The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Marvel Studios Cancels Creative Committee

Interesting.

After seven years and twelve films, the folks at Marvel Studios like Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, and Victoria Alonso likely think they're well-equipped at this point to handle the creative decisions and keep the tone clear across the board.

Sounds about right!

• 2 weeks later...

When we'll look back at it, this will mark the beginning of Marvel's downfall!

It can't come soon enough.

Why? We're in the Golden age of comic book films.

As long as it's after I get a satisfying Doctor Strange picture, that's fine. Then DC can crumble once Sandman happens.

Why? We're in the Golden age of comic book films.

And subsequently Dark Ages for middle budget, American studio pictures for literate adults.

And I ain't down with the whole "Golden Age of Television", but that's another story...

BTW, as a reminder I loved Batman Returns, Hulk and Man of Steel, so I don't hate comic book films as a rule, but in general I think the market is oversaturated with shite.

Sources tell Heroic Hollywood that Peter Parker (Tom Holland) will have been fighting crime as Spider-Man for about one year by the time the events of Captain America: Civil War take place, known to the public only as an urban legend.

As of the 2017 Spider-Man solo movie, Peter will have been operating as Spider-Man for about two years.

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/17/captain-america-civil-war-rumor-reveals-how-long-peter-parker-ha/

Are the Nolan Batman movies as grim, gritty, dark, realistic and relatable as people say? They're full of dumb jokes delivered by cops.

I don't think they're gritty and grim at all. They are just shot in real locations and using mostly practical solutions. That gives them a certain air of "hightened realism". In terms of plot, they aren't all that different from Batman comic books.

Karol

They are gritty AS COMPARED to old Batman and superhero films before that stage. But they are not that dark really. I had a chance of rewatching all three back to back a couple of months ago. And now, as all the hysteria has died down, they're not that edgy or grim. I remember all that discussion about The Dark Knight back in 2008 and, even then, it seemed tad overblown. But the other thing happened. Nolan seemed to have inspired a certain trend of dour and dreary cinema that sees no end. And some of those films, like Man of Steel, are a result of that. But Batman films are much more optimistic classic hero's journey type of story, even if some things might be bit more intense (but even that doesn't really cross PG-13). That's how I see them now at least.

Karol

Let's hear it from the master of grim himself, shall we?

Christopher Nolan: "Yeah, it (TDK) is grim. But Batman is a grim character. It's a grim world. And that's part of the fun of it—it's operatic. It's exciting. But it's definitely grim."

I think he's referring to it in terms of its earnest tone that treats source material with respect. But not as a heavy going social drama. As he points out in the same quite, it's OPERATIC AND EXCITING AND FUN.

Karol