The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only Jupiter Ascending was on there.  He could make a suite and call it "Trilogy of Sci-Fi Flops"

EDIT:

Oops!  I see Jupiter on there now!  Those three should be together!

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Very glad to see both John Carter and Tomorrowland on there.  They're fan favorites but hardly among his most celebrated works to general audiences.

What did you think of the recent sessions leak?

Michael Giacchino sang a duet with Gonzo from the Muppets.  It was wonderful!  What a brilliant concert.

There were three encores - Speed Racer, Alias and music from his new score for Coco.

I'm afraid I don't know, @Disco Stu as I am not too familiar with that score.  Hopefully other attendees can chime in with the details.

For now, here are a few blurry photos courtesy of yours truly until better ones are available.  There were more famous directors there than you could shake a stick at, including J. J. Abrams, Carlton Cuse, Pete Docter, Gareth Edwards, Matt Reeves, Andrew Stanton and Colin Trevorrow.  Unfortunately Brad Bird's flight was cancelled so he had to send his apologies.  Actor Benedict Wong and actress Raffey Cassidy (from Tomorrowland) both said a few words too.

Great credit must go to the Cinematic Sinfonia and English Chamber Choir who did a fantastic job with some very demanding music.

DSC02392.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

DSC02399.JPG

DSC02406.JPG

I was lucky enough to attend this tonight. I really enjoyed the program from start to finish. My favourite piece was John Carter, with notable mentions to Medal of Honor, Jupiter Ascending, Lost, Tomorrowland, Cloverfield, War for the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek and Super 8.

Gonzo (Dave Goelz himself) was fantastic! You could tell Giacchino had great fun with their sketch and was really moved by the song "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" that Gonzo originally performed in The Muppet Movie. Seeing Giacchino's homemade films playing on the screen as Super 8 was played was a joy to watch. As a non-owner of the John Carter CD, I couldn't help but feel envious as Andrew Stanton opened a sealed copy of the score, read his piece from the liner notes and handed the CD to a lucky member of the front row!

3 encores! Alias was a nice surprise to finish. All in all a fantastic concert. This was my 3rd time at the RAH this year and I will be back on Tuesday. We're really lucky that so many great film music concerts are being performed at the moment. Long may it continue!

6 hours ago, Omen II said:

It’s about to start! 😀

07B938E1-30AA-4B52-99F5-4C1D2B396782.jpeg

I can actually see myself in this!

After seeing this setlist for the concert (I'm so jealous!) I decided to revisit some of the greats from the past... 

Got to Secret Weapons over Normandy and noticed on Amazon they want somewhere near $200 for it!!!!
https://www.amazon.ca/Secret-Weapons-Normandy-Michael-Giacchino/dp/B01KB2BKOQ/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1508593567&sr=8-34&keywords=michael+giacchino

I mean yeah it's a great score but has it really gotten that rare!?

Oh I know it went out of print forever and a day ago but it's it really that sought after to command that price?

If I didn't love it so much I'd  start thinking of parting with mine!

EDIT: Apparently it's just us crazy Canadians... Amazon US has it for a more appropriate $50

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Weapons-Normandy-Michael-Giacchino/dp/B00012FXW2

Wow! This sounds like a truly incredible concert, the selections they chose to play are perfect! Thanks for all the reports guys!

4 minutes ago, Brian99_1 said:

Oh I know it went out of print forever and a day ago but it's it really that sought after to command that price?

In short? No. I'm quite sure it will come out again one day in one form or another, given how popular Giacchino is these days.

If you want my opinion, these things are never worth these types of prices. It's a waste of money.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow! This sounds like a truly incredible concert, the selections they chose to play are perfect! Thanks for all the reports guys!

There are quite a few videos already on YouTube, including these of Lost and Jurassic World, both including their introductions.  Presenter Adam Savage wore a series of amusing costumes throughout the evening if you hadn't already worked that out!

1 hour ago, lostoman17 said:

Cool!  This sounds fantastic.  Affirming my theory that Giacchino never stumbles when working with Pixar.

(I have never seen or heard Cars 2, I'm just going to live happily in ignorance assuming it aligns with my theory)

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

(I have never seen or heard Cars 2, I'm just going to live happily in ignorance assuming it aligns with my theory)

It ain’t bad. It’s a fun score, underrated like the movie.

Of a rather zany programme and delivery, the Super 8 montage was touching and my favourite part of the concert.

There are a few decent photos (better than mine, anyway!) at the Royal Albert Hall's website here.

The concert was not quite sold out and I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade from my seat in the upper circle to a second tier box, so I was already in a good mood before it even started.

Coco sounds pretty good! I'm cautiously optimistic. I do wonder whether some of that Mexican folk music will get annoying fast, though... 

Wow, Rogue One sounds much better in this concert hall setting. Acoustics much closer to the recording sound of the prequels, rather than the dry emulation of SW and TFA.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, Will said:

Coco sounds pretty good! I'm cautiously optimistic. I do wonder whether some of that Mexican folk music will get annoying fast, though... 

I love mexican music. Especially with mexican food. Mexican culture is wonderful.

Got to say - this was an astonishing concert that showcased MG's range and personality. I have made my share of critical comments but the man has the skills, the scores are the real thing, there are awesome themes, the orchestra is used creatively. What else. Oh, he sings as well.

I wish to apologise to MG if he ever reads these boards. He is a truly great composer. But I stand by my comments, and this is largely echoed, ironically, by the concert venue, as everything sounded a thousand times better than they do on cd. MG, WTF, we know you love the 70s sound but it does not work with your scores which are not scored with the orchestras Schifrin, Goldsmith etc had back then. They were very restricted bands often recorded in mono. Your work is not nor are your compositions designed for this. Release your version if you have to and let someone else do a proper master of your score and get it out there

Think back to your childhood Giacchino - Imagine Williams was offering everything from Jaws and Star Wars but only on crackly mono lps, on 'sandcakes'. All you could have is 19th century turntable discs. You would be upset - to many of us this is what your work sounds like. Your obsession with mono sound is terrible and needs to stop.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:41 AM, leeallen01 said:

Andrew Stanton joked about John Carter that "you are about to hear something no one has ever heard live, from a film that no one has ever seen."

Music from John Carter was premiered in concert at Luzern (with Wicki conducting) back in 2012 a few weeks before the film was released.  I spoke to Giacchino at the time and he was understandably quite concerned with the attempts made to market the film.

That concert also included a few things that haven't been heard in concert since, including Ghost Protocol, Let Me In and the full original arrangement of Roar!, without the clumsy cuts and the overblown choir.