The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed. "Fear Her" stereotypes men in every one-sided, horrible way. Unforgivable. I expect more from DW. Didn't that story have Mrs. Figgis?

Fear Her is one of the few things I've ever seen on TV that actually pissed me off. I found it personally insulting. Like whoever wrote it knocked on my door in the middle of the night, spilled my pint, told me he fucked my mum and then mooned me!

Sleep No More is just utterly forgettable, I actually had to google it.

I was and am pissed off at how mediocre it is because it's the one blemish on Series 9, one of the great seasons of this show IMO.  It was sandwiched between "The Zygon Inversion" and "Face the Raven," two episodes I adored.

There are only three episodes of Season 9 I would describe as anything other than great.  The opening two parter and "Sleep No More." 

Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar wasn't bad by any means, just short of greatness.  If only the rest of the story was as good as the scenes with just the Doctor and Davros talking.

Also, I want a spinoff mashup TV show where Davros and Davos Seaworth share an apartment in Davos, Switzerland.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Richard said:

(sighs, and shakes head, sadly) season 35.

Am I wrong in thinking that Who re-launch adopted the "season" name since it is not in a serial format like it used to be?

Perhaps you can call it Season 9 Series 35 ;)

All this "season" nonsense, is a recent americanism. You could say "they redecorated". Hmm. I don't like it.

There's nowt wrong with "series".

Until TTOATL, DW was not a serial. Yes, it has reccuring themes and characters, but it does not warrant the title of "serial".

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But where's the soundtrack release?

Nothing to report on that, but every now and then I Google "Murray Gold" and "Doctor Who" and explore the news items. I haven't come across any reference to a soundtrack for the latest series, but I sometimes come across interesting article. Here's an interview from July: http://observer.com/2016/07/murray-gold-doctor-whos-constant-companion/

8 hours ago, pete said:

Nothing to report on that, but every now and then I Google "Murray Gold" and "Doctor Who" and explore the news items. I haven't come across any reference to a soundtrack for the latest series, but I sometimes come across interesting article. Here's an interview from July: http://observer.com/2016/07/murray-gold-doctor-whos-constant-companion/

Article looks really interesting, but that site refuses to let me read the whole thing.

Instead, it keeps opening nonsense advert sites on my phone after about a minute or so.

Very annoying! :(

13 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Article looks really interesting, but that site refuses to let me read the whole thing.

Instead, it keeps opening nonsense advert sites on my phone after about a minute or so.

Very annoying! :(

Anyway, using my computer now instead of my phone, I was able to read it fine.

Thanks for posting it, @pete!

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I bought some Doctor Who coasters off of Etsy.  They should be arriving this week.  Never used the site before, so I'm hoping the quality doesn't suck, but the designs were cool.

Pictures, when you get them, if you please!

The bit where the Doctor explains to Jo that Alpha Centauri is hermaphrodite is quietly extraordinary, in a way ... it's something that I doubt you'd have found in a post-watershed drama in 1972, never mind a Saturday teatime family-viewing one. 

Started up season (Richard, please be kind) 9, first episode.  Aside from the weird guitar playing thing it was pretty solid.  Admittedly I'm getting a bit tired of the Missy character, wish they wouldn't have used her again so soon after the finale from the previous year.  Figured they would have left that a mystery for a while.

Just finished episode 5, 'The Girl Who Died'.  I'm no longer in the habit of consistently remarking on my progress in the series, but I have to say this was a strange one.  For 90% of it, it was grade C level Doctor Who, and then the last 10 minutes felt suddenly much more important and weighty. 

As a side note, nice music cue at the end along with a cool 360 shot to close it out.

Okay, so season 9 wrap-up. 

It felt quick, but that's most likely a result of having so many two-parters.   The whole thing just flew by.  Aside from "Sleep No More" everything else either had a direct sequel or had direct connective tissue with the next episode, ending the whole affair with what is essentially a three-parter.  I also watched it over two days, so that didn't help!

The finale "Hell Bent" was everything I've come to expect from Moffat.  It's a good episode, if a bit sloppy at times, and a tad incoherent with certain pieces of story, but I was certainly glad to see Clara come back and get a proper send-off (my second favorite companion).  I'll miss her interacting with Capaldi's Doctor; they're perfect together and could have watched endless seasons with these two.

Moffat has been building up the return of Gallifrey so long that it was odd to see him fumble with it at the end, spoiling this huge moment by simply having the Doctor use his home planet for their technology in order to steal Clara back from the brink of death and then run off again.  However, it did seem that he and Clara had a very emotional bond, one I haven't seen between the Doctor and a companion since Rose/Ten.  So I guess I can mostly buy his single-mindedness in his mission to save her while disregarding his kinship with, and hurrying his reintroduction to, Gallifrey. 

In a lot of ways, his relationship with Clara was one of the strongest and honest I've seen on the show, and his dedication to her was astonishing.  The very last moments before his memory of her fades were hard to watch.  Great acting all around.

I have the Christmas special and then I'm all caught up.  I may go back and watch some of the "Classic" Who.

I would have preferred Clara's death to have 'stuck' ,,, it had a simple, moving resonance in Face The Raven. But no, she's off bouncing round the universe with Arya Stark in a Tardis that looks like a diner.  

18 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

she's off bouncing round the universe with Arya Stark in a Tardis that looks like a diner.  

You say this like it's a negative, when that development had me grinning ear to ear!