14. Presenting Bianca Castafiore - OST 13

15. The Pursuit Of The Falcon - OST 14

16. The Captain's Counsel - OST 15

17. The Clash of the Cranes - FYC 15

18. Return To Marlinspike Hall and Finale - OST 17

19. The Adventure Continues - OST 18

20. Snowy's Theme - OST 02

OK I lied, some minor editing required

Don't know if this has been shared but someone seems to have got unreleased music from the official uk site. Can't listen to it though so don't know if it's legit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx79KHHpaE8

See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20792&view=findpost&p=764621

We gotta get Joe to do a fan edit - the recording sessions will surely leak right after he does! :P

I should do an edit also, I did an edit of Star Trek IV, last (2011) summer, and look what happened!

I dont understand. I posted exactly where the unreleased music is and how every track relates to its OST counterpart. What more do you need?

Wow, terrific!!!

I'm wondering there will exist a 2 cd complete FYC like How to Train Your Dragon last year. :drool:

But considering TINTIN is released by Paramount, I this will be just a BIGBIG dream. :crymore:

BTW I'm also interested in the Super 8 FYC cd, is any new material in this edition? Thank you!

Any chance of hearing this disc?

Maybe I missed something.

Do you know the feeling when a friend throws a great party and you're not invited?

yeah same.....

Very great info, Jason. Thank you.

Any chance of hearing this disc?

Maybe I missed something.

Do you know the feeling when a friend throws a great party and you're not invited?

Would like to listen to it too, if there is a chance?

P.S.: I forgot to ask Jason: Is the CD a real pressing or only a CD-R? I could not figure out with the help of your pictures only.

04. The Thompsons and Snowy In Pursuit 5:14

[0:00-1:43] (1:43) = COMPLETELY UNRELEASED CUE, the real music for the Introduction of the Thompsons (with the mystery solving theme, the piano music for falling down the stairs, etc.) I'm now convinced that OST 04 0:00-0:34 is from another part of the movie entiretly.

Any ideas from what part of the film, if it was used at all?

[1:52-end] (3:22) =OST 04 Introducing The Thompsons and Snowy's Chase 0:52-end [NOTE: There's an extra piano note - possibly tracked? - at 2:04] There's some editing in the FYC version as well, so otherwise use the OST.

Are you sure it's the exact same performance? I can't get the wave forms to line up perfectly for even a few seconds at the 1:52 mark when I try to sync it to the OST track at around the 0;52 mark. And the wave forms look rather different.

1:52 to around 2.20 on the FYC seems to me like a different performance to the corresponding OST version 0:52 - 1:20

2:33 to 2:41 is about a second longer then the corresponding OST part. I can't detect any obvious looping in the FYC, so maybe it's a microedit on the OST.

3:27 the string line after the timpani hit is held slightly longer on the FYC then it is on the OST. Sound like anoher microedit in the OST.

3:38 to 3:42 has a slightly linger string passage then on the OST. Another OST microedit

I will say another time... so the tracklist is updated...

'escape from the karaboudjan' in the FYC has several edits (shortening miliseconds or seconds)

Just in case someone decided to use it since the tracklist says it has no noticeable differences...

and can anyone confirm if the ending from capturing the plane is tracked from karaboudjan or not?

P.S.: I forgot to ask Jason: Is the CD a real pressing or only a CD-R? I could not figure out with the help of your pictures only.

They are real CDs

BTW I'm also interested in the Super 8 FYC cd, is any new material in this edition? Thank you!

See here: http://www.jwfan.com...ndpost&p=777262

He's saying the FYC has edits compared to the OST version. I hadn't notated that in my list

The most frustrating part of comparing the FYC to the OST is that there are many many times where the equivalent FYC portion is longer, and its literally impossible to tell if the OST is microedited and the FYC is the as-recorded version, or if the OST is the as-recorded version, and the FYC was extended/looped. Very difficult, this project is.

I didn't choose that one because despite having the really cool music for the French pilots, has the AWFUL edit at the beginning that sounds terrible.

I'm sure someone will make a good edit shortly.

Captain Haddock Takes The Oars

00:33 - 2 more pizzicato notes from the strings then on the OST (not sure if they are cut from the OST of doubled on the FYC)

00:41- 00:46 stringline last a few seconds longer then on the OST (microedit on the OST. Williams often takes out slights pauses and lingering lines to tighted up the cue)

0:48 - 01:00 The swirling strings part is shorter then on the OST (8 seconds difference)

2:01 - End seems to be al alternate of the final part of Capturing Mr. Silk

I didn't choose that one because despite having the really cool music for the French pilots, has the AWFUL edit at the beginning that sounds terrible.

I'm sure someone will make a good edit shortly.

Yes the FYC track cuts the accordion music for Haddock's and Snowy's hunt for the floating alcohol altogether.

I would also say that the Captain Haddock Takes the Oars ending (Capturing Mr. Silk) is a completely different (film) version, not just edited down from the OST. The orchestration is quite different compared to the OST.

Escape from Karaboudjan also has a really noticeable edit of Snowy's theme from some part of the score (Snowy in Pursuit possibly) at 0:24.

@Jason: Do you know where the OST track Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase opening 34 seconds should go? You said you had a hunch about this.

I suddenly remembered why i stopped editing Prequel scores.

:lol: I know what you mean. Microedits and other nice little conundrums make my head hurt soon enough when I try to start compiling an expanded set of music from this (or many other) scores.

I retain the highly listenable OST presentations for most tracks since the FYC contains many awkward film edits and I bet many of the pieces are as written on the OST anyway.

04. The Thompsons and Snowy In Pursuit 5:14

[0:00-1:43] (1:43) = COMPLETELY UNRELEASED CUE, the real music for the Introduction of the Thompsons (with the mystery solving theme, the piano music for falling down the stairs, etc.) I'm now convinced that OST 04 0:00-0:34 is from another part of the movie entiretly.

Any ideas from what part of the film, if it was used at all?

My theory is that it's an alternate (maybe part of the 2010 sessions?), but it could also be a version specifically recorded for the album.

I wish this promo had never come our way!

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to edit with the tracks that are given us.

Stefan: It's a pity the film company didn't destroy the promo when they had the chance!

Incanus: [glancing sharply at Stefan] "Pity? It was pity that stayed the film company's hand. Many scores that exist deserve a promo release to be shared with the fans, and some that do have a CD release deserve a complete release even more. Can you give it to them, Stefan?

Do not be too eager to deal out disappointed judgment. Even the very wise can not see all ends. My heart tells me that Tintin Promo has some part to play yet, for good or ill…

Very difficult, this project is.

I'm sure there'll be some "Chosen One" or whatever.

Yes, someone who does not know his true identity, raised by foster parents, working as a blacksmith apprentice or a shepherd but called to his true prominence by an elderly mentor who reveals him his true identity and guides him until he either departs or dies trying to protect him from the forces of evil that the chosen one is supposed to destroy in the end. He shall edit Tintin for us. For us all!

Jason: (to BloodBoal): I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure.

King Mark: I cannot guarantee his safety.

Jason: Understood.

The Thompsons and Snowy In Pursuit

1:52 to around 2.20 on the FYC seems to me like a different performance to the corresponding OST version 0:52 - 1:20

The main musical idea is the same in both pieces, but there are some slight differences in arrangement and the sync points don't line up.

I think it's possible that the version on the OST is from the earlier sessions and Williams redid it later because there were some minor changes to the scene. He basically corrected the timings a bit.

If it is true that the OST contains versions of certain cues that Williams recorded during the first sessions then this is going to be the hardest thing to figure out since TPM.

Does one stick to the film versions, or Williams initial ideas (even though in a lot of cases the differences are minute)

The Thompsons and Snowy In Pursuit

The main musical idea is the same in both pieces, but there are some slight differences in arrangement and the sync points don't line up.

I think it's possible that the version on the OST is from the earlier sessions and Williams redid it later because there were some minor changes to the scene. He basically corrected the timings a bit.

If it is true that the OST contains versions of certain cues that Williams recorded during the first sessions then this is going to be the hardest thing to figure out since TPM.

Does one stick to the film versions, or Williams initial ideas (even though in a lot of cases the differences are minute)

The material itself is tricky since it is inherently full of quick transitions and twists and turns as do many of Williams' action-adventure scores, the animated nature of the film perhaps bringing this out a bit more.

As for trying to figure out how the final film versions and the OST version would line up I would just keep them separate, the material on the OST either the original intention from the earlier sessions or the later ones, which is difficult to tell without the sheet music. It is easier just to present the tracks as separate alternates than try to edit them together (unless the original (film version) is plagued by too many edits that are absent from the OST versions). E.g. the film version of Flight to Bagghar can be pretty easily edited so that the accordion passage from the beginning half as heard on the OST is inserted back into the music.

Jason might be able to shed light on all this based on the sheet music.

So basically these are the things we have to deal with.

1- The FYC promo (presumably) contains the music as it appears in the film. Meaning parts can be tracked or looped and music can be presented in a scene it was not originally intended for.

2- The OST was arranged for a best listening experience. So cues are combined, the track order is not strictly chronological and Williams could have made a lot of micro edits to remove slight pauses to make the music flow better on CD. Also it's is possible and likely the OST contains music that was not used in the film, or was written specifically for the CD.

3- Williams recorded the bulk of the score for Tintin in 2009 or early 2010. And then later had a new set of recording sessions in 2011. To score scenes that have been changed during the production. This means it is very likely multiple cues exist for the same scene, in some cases with only very minor differences.

4- Of the music we have on the FYC promo and the OST, we have no idea when individual cues were recorded, during the earlier or later sessions. We can be sure both CD's offer a combination of both sessions, but we have no way to determine what is what.

5-Untill the DVD or Blu-ray is released we can not be sure the FYC promo really has the music like it's presented in the film.

Anything else?

Jason does not have all the sheet music.

That sums up the difficulty of providing a comprehensive view of the score as recorded since we can't know for certain the evolution of the pieces between different incarnations. I would not say it is a serious threat to the listenability of the music. Not for me anyway.

Jason does not have all the sheet music.

No but I think there exists a good chunk of the early sessions sheet music which can shed light on things. Not everything but a good deal.

So all told how worthwhile is this FYC album? I know it has that unreleased cue, but it seems to me after reading Jason's breakdowns that everything else is of very limited interest.

Does the ost remain the definitive listen so far? If so I'll stick with it.