Upcoming Films

Quintus

Im quite anxious to see the movie Knowing.

since its a Nick Cage movie, most of us are Knowing there is a good chance it won't be the best movie.

But I do love the premise.

I hope it's not as disappointing as "Next". I still regret the loss of my ticket money (and poor Julianne Moore ;-))

Why does a movie like that need to be made?

Because Tarantino has a gigantic ego.

He's a genius. All he does is steal, I mean be inspired, from the movies he loves. I wouldn't call that ego. Inglourious Basterds is what he described as a Spaghetti western in Nazi occupied France. Too bad Morricone can't compose because of the damn Weinstein's. Nonetheless it'll be filled with his music.

I was disappointed by the trailer. I was expecting something a little more serious, but it looks like a gore-fest exploitation film. We already have a director that can bring violence and humor together, and his name is Robert Rodriguez. I hope Tarantino returns to his usual style.

Why does a movie like that need to be made?

Because Tarantino has a gigantic ego.

He's a genius. All he does is steal, I mean be inspired, from the movies he loves. I wouldn't call that ego. Inglourious Basterds is what he described as a Spaghetti western in Nazi occupied France. Too bad Morricone can't compose because of the damn Weinstein's. Nonetheless it'll be filled with his music.

I was disappointed by the trailer. I was expecting something a little more serious, but it looks like a gore-fest exploitation film. We already have a director that can bring violence and humor together, and his name is Robert Rodriguez. I hope Tarantino returns to his usual style.

I don't think he's a genius. He clearly thinks he's a genius, but he's really a good filmmaker who can sometimes write good dialogue and occasionally picks decent music, when he's not operating under his ego (see next sentence). I mention his ego, because he seems to think we all are dying to watch the movies he makes, and seems determined for us all to love grindhouse movies as much as he does when frankly most of them are terrible and usually worth watching only for the music and ironic value (see JAWS 3). I can't watch one of his movies without imagining him at the side going 'I used a Charlie Feathers song, look how hip I am!'

please QT is not a genius, he's often a freaking idiot.

He's no genius and if anything he's severely overrated, BUT Pulp Fiction is not only a masterpiece of contemporary cinema; it also the most revolutionary film of the 90s. The screenplay alone IS a stroke of sheer genius.

Pulp Fiction is as rewatchable as Jaws and I don't say that lightly, as if I had to say.

it also the most revolutionary film of the 90s.

I think TOY STORY would have something to say about that.

I haven't seen the film in a long time, and I don't really have a desire to. I'll admit it's well written, but it personifies the 'I'm hip!' thematics of his work. I think his best film is one he didn't direct, TRUE ROMANCE.

Nobody has bettered Pulp Fiction.

In what way, exactly? There have been better films since PULP FICTION.

Actually, looking back, JURASSIC PARK or T2 are probably the most revolutionary.

I'm talking in terms of movies like Pulp Fiction, in that they are movies where the branching and interwoven narrative is almost as important as the story itself.

I agree that JP and T2 were revolutionary, but not in the same sense that PF was.

What I find quite intriguing is your apparent assumption that you thought I was speaking about technical revolutions in film, when I was actually talking about the bare basics of good film - story and structure.

I'm talking in terms of movies like Pulp Fiction, in that they are movies where the branching and interwoven narrative is almost as important as the story itself.

I agree that JP and T2 were revolutionary, but not in the same sense as PF was.

I see.

Not in the same sense, no, but then you'd have to qualify 'the most revolutionary film of the 90s' with the explanation. On its own, I don't think it supports the statement, because there were a few revolutionary movies in that decade.

Love the film though I do, I would not consider Jurassic Park "revolutionary", from a non-technical perspective

Neither would I.

What I find quite intriguing is your apparent assumption that you thought I was speaking about technical revolutions in film, when I was actually talking about the bare basics of good film - story and structure.

I didn't assume that at all, I just took the term "revolutionary" at face value.

I'll paste the story here b/c it's short enough.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090225/ap_en_...negger_stallone

Schwarzenegger to play himself in Stallone film

2 hrs 51 mins ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Art will imitate life when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger spends a few hours playing himself later this year in a movie by Sylvester Stallone.

Stallone's publicist, Sheryl Main, revealed more details Tuesday of Schwarzenegger's rare big-screen appearance. The governor said he has done just three cameos for friends since becoming governor in 2003.

Shooting on the film, "The Expendables," will begin March 28 in Brazil and move to New Orleans for two months. Main says the governor will shoot his scene in Los Angeles.

His role will be a familiar one: California governor.

Stallone writes, directs and stars in the movie, a film about a group of mercenaries trying to overthrow a South American dictator. It also stars Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke and Forest Whitaker.

Look at that cast! Wow! How could this possibly be a bad movie?!

I think it also stars that guy from the Transporter films as well, Jason (I can't think of his last name).

I had to laugh when I saw that cast list.

The Razzies are licking their chops in anticipation.

I'll paste the story here b/c it's short enough.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090225/ap_en_...negger_stallone

Schwarzenegger to play himself in Stallone film

2 hrs 51 mins ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Art will imitate life when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger spends a few hours playing himself later this year in a movie by Sylvester Stallone.

Stallone's publicist, Sheryl Main, revealed more details Tuesday of Schwarzenegger's rare big-screen appearance. The governor said he has done just three cameos for friends since becoming governor in 2003.

Shooting on the film, "The Expendables," will begin March 28 in Brazil and move to New Orleans for two months. Main says the governor will shoot his scene in Los Angeles.

His role will be a familiar one: California governor.

Stallone writes, directs and stars in the movie, a film about a group of mercenaries trying to overthrow a South American dictator. It also stars Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke and Forest Whitaker.

Look at that cast! Wow! How could this possibly be a bad movie?!

Yeah, I read about the cast a few weeks back, though Arnie hadn't been announced back then.

With a cast like that, this could quite possibly turn out to be the greatest movie of all time! It can't possibly fail, even it it turns out to be a mere guilty pleasure, I'm sold.

I never cared much for Pulp Fiction, its like new glossy wood paneling, slick and fresh looking, but its still wood paneling.

The most memorable thing to me about QT is that he'll always be that extra face in the background on the Golden Girls.

Too bad. I'm not familiar with them, but I was hoping Brad Fidel would get the job after his work on the video game. Either way, I really don't car about this film, rather I was just rooting for Fidel to get a high profile job.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got mixed feelings about this one, The Battle for Terra:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2148336409/

Visually, it looks like they turned the Homeworld series of video games into a movie. I'm not impressed with the voice acting, the characters all sound too tired or disinterested. The name "Terra" is usually reserved for this planet in science fiction, so I'm curious what's up with that. But the storyline, who they've cast as the antagonizers of the movie? Ugh.

Strange, it works fine for me...?

I guess it was just a temporary problem. Let's just hope if they do end up doing Evil Dead 4, it doesn't suck. I'll reserve judgment until Drag Me to Hell is released/reviewed.

AoD is certainly the weakest of the trilogy, but that in no way makes it bad. Hell no.

It's like telling Star Wars fans that Return of the Jedi is a bad movie.

Army of Darkness is a whole different thing entirely. Hopefully, Evil Dead 4 will stick to the first. Either way, I'm all down for some Bruce Campbell goodness.

Which ending from Army of Darkness would Evil Dead 4 use? Ash sleeps for a thousand years, or he returns to the S-Mart to save the day from more zombies?

Anyways, why is Bruckheimer making a live action movie of The Sorcerer's Apprentice with Nicholas Cage? Why?

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/03/nic-ca...rers-apprentice