who watched The Legend of Korra, the mostly great, sometimes inconsistent, animated show, saw it come to an end this past Friday. The 4th and final season, following a terrific 3rd season, had its ups and downs. It didn't capture me in the same way that the 1st and 3rd did. It started off strong, and ended very strong, but floundered a bit in the middle. The villain didn't feel developed enough, especially after hearing some of her statements in the final episode. Still, when taken as a series, Korra wasn't just one of the best animated shows on TV, it was one of the best in general.

Sad to see it go, but if felt right to end it now. Each season had a relatively self-contained story thread, but the characters arcs flowed nicely throughout. They didn't let it get stale.

The final battle is well handled, choreographed and staged, and the last couple of minutes are quite beautiful, and extremely important for an American audience that includes children.

korra.jpg

Enjoy your ignorance.

I've only seen the first season of Korra so far, as I'm waiting for the rest of the show to become free for Prime, but the groundwork laid there is fantastic. Avatar is one of the best series I've ever seen, so I can't wait to dig through this one.

Enjoy your ignorance.

I've only seen the first season of Korra so far, as I'm waiting for the rest of the show to become free for Prime, but the groundwork laid there is fantastic. Avatar is one of the best series I've ever seen, so I can't wait to dig through this one.

I enjoyed Avatar very much. I too have only seen the first season of Korra and came out rather disappointed. I felt it lost the magic of the mythology and fun the original series had. The more modern contraptions, the less goal-oriented nature of the plot, I just didn't feel it. And so I never bothered checking the rest of the series out. I might change my mind, because as you say, Avatar is really great stuff.

Enjoy your ignorance.

I enjoyed Avatar very much. I too have only seen the first season of Korra and came out rather disappointed. I felt it lost the magic of the mythology and fun the original series had. The more modern contraptions, the less goal-oriented nature of the plot, I just didn't feel it. And so I never bothered checking the rest of the series out. I might change my mind, because as you say, Avatar is really great stuff.

I didn't like it at first, but the socioeconomic and political undertones really make it stand on its own from Avatar. I think it's good that it isn't just a retread.

Fear of spoilers?

I think everyone in this thread is pretty respectful. Do you have a specific occurrence that ruined something for you?

No, but I've never read this thread, so... ;)

I watched the very first episode of Star Trek, and the captain who was quickly replaced by Shatner, I thought he was quite good. A handsome, more serious fella. Of course, Shatner's Kirk is iconic but it could've worked with the first captain too.

Alex

Brooklyn 99 2x10 The Pontiac Bandit Returns

Funny stuff - I really enjoy Craig Robinson as the Pontiac Bandit, and his scenes with Jake in the hotel were very funny. And I liked that he got away again in the end. The relationship brewing between Gina's mother and Boyle's father - or rather, Boyle and Gina's reaction to it - is good comedy fodder as well. Amy and Holt had a good story too. This season of the show has been great!

I've been rewatching old episodes of The Simpsons. I've made my way to season five. Boy, this show was great once. Last episode I watched was Deep Space Homer and it's fantastic.

"You mean I shaved my bikini zone for nothing?!"

Downton Abbey 3x09 (2014 Christmas Special)

Very good stuff all around! Loved seeing two snooty butlers get their comeuppance. The new one was very funny. The Anna/Bates storyline may be just a bit too dragged out, but I guess it’s really the only place you can have this kind of criminal intrigue going on. Tom’s leaving for America and his goodbyes with the family was well handled, and Rose’s in-laws finally accepting her was well-done as well. The ending with Mr. Carson and Mrs Hughes was just adorably sweet.

The ulcer subplot seemed completely unnecessary unless it’s a setup for something else. No mention of Isis, did he die during the regular season and I forgot? He’s still in the opening credits. I like that Barrow’s meddling did more harm than good this time. I felt like the singing at the end was just there to sell more soundtrack CDs. When are Molesley and Miss Baxter going to get together?

Goosebumps: The Complete Series.

Wow, after almost two decades, I'd forgotten how much I loved this as a kid.

As an anthology series for kids, of course it's not as edgy as Tales from the Darkside or Tales from the Crypt, since the characters rarely face such dark trenches of mortal peril.

Some of my favourite episodes are the more surrealistic, cautionary tale episodes that were obviously very inspired by Rod Serling and Richard Matheson. RL Stine even ripped those guys off a few times.