The Force Awakens Score Details

Not Mr. Big

The musicians playing these scores are instructed not to talk about this kind of stuff with anyone. They risk losing their jobs by sharing this stuff. Which is more reason for me to not believe it.

Was Jim Self under contract when he gave us details on the War Horse score? The same for the other leaker who gave us an idea of how Tintin and War Horse sounded. Wasn't there also one for Lincoln too?

The musicians were comfortable enough to take pictures of the sessions too. In fact, that's probably more dangerous than them giving details of the score. At least with that they have anonymity.

It's not that far fetched that they would give away small details from the score.

• 1 month later...

That's what I think. Some are jumping to conclusions that this is just a lift of "TIE Fighter Attack"- I'm crossing my fingers for a wonderful arrangement with the Rebel Fanfare at the fore, like the Sail Barge Assault cue. One could call that "attack music from the OT" but it was by no means a direct lift. It was a sensational action cue using elements from previous material. I'm hoping for something like that to appear in TFA.

I feel the same way. It would be cool to hear a new rendition in the film, perhaps acting as counterpoint to new material (such as the fanfaric rendition of Anakin's theme in "Panaka and the Queen's Protectors" that features short fragments of the main theme)

The musicians playing these scores are instructed not to talk about this kind of stuff with anyone. They risk losing their jobs by sharing this stuff. Which is more reason for me to not believe it.

Was Jim Self under contract when he gave us details on the War Horse score? The same for the other leaker who gave us an idea of how Tintin and War Horse sounded. Wasn't there also one for Lincoln too?

The musicians were comfortable enough to take pictures of the sessions too. In fact, that's probably more dangerous than them giving details of the score. At least with that they have anonymity.

It's not that far fetched that they would give away small details from the score.

As far as I know, those were not multi billion dollar franchises bought by lawsuit happy Disney.

• 2 weeks later...

News!!!!!!

Andrew Bain has served as the principal horn for the L.A. Philharmonic for the past four years, and even he continues to do studio work. He is currently working on "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," which will be released in December and features a score by John Williams.

"It's one of the absolute highlights of my career," the horn player said, adding that the soundtrack is being recorded in L.A. over a number of weeks. "It's amazing how new and fresh John's music is, but it's also distinctively 'Star Wars.'"

So John Williams is still attached! Hooray!

It's obvious that any "new and fresh" sounding music in these sessions must have been written by Ross and orchestrated by Pope.

After the blatant self-plagiarism Williams did with Chamber of Secrets, I wouldn't trust him with such a high-profile sequel.

Star Wars music is distinctly Star Wars though. Apart from to those people who say it sounds like Superman, I mean.

Don't you mean Back To The Future? He wrote that score too, you know.

Honestly Williams would produce 120 minute albums if there was a format where those 120 minutes could fit on such a disc/format!

It's been pretty trendy lately to release 2-disc version of OSTs right out the gate for big Summer / Winter films. Maybe Disney will follow suit with their TFA OST.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get our first real glimpse at the score. D23 seems like a pretty good opportunity, but then again, so did Comic-Con.

I was almost positive we were going to get a little musical something-something at Comic-Con when they mentioned they would be showing a behind-the-scenes video but, alas, nothing. Hopefully we get something new in the third trailer.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get our first real glimpse at the score. D23 seems like a pretty good opportunity, but then again, so did Comic-Con.

I was almost positive we were going to get a little musical something-something at Comic-Con when they mentioned they would be showing a behind-the-scenes video but, alas, nothing. Hopefully we get something new in the third trailer.

The Comic-Con reel was actually for the shooting wrap up party (before any of the music was recorded) so if they're to show anything at D23 I'm willing to bet multiple dollars that it'll have some new score in it.

I can easily wait until the premier.

God I hope it's great music(I'm sure it'll be) just shut those few cynical mouth here!!!!!

The problem with the evaluations of a Star Wars score is that it can be an all or nothing affair. If it is not a masterpiece, many will be quite disappointed and judge it harshly. Obviously, that is a crazy standard.

I believe it will be a top-notch score that will reward both the casual fan and JWfan fanatic, but I am not expecting a masterpiece (like ANH and ESB).

I can easily wait until the premier.

God I hope it's great music(I'm sure it'll be) just shut those few cynical mouth here!!!!!

The problem with the evaluations of a Star Wars score is that it can be an all or nothing affair. If it is not a masterpiece, many will be quite disappointed and judge it harshly. Obviously, that is a crazy standard.

Yeah, I still can't believe that there were people who were disappointed with The Phantom Menace ('s score)

If Williams can write 3 absolute gems for 3 horrendously average prequels, I can't wait to hear what he writes for a (hopefully) great sequel.

His signature piece of this score should comfortably reach the same heights of DOTF, ATS and BOTH.