Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

Holy crap, scroll back to page 14. Somebody (Ricard?) edited a bunch of posts to remove the guy's name, and the guy removed his post from Conrad's Facebook. So I guess he got in trouble?

Does that mean he was wrong? Or doe that mean he was right but Disney doesn't want us to know that was Williams' flute solo?

Maybe the guy himself found out it was getting passed around the Internet and panicked.

Also regarding the rejected trailer music, it could be that Williams wrote more action/suspense music similar to the first teaser but they wanted to go full-on nostalgia instead.

If he did in fact feel authorised to post the confirmation, he would never have eventually removed it, meaning he shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Oh well.

If anything, this incident goes to show how deceivingly private Facebook seems.

They even chastised Mark Hamill for saying something completely inconsequential, so this guy is probably dead and his skeleton is now in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

Now I'm afraid to partake in this discussion, and I don't even know anything.

Holy crap, scroll back to page 14. Somebody (Ricard?) edited a bunch of posts to remove the guy's name, and the guy removed his post from Conrad's Facebook. So I guess he got in trouble?

Does that mean he was wrong? Or doe that mean he was right but Disney doesn't want us to know that was Williams' flute solo?

Disney is hard at work erasing every aspect of this man's existence from global databanks. Photos, passports, social security number: all gone. By noon tomorrow, this man will have never existed.

Toldja. My reasoning was that they have only ever used franchise music in the TV spots and trailers for Ep VII. They weren't randomly gonna use some trailer music. So it was Williams all along.

Let me again express my admiration for the piece. Even though the theme itself sounds simple during the flute solo, the horn solo is accompanied by some tumultuous tempestuous underscore that will give it huge epic scope and density. Not quite like the Harry Potter theme but in a way the idea is similar, the HP theme itself was pretty simple but was made by the overwrought orchestra underneath which was exploding in all kinds of macabre activity. Only this time the effect won't be macabre but emotional and conflicted (to maybe represent the character and her discovery).

This is not just about a flute solo - it's about two unused trailer cues, as well as a cue from the film itself. Information about the score, basically - something Disney has been holding back for quite some time now!

Maybe the guy himself found out it was getting passed around the Internet and panicked.

Yes, more or less. The information is correct, though. Let's just discuss it without mentioning any specific source, please.

I find it hard to believe trailer 2 is completely non-Williams. Real, live orchestral music is clearly the base for 90% of the music, especially the horn solo at the beginning and the rendition of Yoda and the Force at the end. There are clearly artificial sweeteners that Disney have used to "enhance" the music with.

especially the horn solo at the beginning and the rendition of Yoda and the Force at the end.

Both tracked from the OST's

The horn solo is from ANH Tales of a Jedi Knight, but pitch shifted, and YatF is of course from ESB.

So you're saying Disney decided to trawl through and digitise the original recording sessions of the original scores to find slightly different takes of perfectly usable cues for a trailer that Williams had already composed multiple variants of music for with a modern and expensive live orchestra?

Makes sense.

So you're saying Disney decided to trawl through and digitise the original recording sessions of the original scores to find slightly different takes of perfectly usable cues for a trailer that Williams had already composed multiple variants of music for with a modern and expensive live orchestra?

Makes sense.

You overestimate the producers.

There could also be EQ, time stretching, and pitch shifting.

Where is the adaptation of The Force Theme at 1:00 from? It's clearly a live orchestra and it's clearly a modern recording, albeit with terrible drum overlays. There's no EQ or pitch shifting artifacts anywhere either.

It would've required an incredibly skillful engineer to convert Learn About The Force into that opening horn solo, too. Especially when Williams could've re-recorded that section in his sleep and when the OST orchestration and recording doesn't line up with this trailer version.

There could also be EQ, time stretching, and pitch shifting.

Where is the adaptation of The Force Theme at 1:00 from?

That could either be by the Trailer house or theoretically be one of the bits of two options.

It would've required an incredibly skillful engineer to convert Learn About The Force into that opening horn solo, too.

Call me an incredibly skillful engineer then.

I must be going deaf then because apart from the obvious synth overlays (drums and whatever) the core musical element of trailer 2 is a live orchestral recording, and nothing following the opening horn statement is music composed in the OT (yet it transitions sublimely into the new Yoda and the Force recording at 1:00).

Also regarding the rejected trailer music, it could be that Williams wrote more action/suspense music similar to the first teaser but they wanted to go full-on nostalgia instead.

I would agree that there is a good chance of the this. Perhaps Williams even used one of the new themes as a basis, but the suits went for what was more recognizable.

especially the horn solo at the beginning and the rendition of Yoda and the Force at the end.

Both tracked from the OST's

The horn solo is from ANH Tales of a Jedi Knight, but pitch shifted, and YatF is of course from ESB.

I agree with you, faleel.

Has anyone written down the notes to what is most likely Rey's Theme (the flute line from a recent TV Spot) and analyzed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HN9soeGa8

I just played it at the piano and compared it to two other notable themes: Star Wars main title / Luke's theme and Imperial March / Vader's theme.

Maybe' it's just me, but I get the sense that JW has brilliantly created Rey's theme as a blending of each of these two prior themes, inverting Luke's theme (D to G instead of G to D), using some of the notes, putting it in minor key, and then throwing in hints of Vader's theme at the end of melodic line.

Does anyone else hear this? Can someone do a full musical analysis on it and compare with old themes? Is this foreshadowing about Rey's character? Please don't post spoilers if you know anything for sure, one way or the other, but IMO, if this is Rey's theme, then her destiny may be uncertain and darker than we may expect......

If it turns out this theme wasn't written by Williams and was just written by some unknown-trailer-guy-composer, the jokes are never going to end..........

Has anyone written down the notes to what is most likely Rey's Theme (the flute line from a recent TV Spot) and analyzed it?

Yes, of course, several people in fact, over in the thread for the commerical you're talking about.

For example see Alexander's signature and discussion around here

And watch Unofficial But True's videos about it starting around here

It's been confirmed it's from the score.

Yes. And no.

...what do you mean? You were the one who told us it was Williams in the first place!

Yeah, I know and I'm personally still having faith that this is Rey's Theme, but I think the confirmation people are referring to is the article in 'Variety' and that is not as solid as one might believe...

• 3 years later...

The music in the ABC TV spot sounds JUST like Williams. Has all of his signature trademarks! So exciting to possibly be getting new music from the film before release! Only a few more weeks until we know for sure! Could be wrong, but I would bet money that it's him!

Like, a lot of money.