John Williams: A Night At The Movies (October 25th 2011, Lincoln Center, New York Philharmonic)

obiwan71

I was thinking of posting this in the Bowl topic... well, surely it deserves a topic on it own.

I've just checked the New York Philharmonic website and it appears that there's a John Williams concert scheduled at the Lincoln Center for the 2011-2012 season, on October 25th.

I've been dreaming of seeing Williams in concert for years, then I guess that's a great opportunity. It's time now that I really think it over and plan my trip.

http://nyphil.org/attend/season/index.cfm?page=eventDetail&eventNum=2328&utm_source=cart_suggest_eventNum_2328

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I see that tickets for the 2011-2012 season, including the Williams performance, are now available to subscribers only. Tickets for the general public, as was confirmed by a website representative today, will be on sale in August only. I hope that seats will still be available at that time.

A friend of mine would love to attend the concert too but would have to order tickets very quickly, as she couldn't take the chance of waiting too much time before buying her tickets (planning her trip with her family and so forth...). Then, she is wondering whether she could subscribe to the New York Philharmonic right now. Well, she could. Real question is: would it mean she could, as a sole subscriber, buy tickets in advance for her AND family members, just for the Williams concert?

Have no idea! Concert program is still unknown of course, I presume that it will feature usual hits from the Maestro. To tell the truth, I don't care much... seeing him in the flesh conducting some wonderful pieces of his work matters more. :D

By the way, I see that tickets for the 2011-2012 season, including the Williams performance, are now available to subscribers only. Tickets for the general public, as was confirmed by a website representative today, will be on sale in August only. I hope that seats will still be available at that time.

A friend of mine would love to attend the concert too but would have to order tickets very quickly, as she couldn't take the chance of waiting too much time before buying her tickets (planning her trip with her family and so forth...). Then, she is wondering whether she could subscribe to the New York Philharmonic right now. Well, she could. Real question is: would it mean she could, as a sole subscriber, buy tickets in advance for her AND family members, just for the Williams concert?

Nope. The way orchestra subscriptions work is that you have to purchase tickets for X-amount of concerts for the subscription season. So while she could order for the Williams concert she'd also have to choose several other concerts at the same time to purchase tickets for.

Don't worry about the tickets selling out though. It is very VERY unlikely the subscription base will sell these tickets out, trust me. It's going to be the general public that will sell the tickets out. In 2007 he did two concerts and both sold out, but not until a week or two before the show. So come August you'll have plenty of time to order tickets for the concert.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of posting this in the Bowl topic... well, surely it deserves a topic on it own.

I've just checked the New York Philharmonic website and it appears that there's a John Williams concert scheduled at the Lincoln Center for the 2011-2012 season, on October 25th.

I've been dreaming of seeing Williams in concert for years, then I guess that's a great opportunity. It's time now that I really think it over and plan my trip.

http://nyphil.org/attend/season/index.cfm?page=eventDetail&eventNum=2328&utm_source=cart_suggest_eventNum_2328

Good thoughts :) Put them into deeds! Probably I can't go...having to finish my thesis... :s

Hello all,

Its been agess since I have posted on here! I randomly decided to check the site for the first time in a while and almost died when I saw John Williams in coming back to Avery Fischer Hall for another concert. Can someone please tell me when this concert was announced?

Edit: Also can someone tell me if "Buy Add-Ons" is the same as purchasing tickets for the event (only option offered on the page) Thanks! :)

Welcome back!

I don't think there's any way to tell WHEN it was announced. Why do you need to know that?

As for your second question, it appears that Buy Add Ons is indeed the same as buying tickets? Very strange website setup.

I was just curious to how quick it may sell out if it was announced a while ago. The past few times he's come to the City he has done a minimum of two shows, its odd that he is only doing one and I definitely do NOT want to miss it. I've been dying to see him again since the day after the 2007 show and this was during the rumors of his retirement era so I was afraid that may have been his last show in New York.

I do hope the program is just specifically his music rather than than the 2007 show.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, my friend, MAG-SI (also a member of this forum) and myself have begun to ponder the possibility of travelling to New York at the end of October to finally fulfill our longtime wish of hearing (and seeing :P) JW conduct his own music at this concert. Given the facts that we live far away from the US, that the Maestro will probably travel less and less as the time passes and that he will certainly never come to Europe (e.g. London) to conduct a concert, this might be our last chance. For us it would be a very expensive trip but maybe we'd just be able to pull it off. :)

So, is anybody else planning to attend this concert (we could meet and go for a drink before or after the concert, of course!)? Can anybody explain the seemingly ridiculously high ticket prices (Price Range: $75.00-$295.00 :o)?! Do you think we'd be able to meet JW for autographs and photos before and after the concert? At the Avery Fisher Hall, where could this be done, has anybody been there yet? Does any of you guys live in NYC and knows of any reasonably priced "overnight facilities"? :P

A huge THANK YOU to any helpful soul which might bother to answer my quesions! :P:D

The ticket prices I seem to remember being slightly cheaper last time he was in NY, but he did 2 nights that year. This year it's just one, so the cost of hiring Williams has to be made back in one night rather than spread out over several. Plus the cost of paying the symphony players, staff, etc ;)

I do plan on going, I'd love to maybe meet before the concert anyone who comes out for this.

Anyone planning to go to this concert?

I am, probably with my girlfriend and another friend, but we're not yet 100 % sure (see my post above - sorry, I wasn't aware that the topic for this concert already existed and thanks to whoever merged them). Which airport are you planning to fly from, Maurizio? I'm still searching for the cheapest plane tickets possibility ... :P

I don't know how much it can be to fly from Slovenia... from Paris, a return flight at that time of the year would cost me around 600 euros at least.

Oh come on, man, you live in one of the world's largest and most important capitals, don't tell me you can't find a direct return flight from Paris to NYC for less than 600 EUR if I found a non-direct return flight (you have to change planes once) from Venice for 485 EUR! :P

I also have a question (again :P). The ticket prices are as follows:

VIP Orchestra $295.00

VIP First Tier Boxes $295.00

Orchestra $225.00

Premium Orchestra $225.00

Premium First Tier $225.00

Second Tier $185.00

Second Tier Mid Boxes $145.00

Second Tier Rear Boxes $115.00

Rear Orchestra $115.00

Third Tier $75.00

Third Tier Boxes $75.00

Can somebody who has already attended a concert in this hall please suggest the seat choice? I found quite a few pics of the hall and it seems to me that choice of $115 or $145 seats wouldn't be all that bad, I think we'd be able to hear and see quite well, only we'd be further away from the stage. Would such seat choice impair my chance to go out of the hall quickly once the concert ends to try and catch JW for an autograph when he comes out? Does anybody have any experience with catching up with him after the concert in this hall? :blink:

I'm still sorting out if I'll be able to organize my trip (money isn't much these days!)

I'll let you know Maglorfin. In the meantime, I guess you should probably go for the Second Tier tickets, you should be able to see and hear perfectly from there.

It. Is. Killing. Me. That I can't attend this show. For a few days I actually toyed with the idea of taking a few days and flying from Sydney to NYC just for this performance (which is utterly insane) but then real life came up and punched me in the face. Hope you enjoy fellas, I'll be there in spirit!

Gary.

Hey garym, sorry to hear that.

On the other hand I just did this insane thing. I have booked a flight from Venice (via Dublin) to NYC for 470€ (670US$). Now I'm waiting for this cheapskate of Maglorfin to do the same. :P

Don't you cheapskate me, you donkey-raping shit-eater! :lol: Flights have been booked this past weekend but an hour or so ago something happened which almost made me grab my computer and throw it out of the window ... :angry:

Here goes: I tried to book - buy the tickets to the concert on the NY Phil website but after almost coming through, got the following message: The performances you selected are on sale exclusively for Subscribers. After purchasing a subscription series to the 2011-2012 season, you may order additional individual tickets in advance of the box office opening to the general public in August 2011.

Shit! :o Does this mean that the tickets for the "outsiders" (non-subscribers) can't be bought sooner than in August?! What if they come out one day, I don't even know about it and I can't check because I can't be in front of my PC that day, and the tickets sell out on me in an hour?! :( I'll go mad, this is my last chance to see and hear JW live and I absolutely CAN'T miss it!

Anyway, I sent a desperate e-mail similar to this post to the NY Phil. In the meantime, if anybody can offer any idea, consolation or advice, speak! ;)

Here's a reply I received from the NY Phil: Thank you for your e-mail. You will be able to purchase tickets to the John Williams concert starting on August 19 at 10:00 AM. We can not take any orders before then unless you subscribe to 4 or more other concerts. Though the concert is expected to sell well, we do expect that there will be seats available on August 19.

Bloody hell. :( Now all I can do is sit and wait for August 19th, log into the NY Phil website precisely at 10am and buy the tickets - IF there'll be any left ... :unsure:

Does any of you guys have a NY Phil subscription and would be so kind to buy the tickets for me (he'd get the money back immediately of course)??? :blink:bowdown

• 2 weeks later...

***SEARCHING A WAY TO GET TICKETS FOR JW A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES ON 25th OCTOBER 2011 IN NEW-YORK***

Hello friends,

I'm from Switzerland and I have already get flight tickets and hotel for 25th october 2011 in New-York.

I'm desesperatly searching a trusted person which is a subscriber of New-York Philharmonic to get 3 tickets for me and my family for this concert.

Since 30 years I'm dreaming of seeing John WILLIAMS on a performance and I finally have the opportunity to realise this.

Can somebody help me?

Best regards

Can't you just use the link in the first post of this thread to buy tickets?

The problem is that if you're not a subscriber, you can not buy ticket until August.

I guess we all feel a bit worried thinking we have to wait until August to buy our precious tickets and hoping there'll be seats available indeed. :unsure:

You know Williams is nearing retirement when all these guys from "my" continent Europe (and elsewhere) are booking flights to NY, without even having booked concert tickets!

Of course, I would do the exact same thing if money and circumstances had allowed it. But they don't (that's 98% certain). Which means I run the risk of never seeing my big musical hero live. If I'm lucky, though, he'll keep doing concerts in the US a couple of years more before he retires - whether LA or NY - and I just have to pray to High Heavens that I'll be able to go then.

Oh come on, man, you live in one of the world's largest and most important capitals, don't tell me you can't find a direct return flight from Paris to NYC for less than 600 EUR if I found a non-direct return flight (you have to change planes once) from Venice for 485 EUR! :P

You guys down on the continent are lucky. No way I could find a ticket from Oslo for less than 550 EUR.

Are there still ferries going to the US? ;)

You know Williams is nearing retirement when all these guys from "my" continent Europe (and elsewhere) are booking flights to NY, without even having booked concert tickets!

You have a point but what else can we do?! :blink: I'm also looking like mad to find somebody who is a NY Phil subscriber and could get the tickets for my company but no luck so far ... :( If the concert does indeed sell out I'm still planning to go to the AFH's box office in case any last-minute tickets surface and if even that fails I'll at least try to catch JW before or after the concert for a photo and an autograph ... I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best, as does MAG-SI and probably a few more people, it's the best we can do I guess ... :|

Thor, take a ferry to London and book a flight from there to NY! :)

We'll get the tickets. I have a feeling. The VIP ones! :)

August. I have until August. . . .

This may turn out to be quite a JWFan reunion. We'll need to plan accordingly--none of this "quick drink" beforehand. We need to make it an event.

In the meantime, I'll be working day and night toward a creative solution for getting there and affording the concert. . . .

- Uni

What if contacting JW and meet him all together in name of JWFan, so far that we could find some tickets???? ;)

The dreams are made to be realised

We'll get the tickets. I have a feeling. The VIP ones! :)

Ever the optimist. I like that. :D

This may turn out to be quite a JWFan reunion. We'll need to plan accordingly--none of this "quick drink" beforehand. We need to make it an event.

Why, that's a helluva idea! :) I totally agree, it would be so cool to actually have a reunion! Let's do it! :D

• 4 months later...

So, as the time draws near I'd like to ask who is also attending this concert, so we could maybe meet and go for a drink before the concert? In case you haven't yet bought the tickets they are still available here (second and third tiers are sold out but there are still (expensive :P) tickets left in first tier and orchestra).

I'll be there too. This will be my second time in NYC. Needless to say, I have fantastic memories of my first stay back in 2008 and am thrilled to go back to attend the concert. :D

I paid $225 for my ticket. I didn't really want to pay that much, but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

... but the last time he was in NYC was 2007, and he's 79 now. He may never come back to NYC after this, so I figured I'd go for it.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines and so was MAG-SI and since we're from that far away, we also felt this was our last chance and one not to be missed. We fly to NYC in exactly one month, so we're pretty much starting the final countdown today ... :)

So, at the moment, there are 4 of us: Joe Brausam, obiwan71, MAG-SI and yours truly, but how about many others - Maurizio, JWfangirl1992, proteussyndrome, Yoda75 and Johnnyecks who all expressed interest/intention to attend this concert? ;)