The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

But the regular audience member wants super-heroics. Not epic tragedies. And from that perspective, it is not a Batman film.

So Bane DOES punches the bats to death. OMG, the audience, the fans . . . it's all over!

It feels like A Tale of Two Cities meets silent era film epics meets everything-you-hate-about-overwrought-Nolan.

karol

Ahhh. So Max Shrek has a cameo?

• 1 month later...

I still haven't seen this movie. Is it worth it to go to the theater, or should I just wait until it's on HBO like all the later Harry Potter movies?

I enjoyed The Dark Knight (mostly the villains), Begins not as much. My favorites are the Tim Burton ones. I feel the same way about the various interpretations of Batman as I do about Bond. Whether it's lighter or darker, as long as it's entertaining, it's valid. I even like Batman & Robin, Adam West is awesome, etc.

As threequels go, how is this one?

Good. At least a film that tries to be more than just a mindless CGI fest is embraced. Maybe producers will realize that audiences are smarter than they think.

The film does better than I expected. $1,011,011,261 worldwide as of today. At this point no one will say no to Nolan at Warner Bros.

Karol

He already earned that when The Dark Knight hit $1 billion. Original scripts rarely get the budget that Inception did.

• 3 months later...

I agree with a few of those, mainly the unnecessary eight year gap as well as Foley and the stupid prideful attack on Bane's men, but the others to me were fine. I think Bane's voice gave him a lot of personality and I never questioned Bale as Batman. Yes, he's not as crazed with hunting down crime as he's often portrayed, but I like the idea of him wanting to find a way to have Batman fight crime and let Bruce Wayne find peace.

Yeah Bane's voice was a nice surprise for me when I first heard him in the film. Only knew it from the two trailers, and there it sounded more monotone like Vader. There was lot more maniacal personality to it in the final film.

Oh well. Now that Nolan is done with this Batman thing he can get back to making cool films.

Were The Prestige and Inception not cool films?

They all are. Not that I think he's making a masterpiece one after another. But if you compare it to other films in the same genres, his output stands strong.

Karol

Not that I think he's making a masterpiece one after another. But if you compare it to other films in the same genres, his output stands strong.

I agree.

Though he does need to start making his films a little more sexy

They all are. Not that I think he's making a masterpiece one after another. But if you compare it to other films in the same genres, his output stands strong.

Karol

His output is consistently strong, but TDKR is a big drop in Nolan's usual consistency.

I think so less and less now. Sure it is a flawed film, but even when you compare it to other blockbuster film of 2012 it's still more ambitious than pretty much all of them. Before you start protesting note that I'm not saying "more polished" and "less flawed" here. But still the film, with all its shortcomings, goes deeper than the others. And for that I completely applaud filmmakers. I've watched all the Nolan Batman films the other day and my only conclusion is that people overreacted when it got first released, in a same way people overreacted when TDK was first released (just in the opposite direction). All these so called "flaws" mostly exist in all of them. Besides, the film works much better when you consider that it's a third part of the trilogy. And I have to say this one of the most coherent and satisfying series ever. And the funny thing is, Nolan is the only director who ever said "we're making it up as we go along" when speaking of his grand trilogy.

Karol

Marion Cotillard is sexy as hell.

Sure, and so is Anne Hathaway and Scarlett Johannson and Piper Perabo and Rebecca Hall. But he never has them do any really sexy things, what I mean is there is hardly ever any romance or seduction. All his movies are grim and gritty and male-centric.

His output is consistently strong, but TDKR is a big drop in Nolan's usual consistency.

That's how I feel

Sure, and so is Anne Hathaway and Scarlett Johannson and Piper Perabo and Rebecca Hall. But he never has them do any really sexy things, what I mean is there is hardly ever any romance or seduction.

There doesn't have to be these things. That said I've seen romance in his films, just not the typical way where a positive romance acts as a plot.