The Desolation of Smaug SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

You're suggesting I should go to JWFan instead?

No. I'm just saying that it's not because some people on the Internet say they enjoyed movie that it makes it good. That just mean that these persons thought it was good. End of story.

I never understood people coming up with RT and/or IMDB ratings to prove their point about a film.

Well then there is no way of determining if a film is good, it is completely objective of course.

Subjective, you mean. ;)

The reason I used the ratings was to show that there are people who enjoy these films.

I never said that there weren't.

Also, same applies just because some people here complain about it doesn't make it a bad movie.

Again, nobody said that.

Why not?

Because, what does that prove?

Of course the films have positives, no one denies it that.

But when I said LOTR was a more "intelligent" take on Middle-Earth, I was referring how the source material was intelligently handled, the scripts, the changes in characters and plot points for cinematic effevt, the filming and conception of set designs and Tolkien locations, etc. Everything was handled smartly, for the lack of a better term. Of course the LOTR films are far from perfect, but the reasoning behind a lot of the productions choices are often logical and effective.

The Hobbit films...well, if we have to spend pages and pages coming up with bullshit explanations to understand what's going on in the films, that kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

No one here is claiming this film doesn't have its pros, or that it doesn't have its fans, but its a very flawed and frustrating film, and I don't see why this can't be pointed out when discussing it.

It gives both quantative and qualitative data regarding viewer opinion of a film.

Quantitative, yes, qualitative, not really. And as you said, "regarding viewer opinion of a film", not "regarding the quality of a film".

Well all this PJ bashing seems to me to be suggesting it is a bad movie,

No. It's just suggesting that some people think this is a bad movie/that PJ made wrong decisions. That is all.

The Hobbit films...well, if we have to spend pages and pages coming up with bullshit explanations to understand what's going on in the films, that kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

+1. Of course, part of it has to do with the fact that the third film yet has to be released, and will explain a few things that don't make sense yet, though.

"I liked the movie! It made sense!

I didn't! It was ludicrous!

You hate everything!

No, I never said that, I just intensely implied it!

Well, to each their own.

Agree to disagree.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion."

Now kiss.

Well, of course, if someone thinks a film is good, that generally implies that that person thinks that the quality of the film is good. And vice versa. But who's wrong, who's right? You can't tell. You can't come up with any truth when people's opinions are involved. So let's leave that matter there and move to something else.

My Little Pony, anyone?

• 3 years later...

What is the point of SUH bumping a 3 year old DOS spoilers thread because a person who sang a song in that film appeared as an actor on an unrelated production?

HBO's parent company is Time Warner - I think we all know why Ed is popping up in these things.

Equally distressing, however, was the appearance of Thomas Turgoose alongside him. Impressed as a child in This is England but has shown in the subsequent follow-ups that he's a pretty shit actor. I also prefer to call him Thomas Mongoose, for reasons unknown.