Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Well, I ordered the piano book, maybe the lyrics are in there.

I got mine yesterday, There are a ton of lyrics in it.

We would be very interested in reading those lyrics. ;)

Unless they are again purely phonetic.

Well, I ordered the piano book, maybe the lyrics are in there.

I got mine yesterday, There are a ton of lyrics in it.

We would be very interested in reading those lyrics. ;)

Unless they are again purely phonetic.

Beyond Sorrow and Grief opening:

M'im-nu du-rin kah-zâd

Just like Kuhni!

Mithril:

Kh-run the-rek ikh-lit rid-zu du-Khoozd (read: Khuzd?) i - gri - bî'b - bek - âr d'-zun M'im-nu Du-rin Ikhf' id-ur-su Kha-zâd Ni gan-âd ab-an-ul uz-bad ma-ba-tath hu-ku za-ta-kri-ki Ar-a Sal-ul

The Darkest Hour:

Yan-li uz-bad Am-kar-i-tun za-sair ad ak-kaz-u mash-ar-ad
(saz-ba-di am)

Yan am tan li. Kar-i-zu za-sair-ad Or Er-e-bor

I nór-u-i I el-rath
(Naur i nór-u)

O-ma-el ar-an a-warth mel-lyn. Ur-
(Úr-u-i ae-lin I su.)

-u-i I_ ae-lin I su-i ab-gen-ed nar_ant gwi
(Ma-el en-ar a-warth mel-lyn)

O ma-el en-ar-an I a-warth_ i gen_
(Oh_an_gen_)

nar-ant_
(nar-ant_)

li el i_ngu-rth I tri 'wel-wen or-chal
(ma-el_)

Just like Kuhni!

Mithril:

Kh-run the-rek ikh-lit rid-zu du-Khoozd (read: Khuzd?) i - gri - bî'b - bek - âr d'-zun M'im-nu Du-rin Ikhf' id-ur-su Kha-zâd Ni gan-âd ab-an-ul uz-bad ma-ba-tath hu-ku za-ta-kri-ki Ar-a Sal-ul

The Darkest Hour:

(saz-ba-di am)

Yan am tan li. Kar-i-zu za-sair-ad

I can make those up, too, you know ;)

@SafeUnderHill

I don't have Quicktime or itunes.

Just like Kuhni!

Mithril:

The Darkest Hour:

(saz-ba-di am)

Yan am tan li. Kar-i-zu za-sair-ad

I can make those up, too, you know ;)

I didn't make them up, they are straight from the Piano - Vocal book.

Part 2: PJ wanted a chinese vibe for Smaug. He was amazed that New Zealand had two gamelan orchestras. The chinese gongs were tuned to a deep A, those of the celli. He said Shore had very specific instrumental ideas how he wanted to shape the sound of Middle Earth. Pope says Shore's music is an orchestral sound that wants to evoke largesse and epicness, but isn't alike to the orchestral sound of John Williams, and he says it's a challenge to evoke an epic orchestral sound, and not sound like John Williams. There is a "Middle-Earth vocabulary" that Howard Shore constantly wants to achieve, and he hopes they kept that intact "as much as we could".

Part 3: The interviewer asks if film 3 was the most dramatic of the Hobbit films. Pope says that there certainly is a lot of action, and that his head was spinning when he saw the final version. In the rough cut, it wasn't clear what the battle scenes would be, and there were a few that weren't included in the final film. What we remember from the film, the armies, the monsters, the creatures, wasn't there at all in the rough cut, and at the premiere, even Pope himself was amazed, he says in parts it was like a video game ( lol ). Pope says the other two Hobbit films were not as action-packed, but when you open a film with a dragon burning down a city, you pretty much know what to expect.

Part 4: The interviewer asks about the size of the orchestra and the work process. It's around 96 people, and they would do it in layers, like recording the orchestra, and the recording the percussion separately. They recorded the gamelan orchestra separately, too. He talks about how they tried different things with the gamelan, how he would orchestrate a first draft, and then record the score to the final cut. He also talks about how the film was still being edited while he recorded. He's grateful for having so much experience with film scoring because that process called upon every bit of his knowledge.

it's a challenge to evoke an epic orchestral sound, and not sound like John Williams.

Wow!

His other comments explain why you're having a hard time matching the OST music to picture, they recorded a lot of stuff to rough pre-viz battles that aren't the same as what ended up in the picture. Crazy.

His other comments explain why you're having a hard time matching the OST music to picture, they recorded a lot of stuff to rough pre-viz battles that aren't the same as what ended up in the picture. Crazy.

he would ...record the score to the final cut

Part 4: The interviewer asks about the size of the orchestra and the work process. It's around 96 people, and they would do it in layers, like recording the orchestra, and the recording the percussion separately. They recorded the gamelan orchestra separately, too. He talks about how they tried different things with the gamelan, how he would orchestrate a first draft, and then record the score to the final cut. He also talks about how the film was still being edited while he recorded. He's grateful for having so much experience with film scoring because that process called upon every bit of his knowledge.

Do you think they did more recording in stems (recording in sections) with this score than the last one. That might partially explain why BotFA sounds so thin.

Based on the featurettes, I'm not 100% sure this is entirely new (ROTK springs to mind specifically in this regard)

Right. If PJ could have just locked down his cuts and been happy with his film even a month earlier than he was, the overall film would have been better off on multiple levels, but especially the synchronicity of score to picture. Oh well.

I can't picture a scenarios where Shore works with PJ ever again.

Let's face it - BOTFA was never going to be released six months after DoS. I think they merely said that to appease those upset about their being three films, and having to wait a whole year for the climactic part.

Ah that obviously is another draft of the cover of The Music of the Hobbit Films book. :)

Nice of them to go for a matching look for the books. Hopefully both John Howe and Alan Lee once again share their amazing concept to be used inside the tome.

Wow I had no idea this Даг Адамс individual was writing a Music of the Hobbit Films book as well! Wonder what Doug Adams thinks about that? Hopefully it will be translated into English. At least now we have two Hobbit music books to look forward to! *

* (I'd like to leave this as is, but realize sarcasm doesn't translate well online, so yes, I am obviously joking)