Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I suppose it is, in that old fashioned Hollywood stars kinda way. I saw too much the star Hanks. I think a little bit less 'big' or less attention seeking would've been better for the movie.

I think Catch Me if You Can is a great film. I don't really understand or see what Alex means.

That's probably because you like him that way. The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Road To Perdition, Catch Me If You Can, ... I like him too but I can't help but seeing the Hollywood star Tom Hanks. It's like everything he does has to be a vehicle for HIM. Tom Hanks is an actor who can't disappear into a role and where you stop thinking about the actor or the acting. It's a minor gripe I have with CMIYC.

Sucker Punch available for a fiver here: http://www.graingerg...655-suckerpunch

Hmm, to buy or not to buy, that is the question.

As a fan of Snyder, I had no choice but I can't recommend it. I wish I could.

I think Catch Me if You Can is a great film. I don't really understand or see what Alex means.

That's probably because you like him that way. The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Road To Perdition, Catch Me If You Can, ... I like him too but I can't help but seeing the Hollywood star Tom Hanks. It's like everything he does has to be a vehicle for HIM. Tom Hanks is an actor who can't disappear into a role and where you stop thinking about the actor or the acting. It's a minor gripe I have with CMIYC.

Hanks can do both character acting and personality acting. It's what makes him one of the greats. The films you listed would fall into the former category.

Got Batman the movie and Moonraker for my b-day. both are bad but fun films. I love Barry's score to Moonraker. It's very good. Like another John, Mr. Barry had a great 70's and 80's.

I've got to pick up Airport somewhere since it wasn't available anywhere that I could find. Will pick up TiTanic this week too.

yes, and there is making a purchase in person with a 3 dollar off coupon that Amazon doesn't recognize

not when you drive by on a daily basis since it's between home and work and shop there every so often.

Hanks can do both character acting and personality acting. It's what makes him one of the greats. The films you listed would fall into the former category.

But he only knows how to do enlarged performances. I haven't seen low-key or subtle from him (or all the previous things I mentioned). I have the feeling you don't even seem to understand what I'm saying. All you say is "He's great". I don't deny that.

Tom Hanks is always Tom Hanks.

I haven't often seen him disappear into a character

many actors never disappear into a character, Jack Nickleson is alwasy Jack, Robert DeNiro is always Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino is always playing Al Pacino, now Daniel Day Lewis is always some crazy character.

Tom Hanks is always Tom Hanks.

I haven't often seen him disappear into a character

many actors never disappear into a character, Jack Nickleson is alwasy Jack, Robert DeNiro is always Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino is always playing Al Pacino, now Daniel Day Lewis is always some crazy character.

True. They're called superstars. Even when watching Tony Hopkins embody the very soul of a character, I'm still always aware that I'm watching one of the finest British superstar thesps in action. It's an accepted persistence the star shares with his roles.

You don't consider The Green Mile or Road To Perdition low key?

Like I said, I always see Tom Hanks, the famous movie star. He needs to carry the film. It's as if it's in his contract or something. In The Green Mile, he was like Tom Hanks, the angel and conscious of the audience, not a warden. I never see a character. Like Joey says, Jack is Jack. Maybe it's the same with Tom.

Alex

You don't consider The Green Mile or Road To Perdition low key?

Like I said, I always see Tom Hanks, the famous movie star. He needs to carry the film. It's as if it's in his contract or something. In The Green Mile, he was like Tom Hanks, the angel and conscious of the audience, not a warden. I never see a character. Like Joey says, Jack is Jack. Maybe it's the same with Tom.

Alex

If you only see Tom Hanks the person, then that's frankly your problem. You and Steef are talking about personality actors. People will go to the movies to see Will Smith, not the character he's portraying, but that doesn't mean him or another actor of similar stature isn't capable of disappearing into their characters. The great ones can do both.

Example: Brad Pitt.

Personality films: Ocean's Eleven, Burn After Reading, Mr. And Mrs. Smith

Character films: The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Babel, The Tree Of Life

Not sure if Brad Pitt is as 'good' a personality actor as Hanks or Nicholson. Ocean Eleven never gets a Brad Pitt movie. He doesn't overpower the rest of the film, like Hanks always does (as if the contract demands it). Pitt doesn't always want to be the star of the movie (as you are right to point out with Tree Of Life or The Assassination Of Jesse James). Saying it's only my problem doesn't make it less so, Koray, but I'm glad that you do seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Alex

Not sure if Brad Pitt is as 'good' a personality actor as Hanks or Nicholson. Ocean Eleven never gets a Brad Pitt movie. He doesn't overpower the rest of the film, like Hanks always does (as if the contract demands it). Pitt doesn't always want to be the star of the movie (as you are right to point out with Tree Of Life or The Assassination Of Jesse James). Saying it's only my problem doesn't make it less so, Koray, but I'm glad that you do seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Alex

You can't really be a "good" personality actor. Audiences either like your personality or they don't. Even though Pitt doesn't overpower the Ocean's films (there are 10 other personalities), he's more or less just being Brad Pitt.

I'd argue that a Hanks personality film would be something like Larry Crowne or possibly The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. Splash, Big, Sleepless In Seattle... stuff like that. While he plays a major role in The Green Mile and Road To Perdition, I think Michael Clarke Duncan's character and respectively, Tyler Hoechlin's character, rival his own in those films.

What would you consider Forrest Gump and Cast Away to be? He's very much the glaring star of both films, but I don't see Hanks, I see Gump and Chuck.

B&N has a Buy 2 Criterion Get 1 Free sale. Their prices are SRP, but with 3 titles it ends up amounting to $20 a piece, the equivalent of their 50% off sale.

I've got The Game and Antichrist in my cart, recommendations on my free title? I was leaning towards Shallow Grave, but it's already cheap, so I'd rather get something that's still expensive since it's free either way.

You can't really be a "good" personality actor.

Hmm, that's why I used apostrophes, Koray.

What would you consider Forrest Gump and Cast Away to be? He's very much the glaring star of both films, but I don't see Hanks, I see Gump and Chuck.

No problem because to me those two movies are Tom Hanks one-man-shows anyway. They are built around his personality.

Tbh I think Pitt's grown into a decent actor, within his range. He does play it safe, but I admire his enthusiasm and willingness to take smaller roles in off-beat movies. One step at a time, Brad.

the Titanic Blu is getting rave reviews for sound and picture quality.

seems with Jaws and Raiders, and the up coming E.T. we're getting some real gems this year in terms of blu ray quality (non specific to the film's quality).

something I've noticed the last several weeks from Target and BB, they are offering sale prices into a second week, I wonder if that is desperation.

I'm going to wait on the Indy set till Black Friday, unless it hit's my price point.

My next two purchases will be the E.T. Digibook and The Spy Who Loved Me, both BB exclusives.

Also, a Tarantino XX collection will be released on November 26th, containing all his films plus True Romance and two discs worth of new bonus features.

I might get this, considering I don't own Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, or True Romance on blu. Reservoir Dogs has a poor transfer and unfortunately just keeps getting rereleased without improvement. I've been waiting for The Whole Bloody Affair for years, but if he didn't take the time to finally get it done for this set I guess it'll never happen. If the uncut version of Death Proof is in here then I'll be sold. That wasn't included with the Grindhouse blu.

Christopher Nolan's Following and Terry Gilliam's Brazil will join the Criterion Collection in December, among others.

Nice! I have a DVDR of the Criterion Brazil on DVD, nice its finally getting a blu release

Also, a Tarantino XX collection will be released on November 26th, containing all his films plus True Romance and two discs worth of new bonus features.

I might get this, considering I don't own Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, or True Romance on blu. Reservoir Dogs has a poor transfer and unfortunately just keeps getting rereleased without improvement. I've been waiting for The Whole Bloody Affair for years, but if he didn't take the time to finally get it done for this set I guess it'll never happen. If the uncut version of Death Proof is in here then I'll be sold. That wasn't included with the Grindhouse blu.

Yea, I never bought Kill Bill cause I was waiting for the ultimate release. Can't believe it's not even going to be ready for this new box!

Kinda silly the box set is coming out before the eventual Django Unchained blu. And the 2 bonus discs don't sound that interesting. Honestly for the most part I feel Tarantino's films speak for themselves, the only bonus material I'd really be interested in would finally be the deleted scenes / earlier cut from Inglorious Basterds, and whatever other deleted scenes from his other movies exist that haven't been released