SpaceCamp is back in print!

Jay

Can't believe it's been up for hours and no one mentioned it on the freaking John Williams Fan Network. You guys are SLACKERS!

INTRADA Announces:

10304968_10152545295547169_3957600134514

SPACECAMP
Composed and Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS
INTRADA MAF 7140

Back by popular demand, Intrada reissues a previous Special Collection release that sold out all too quickly. The 1986 film SpaceCamp tells the story of a group of kids at space summer camp who accidentally lift off in the space shuttle during an engine test and struggle to get back to earth. One of the strongest elements of the film is the graceful, powerful score by John Williams. In lieu of different themes for the human characters, Williams opted to develop a series of motifs that reflect the adventure of space flight. The main theme is constructed of ascending phrases, just like the composers principal melodies for Star Wars, Superman and E.T., but while those earlier themes depicted an heroic sense of flight, SpaceCamps theme opens more slowly, attaining its goal gradually and with humility.

The original album for SpaceCamp runs a generous 49 minutes and was initially released by RCA Records on LP and re-issued in 1992 on a very limited Japanese edition from the SLC label that went out of print quickly. Intrada's previous reissue in 2010 also sold out quickly. Although the album was not presented in narrative sequence, it was a strong listening experience assembled by Williams and that original 14-track program has been retained here.

INTRADA MAF 7140
Retail Price: $19.99
Available NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9196/.f

A John Williams score that should never be out of print is back! Same contents as Intrada's previous release. (Owners of that CD need not apply.) Harry Winer film with Kate Capshaw, Tom Skerritt, Lea Thompson, Kelly Preston and very young Leaf (Joaquin) Phoenix sends team of student astronauts into space with disasters at every turn. Picture offers glimpse into real world of astronaut training program albeit exciting make-believe adventures take front and center. John Williams creates one of his most exhilarating scores of all time, aiming his large orchestra towards the awe and spectacle of discovery in outer space. Surging main theme in French horn launches, radiant fanfares, thrilling action, propulsive ideas all follow. Numerous perils are depicted with aggressive rhythms in busy brass section that build in intensity, then climax with dynamic, resounding major-key flourishes. Highlights are many: expressive, regal chordal passage for horns, trumpets during "The Computer Room", exciting action material during "White Sands", powerful, majestic finish to climactic "Home Again". Special spotlight goes to magnificent "SpaceCamp" cue, heard during end credits of movie (though composer placed it as opener to second side of his 1986 RCA LP). For this memorable 4-minute sequence, Williams anchors with dazzling fanfare, races into riveting allegro for full orchestra using fanfare as thematic basis, then crescendos into stunning fortissimo reading of main theme for entire orchestra to conclude. On a pedestal that includes Star Wars, E.T. and Superman, SpaceCamp stands tall. Williams packed almost every important musical sequence into his lengthy LP back in 1986. Intrada CD features same contents of that album courtesy Sony Music. John Williams conducts.

01. Main Title (3:07)
02. Training Montage (2:00)
03. The Shuttle (5:02)
04. The Computer Room (1:54)
05. Friends Forever (2:20)
06. In Orbit (3:12)
07. White Sands (6:52)
08. SpaceCamp (4:06)
09. Viewing Daedalus (2:45)
10. Max Breaks Loose (2:21)
11. Andie Is Stranded (4:08)
12. Max Finds Courage (3:53)
13. Re-Entry (3:55)
14. Home Again (3:30)

post-50-0-63847300-1417489865.jpg

post-50-0-23845900-1417489870.jpg

post-50-0-48714300-1417489874.jpg

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9196/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Cool that it's available again, although king mark doesn't approve because a single fanfare is missing.

That said, Erich Kunzel's version of the end credits is actually superior to the Williams version.

Is it a limited print this time?

Nope. Unlimited.

Well, that's a value killer.

I had my credit card whipped out and everything.

Well I already have 2 copies (one replaced because of the first glitch), so why should I care if it's back in print

Can I have it?

I' ve never considered c.d.'s valuable. I'd rather toss out a redundant album than bother to try to sell it, even if I might make a few bucks

Well I already have 2 copies (one replaced because of the first glitch), so why should I care if it's back in print

Can I have it?

I'll still keep it in case

I' ve never considered c.d.'s valuable. I'd rather toss out a redundant album than bother to try to sell it, even if I might make a few bucks

What if the CD was limited print? Forgot copying music online for this scenario and just consider the physical medium.

Quoting filmtracks.com here:

The 1992 SCC/BMG/RCA Victor album was a limited Japanese release of only 1,000 copies, printed as part of a 'CD Club.' Copies fetched prices in excess of $200 until a 2010 Intrada pressing of 3,000 copies was made available for $20 through soundtrack specialty outlets. The Intrada re-issue sold out within a single day and escalated in price to $40 on the secondary markets.

i.e. when opportunism meets capitalism, we get kids who are $20 richer when they could've been $200 richer.

Apparently only the Japanese c.d. has the correct pitch and speed

Wrong. The Intrada CD has perfect pitch and speed.

I'll never sell my original Williams OSTs that have been superceded by great expanded editions either.

This is great news to those who missed out on this score the last time! :)

Ebay prices set to plunge.

Damn! Suddenly I don't feel so rich anymore!

I'm feeling rich again!

Ebay prices set to plunge.

Damn! Suddenly I don't feel so rich anymore!

I'm feeling rich again!

Wrong. The Intrada CD has perfect pitch and speed.

I suppose you feel poor again. Oh the waxing and waning of your fortunes.

Glad to see this back in circulation for those who missed it the first time around (whether the ol' Japanese or the Intrada reissue from 2010). And of course, kudos for keeping the original program, although I guess in this case it wouldn't have affected the listening experience much if they'd been allowed to add the fanfare you're talking about.

Not Williams' most shining moment, this, but with a few highlight tracks.

I get paid on Thursday. I keep telling myself I'm going to get all of those still-available CDs I never bought (Rosewood, Empire of the Sun, Black Sunday, etc). Maybe this time I'll do it. I'm lazy when it comes to buying stuff, and as a result I missed out on things I really wanted, like Heidi, Poseidon Adventure, and that Jurassic Park LP.

I should have waited. I spent $650.00 on the Amazon Marketplace for mine. Too bad it arrived all fucking smashed in the mail and included Yes Georgia, which I didn't even want. Seemed like a good deal at the time!

You piad 650$ for fucking SPACECAMP???

Hey. It could be worse. You could pay more for a limited edition CD with no new material on it.

The proof is in the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-Danny-ELFMAN-Tim-BURTON-17-CD-BOX-soundtrack-/200604088964

You piad 650$ for fucking SPACECAMP??? 

Humor. It is a difficult concept.
Posted Image

I don't think that's funny. I don't think that's funny at all.

It's hard to tell what prices the obsessed collectors here will pay above and beyond retail for the privilege to put some plastic and paper on their shelf. I know I don't.

I'm fairly certain that there is more than one person on this board that has paid obscene sums like this. And not only once...

The most I ever paid was $90 for the sold out Varese edition of The Fury, but I sold it for the same amount knowing that nothing stays out of print forever these days. Then LLL's release came along a year later!

I'm fairly certain that there is more than one person on this board that has paid obscene sums like this. And not only once...

The most I ever paid was $90 for the sold out Varese edition of The Fury, but I sold it for the same amount knowing that nothing stays out of print forever these days. Then LLL's release came along a year later!

And I most I ever paid for soundtracks was $200 for a limited edition Burton/Elfman 25th Anniversary Music Box Collection (and really, they should've only sold for that much to begin with; $500 is a ripoff).

They're definitely not gonna make more of those, I can assure you.